U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 11:40 AM

2,688 posts, read 7,063,625 times

Advertisements

After reading all these posts from LL's and their horror stories I am very curious about a few things...

A. How many of you have a copy of your States'/Counties LL/Tenant Handbook?

B. How many of you have actually read it?

C. How many of you provide a copy of this handbook to your tenants so they
know you have read it and won't expect to 'get over on you' w/certain issues?

Koale
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 12:23 PM

32,468 posts, read 75,699,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
After reading all these posts from LL's and their horror stories I am very curious about a few things...
"accidental landlord"
It is a critical distinction to remain conscious of.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:18 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,553,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post

A. How many of you have a copy of your States'/Counties LL/Tenant Handbook?

B. How many of you have actually read it?

C. How many of you provide a copy of this handbook to your tenants so they
know you have read it and won't expect to 'get over on you' w/certain issues?

Koale
A yes
B Yes
C Yes only if they ask
You should have a D can I prove the mortgage is up to date and the answer is Yes on all my properties.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:55 PM

3,489 posts, read 18,988,507 times
yes, Yes, No. My lease is 12 pages long. All the provisions are there and if there are any questions I can refer the tenant to the proper place to check legalities or questions about what to do or what is right.
I have only had a question or controversy one time. It was settled in one day by reading the LL/tenant laws.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:59 PM

3,199 posts, read 12,755,657 times
Yes on all 3. We provide a Fair Housing booklet to all tenants when they sign their lease along with our handbook and whatever addenda are necessary.

It's not my job to try a prove something to them before it even occurs. This is simply what professionals do as a part of treating everyone fairly in the same manner, every time. They can do their own personal diligence and also know the laws as they apply to them, too although Realtors or LL's are held to a higher standard because it is a given, that we are better informed because of our position. But I don't babysit people either.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:21 AM

27,053 posts, read 44,085,999 times
Yes on all 3 and if there was a 4th as one person decribed it would be "yes" too!

I have given tenants a paper stating there is no mortgage on the property, so I can't default on a mortgage or get a lis pendens due to a not paid mortgage.

Is there some where we can get a similar thing about tenants?

Old 05-31-2011, 01:43 PM

4,919 posts, read 21,799,147 times
A - Yes I have a copy and I have a copy with special notes as well.
B - Not only did I read it but by financial backer required i take a CC course on LL Tenant laws.
C - The LL Tenant Laws are reference at the begining of the lease. (Its not reprinted but the entire laws are listed by Title and Chapter) and the tenat must intiial that they understand and it's their responsibility to understand that these are the laws that are part of the lease.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:47 AM

54 posts, read 132,238 times
A. yes

B. yes

C. yes

I can honestly say that good screening and following the laws makes most cases fairly simple. The only time I've ever had concerns is when I have rented to friends - blurring the line between professional and personal.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:38 AM

6,952 posts, read 21,600,871 times
yes, yes, no

Old 06-02-2011, 09:55 AM

8,047 posts, read 27,043,228 times
yes, yes, no

Ours are available online from the attorney general's office, via a quick google search, and are over 50 pages. With around 100 rentals, that is a ton of wasted paper for people who will never read them anyway. I will gladly make a copy if requested to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>