Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 10:53 PM

402 posts, read 1,406,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicegurl View Post
. . . He responds sporadically, if at all, and texts replies in brief sentences. . . . He also seems to be reluctant to sign the new rental agreement (he has until July 1st). It's as though he's afraid of something, which I also don't understand because there's nothing written in the agreement that is underhanded. I have repeatedly left messages asking him to return my calls, and I have sent text messages letting him know that I would like to speak with him. I really feel that he is deliberately screening and ignoring my calls.

Any suggestions, recommendations, and advice on how to handle this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to your replies!

P.S. he has been, and continues to pay his rent on time.
I would reccommend another property manager, ASAP. You are too far away to manage the property and your tenant is aware of this. A tenant who is reluctant to sign a lease or communicate with a LL is a bad sign. I would have the property manager do periodic inspections (ie. once a month) as well.

I would issue a 30-day-notice, in writing, with an explanation that it will be recinded IF he signs a new lease.

I had a similar situation, so I undertand your frustration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 11:04 PM

724 posts, read 1,685,791 times
Honestly, you sound pretty annoying. I would probably leave if I had to deal with this. You do have a lease agreement with him. It is just in the month to month phase. There is no legal reason to get him to sign. Just leave this guy alone and keep collecting your checks. The fact is you are hounding him to sign a lease when he is perfectly happy to go month to month. Not cool.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:07 PM

172 posts, read 394,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
This is only June 9th. You said you have called, texted, and emailed him. Sounds like you're harassing him. Send him a letter, give him a time frame to contact you. It's possible he is on vacation or otherwise unavailable.

I agree with your friend, stop hounding him to sign a lease/agreement. He's been on month-to-month for 5 years and pays his rent on time with no hassle. What more do you want? Send him the info on who to call for service calls/repairs and where to send the monthly rent. Remind him about the security deposit in the letter. And just let him be. Sounds like you've got a great situation but you could easily have him running for the hills and then you'll be looking for a new tenant.
He has not been on a month-to-month for 5 years. He's just been faithfully paying every month without any type of legal contract. And that's what's bothering me. I am leaving him be though. At least until the 1st of July. Even if he decides to move, pretty much wherever he goes, he will have to sign some type of rental agreement.

Thanks for replying!

Old 06-11-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
Honestly, you sound pretty annoying. I would probably leave if I had to deal with this. You do have a lease agreement with him. It is just in the month to month phase. There is no legal reason to get him to sign. Just leave this guy alone and keep collecting your checks. The fact is you are hounding him to sign a lease when he is perfectly happy to go month to month. Not cool.
I don't want him to sign a lease. I explained to him that I just want him to sign a month-to-month rental agreement. As it stands right now, there is no written legal contract between the two of us. Even if he were to move, he'd still be required to sign a legal agreement by the new landlord.

Thanks for replying.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:13 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
I don't know the law, but is it not true that if they initially signed a landlord-tenant agreement that the terms would stay the same except it would default to month-to-month? Sounds like it is time for a property inspection and a face-to-face meeting. If you want to have a lease to protect you and they won't give you one, then you can always give notice . . .don't know how hard it might be to find a new tenant. Ask then why they do not want to sign a lease. It could be for six months and renewable . . .whatever works for you.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:25 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,009 times
SpoofCard - Caller ID Spoofing, Voice Changing & Call Recording | Prank Calls when a tenant will not answer your call

Old 06-11-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I don't know the law, but is it not true that if they initially signed a landlord-tenant agreement that the terms would stay the same except it would default to month-to-month? Sounds like it is time for a property inspection and a face-to-face meeting. If you want to have a lease to protect you and they won't give you one, then you can always give notice . . .don't know how hard it might be to find a new tenant. Ask then why they do not want to sign a lease. It could be for six months and renewable . . .whatever works for you.
He signed an agreement with the property management company, but they are no longer in the picture. Now that I am managing the property myself, I would like to have a legal agreement between the two of us.

He has until July 1st to sign the rental agreement. And yes, I do plan on going down to L.A. at the end of the month. I'm not sure how hard it would be to find a new tenant either. During the past six years that the tenant has been living in my condo, I have only raised the rent once. My mortgage is cheap. So I've informed him that because he has been such a good tenant, I have no intention of raising the rent unless the HOA fees increase significantly.

Thanks for your advice.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Time View Post
I would reccommend another property manager, ASAP. You are too far away to manage the property and your tenant is aware of this. A tenant who is reluctant to sign a lease or communicate with a LL is a bad sign. I would have the property manager do periodic inspections (ie. once a month) as well.

I would issue a 30-day-notice, in writing, with an explanation that it will be recinded IF he signs a new lease.

I had a similar situation, so I undertand your frustration.
True. I have actually been considering hiring another property management company. First, I will wait until July 1st to see if he signs the lease. If not, I'll need a new management company to find me a new tenant.

How did you handle your situation? Why did the tenant not want to sign the lease?

Thanks for your adivice.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:03 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicegurl View Post
He has not been on a month-to-month for 5 years. He's just been faithfully paying every month without any type of legal contract. And that's what's bothering me. I am leaving him be though. At least until the 1st of July. Even if he decides to move, pretty much wherever he goes, he will have to sign some type of rental agreement.

Thanks for replying!
Most leases just revert to month to month when the initial time period ends with all the items of the initial lease being carried over except for the actual term of the lease.

Do you have the initial lease?

Old 06-12-2011, 12:12 AM

157 posts, read 504,775 times
He could be out of sorts, just really, really, out of sorts. There are some people who do not respond to business situations in a timely manner, no matter what, and then some people who get in a depressed mode and don't respond for ages. Actually, could be a medical problem. Give him the benefit of the doubt until July 1. Based upon his action, or lack of action, on the first, make your next move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting