Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 07:54 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by liko760 View Post
I saw some about ways to evict people being one three days pay or quit). I know I have to go via the court procedure, but I hear horror stories make this a very long process. At times giving breaks to the tenants to giving them extra time (30 days to 60 days before they are evicted).
It's going to be at least 30 days, no matter how you handle it - and maybe longer. A Three-Day Notice to Pay Rent or Quit does not mean you can kick the tenant out in three days! You will still have to go through the eviction process.

Definitely time to do some research on evictions in your state...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 02:07 AM

13 posts, read 17,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modsquad81 View Post
Get off the computer and spend part of a day at the court of jurisdiction for landlord/tenant. You will discover 2 things, court clerks are available for initial filings for both tenants and landlords- that's free. If you keep it to a simple non-payment you might, just might be able to do this yourself. Much of the lessor courts are set up to do simple motions for the non lawyer, from giving legal notice to taking your judgement to the sheriff for physical eviction. By the end of the day you will have a pretty good idea of how long it will take. Many of the horror stories you hear and read about involve professional tenant litigants who can play the system to their advantage.
The other thing you'll discover is who the landlord lawyers are. The guy with the shiniest pants and tallest pile of briefs is the guy to talk to. I would recommend a lawyer. Non payments are nobrainers for these guys and they know how to do it the quickest.
I might be a jerk but i give real advice contrary to others who offer gratuitous regurgitations from hammering the keyboard with their johnson.
Believe me this is advice I need what to do exactly and some brief explantions of what I will have to go through. I really appreciate straight to the point it really means a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
It's going to be at least 30 days, no matter how you handle it - and maybe longer. A Three-Day Notice to Pay Rent or Quit does not mean you can kick the tenant out in three days! You will still have to go through the eviction process.

Definitely time to do some research on evictions in your state...
Well I was pretty sure it wouldn't be 3 days and hes out, but 30 days sounds about right. Ya I have been doing research.

The thing is to see how things go through by this week (if she will pay the rent or not) if not than its the next prosecures to take. Making decisions etc (my dad being the one in the final world), but I feel I have to help since he really doesnt get English. Believe me I appreciate all the advice.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:06 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Here is the California Landlord/Tenant website. Landlord/Tenant Book Index - California Department of Consumer Affairs

It has advice regaring terminating and evicting a tenant. Note: California laws heavily favor the tenant and the landlord can create some real problems and penalties for themselves if they do not do everything by the book. Proceed with caution here.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:43 PM

13 posts, read 17,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Here is the California Landlord/Tenant website. Landlord/Tenant Book Index - California Department of Consumer Affairs

It has advice regaring terminating and evicting a tenant. Note: California laws heavily favor the tenant and the landlord can create some real problems and penalties for themselves if they do not do everything by the book. Proceed with caution here.
Thanks I will check into that. Apparently she paid half and is working out (which seems progress on her side). I will take that into note just incase things get worse. Thanks for the link.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:50 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Did I say anything about it's "poor English skills"??? It's you my friend that has made a presumption about what I may or not have meant. I asked a simple question.

You didn't have to, your question spoke volumes. And I'm not your friend.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:08 AM

979 posts, read 4,456,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
You didn't have to, your question spoke volumes. And I'm not your friend.
Like ah said befo'e Mr. Kim ah mebbe a jerk but ah give real advice. Thet advice may be laced wif sarcasm o' me jest tryin' t'be funny, Nevah th' less it's advice culled fum 25 years of bein' involved in lan'lo'd/tenant litigashun corntrary t'th' googlin' frenzy thet stay at home loner dweebs parttake in, as enny fool kin plainly see. Have a nice day! Fry mah hide!

Old 06-07-2011, 07:11 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Like ah said befo'e Mr. Kim ah mebbe a jerk but ah give real advice. Thet advice may be laced wif sarcasm o' me jest tryin' t'be funny, Nevah th' less it's advice culled fum 25 years of bein' involved in lan'lo'd/tenant litigashun corntrary t'th' googlin' frenzy thet stay at home loner dweebs parttake in, as enny fool kin plainly see. Have a nice day! Fry mah hide!

I hope whatever state your mama is homeschooling you in, requires some sort of yearly testing. However, special ed might be exempt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting