Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 03:26 PM

3 posts, read 5,769 times

Advertisements

I have a tenant that the original lease was renewed every three months. In July I was at property to find large hole cut into barn in Novemeber I was at property and found MY storage building ( no in use by her) opened and unlocked. At the July incident I informed her that because of damage to property the lease was now month to month. In may I notified her that the lease would not be renewed and she was to vacate by June 1st. It is farm property an she has outside animals i agreeed to and inside dog I didnt not agree to. She is telling me she doesnt have to vacate until she finds suitable housing for her animals. She has not even begun to take donw temp fencing etc. I will be posting 3 day notice to vacate tomorrow but she is not leaving. I know this is gonna end up in court and I am alittle nervous.

ANy one familar with ohio law and care to help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 03:42 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmmom6 View Post
I know this is gonna end up in court and I am alittle nervous.
Yep, can get messy. You may not be under the Ohio Landlord Tanant Code but under the Farm/Agriculture lease laws that have similar protection for you and the tenant but has sooo much more protections for the tenat's animals. It may end up being up to a judge to decide when she must vacate and under what conditions, if they even say you can. If she;'s paying rent, they can say that damages can't be impossed until she vacates or they may see it as normal farming damages (similar to residential tenant wear & tear).

What does your lawyer or property managment company say and do they have experience in this type of thing? What about other farmers or ranchers who rent, can you get a heads up as to what can happen from them?

You need to first find out which of the laws you operate under.

Last edited by PacificFlights; 05-31-2011 at 03:53 PM..

Old 05-31-2011, 04:29 PM

I cant imagine that cutting a hole in a barn would be considered normal wear and tear. I will check the laws. I didnt rent it as a farm I rented residental it only has 5 acres and she has alpacas.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:57 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmmom6 View Post
I cant imagine that cutting a hole in a barn would be considered normal wear and tear. I will check the laws. I didnt rent it as a farm I rented residental it only has 5 acres and she has alpacas.
That's the big mistake landlords make, they use their own personal beliefs to replace what the law says. Although you can't imagine something, the law may have a different way of looking at it. As for farm/agricultural/ranch or all the terms they put on it, if over 2 acres and has farm animals (alpacas are not pets) your idea of renting it as residential may have flown right out the window. Hopefully the lease was written well enough to make it clear what it was. But leases can also have lots of stuff in it that a court says isn't valid because it didn;t follow soemthing else. I would suggest getting hold of a lawyer who know residential AND farm/agriculture or ranch leases.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:06 PM

thanks for you help I comppletely understand your point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting