U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 10:05 PM

41 posts, read 86,786 times

Advertisements

I rent this 2-bedroom APT since last September, and the lease is supposed to end on this April 25. During this period, i am looking for a house, but up to now i have not find my dream house. Now i am still renting the APT month by month, but according to the landlord, my rent will be 100 bucks more than the price I paid previously. This May, we got the rent bill and found the price didn't change. We paid the bill but did not asked the landlord why the rent was not raised. Today we got the rent bill of June and found we are charged for $350 late fee. I called the office, and the manager told me it was the late fee because i did not pay the $100 dollars they raised for May. I said I paid as much as the bill asked for. Why late fee? If they made mistake, should I be responsible?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 11:18 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,659,089 times
You get a bill for your rent? I've never heard of that? Is that something that is done in your region? Or is it just something that landlord does?

Old 05-29-2011, 01:02 AM

594 posts, read 1,221,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaare View Post
I rent this 2-bedroom APT since last September, and the lease is supposed to end on this April 25. During this period, i am looking for a house, but up to now i have not find my dream house. Now i am still renting the APT month by month, but according to the landlord, my rent will be 100 bucks more than the price I paid previously. This May, we got the rent bill and found the price didn't change. We paid the bill but did not asked the landlord why the rent was not raised. Today we got the rent bill of June and found we are charged for $350 late fee. I called the office, and the manager told me it was the late fee because i did not pay the $100 dollars they raised for May. I said I paid as much as the bill asked for. Why late fee? If they made mistake, should I be responsible?
I never sent monthly bills and sound kind of funny...
I only sent bills when they were late
But if this is true, and you got a bill, then you are right, the mistake is theirs, the papers hold more water then a verbal agreement.
Do you have a copy of the bill?? show it to the office and tell them you paid this and that by accepting payment they are accepting the terms of the bill.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:42 AM

31,331 posts, read 69,465,060 times
The LL absolutely has the right to raise the rent but he also has responsibilities in HOW he does that.

if the practice and pattern of the LL has been to send a bill then that becomes the standard.
(just be sure it isn't a late notice that you *think* is a bill)

also, if you have a written lease then material changes to the terms (like an increase in rent)...
need to be stated in writing also. Heck, even petty changes need to be in writing.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:19 AM

Thanks for reply.
Yes, each month we get a bill which states how much rent, gas, electricity we should pay, and we always pay the bill in time. We have the copy and it is not a "late notice"

Old 05-29-2011, 09:18 AM

17,579 posts, read 42,074,031 times
Is there anything in writing at all that talks about the higher rent? A LL can't just verbally change the amount of rent. There needs to be a new lease.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:58 PM

They did stick a notice on my door before the old lease terminated. It said that if i was not going to renew the lease, we would rent month-by-month, so I went to the office and told them I would rent month-by-month. They said OK and told me my rent would be raised $100 more. That's it. No new lease.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:26 PM

17,579 posts, read 42,074,031 times
Quote:
They did stick a notice on my door before the old lease terminated. It said that if i was not going to renew the lease, we would rent month-by-month, so I went to the office and told them I would rent month-by-month. They said OK and told me my rent would be raised $100 more. That's it. No new lease.
Check the laws in your state, but I would be shocked if that is sufficient. You also have the bills they sent you that you could take to court as evidence, where they have absolutely nothing to show the increase was agreed to.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:51 PM

3,482 posts, read 18,269,581 times
Read the original lease. Look for a provision about whe the lease ends. Does it continue on a month to month basis? Does the original lease mention that month to month rent is $100. a month more. It has to be in writing that the rent is increased. the original lease is the key.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:08 PM

2,796 posts, read 5,688,289 times
Quote:
The rent increase is only valid if it was stated in that notice, or some other written paper they sent you. Sounds like the management has its head up its butt. They cant legally evict you or charge you until written notice is given.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting