Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 10:50 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times

Advertisements

HUD Section 8 Senior Apts Seems to Over look these things.... BUT Break 1 tiny rule YOUR OUT!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 08:41 PM

555 posts, read 877,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
HUD Section 8 Senior Apts Seems to Over look these things.... BUT Break 1 tiny rule YOUR OUT!!
This complex is not for Section 8, but is a Federal low-income tax credit program complex. That is where the rent you pay depends on your income. My social security income is just a bit too high to qualify for the lowest rent. But I will get on a waiting list for the second lowest rent units.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:45 PM

I Live in Fed low-income tax credit apts YES they Do take Section 8!

Old 06-04-2011, 05:23 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodomonte View Post
This complex is not for Section 8, but is a Federal low-income tax credit program complex. That is where the rent you pay depends on your income. My social security income is just a bit too high to qualify for the lowest rent. But I will get on a waiting list for the second lowest rent units.
Same difference.

That's the only reason you got accepted. It's govt housing for seniors and when it's income based housing, they do take section 8.

I seriously doubt you'd ever be able to rent anywhere else, so I'm glad you found a place.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:00 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
I just got the word yesterday that my application was approved at a senior appartment complex in Arizona, despite having a bankruptcy and an eviction on my record. I have noted a number of LL's on this forum stating they would automatically reject a person with either of those negatives. The complex I am in now also knew about these things and took me anyway.

It obviously helped immensely that I wrote cogent explanations for both mishaps. The BK was essentially all medical bills and I attached the Schedule F from my bankruptcy filing which lists all unsecured debts so they could see this. The eviction I allowed to occur by stopping my rent payments because the LL refused to maintain the heat/AC. I had the city building inspector order her to install a new heat pump and attached that order to my application. The $1000+ judgement that LL got against me in court was discharged in the BK. It cost her over $1000 to evict me, which was my intent.

Anything is possible.
Congratulations. I would certainly accept you as a tenant with those explanations and documentation. Times are hard these days and many good people have been caught in difficult circumstances in spite of their best intentions.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:13 PM

555 posts, read 877,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Same difference.

That's the only reason you got accepted. It's govt housing for seniors and when it's income based housing, they do take section 8.

I seriously doubt you'd ever be able to rent anywhere else, so I'm glad you found a place.
You may be right, although I can't find anything about Section 8 on their web site or on the application form they sent me.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:37 PM

Tax Cr Apts Dont help you get Section 8... They do except Section 8 Renters! Section 8 goes by your income [You pay about 30% out of pocket] IF you cant afford the apt you might want to go to your local HUD office & apply for Section 8...

Old 06-07-2011, 06:01 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
You may be right, although I can't find anything about Section 8 on their web site or on the application form they sent me.

Not too many places openly advertise that they take section 8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting