Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 02:54 PM

860 posts, read 2,716,348 times

Advertisements

We only have a few more weeks left on our lease of our rental home. We have 4 kids and 2 cats and its Summer so the kids are always here.

We moved here from Indiana to Arizona exactly a year ago, and I now recall that my husband, who was here first, was not let in to see the inside of the home as the tenants were moving out. This is a property management company and by the way we were greeted by a dirty stove and fridge, as well as unspeakable toilet backs. Oh and spackle all over. I just dealt with it myself to avoid losing our privacy.

So now I am told "things are going quickly" and i should expect to have to show our home while packingand cleaning, risking theft of our things and our cats going outside. They used to be outdoor cats and its a struggle to keep them in at times.

Clearly, I don't want to show the home that we were not shown and able to inspect. I plan on leaving it spotless with nice prof. clean carpets.They need to paint the place and deep clean the black grout anyhow, so it WILL NOT be move in ready on July 1. Do I have a legal obligation in Arizona to vacate the home for showings to new tenants?

Thank you in advance for any replies!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 02:58 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hart4july View Post
Do I have a legal obligation in Arizona to vacate the home for showings to new tenants?
I don't know the laws in Arizona, but if all you're asking is to be there when the house is shown, so the cats don't get out, I can't imagine that being a problem. Is your rental company really suggesting that you HAVE to be out of the house when they show it?

Old 06-13-2011, 02:59 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,327 times
Quote:
We only have a few more weeks left on our lease of our rental home. We have 4 kids and 2 cats and its Summer so the kids are always here.

We moved here from Indiana to Arizona exactly a year ago, and I now recall that my husband, who was here first, was not let in to see the inside of the home as the tenants were moving out. This is a property management company and by the way we were greeted by a dirty stove and fridge, as well as unspeakable toilet backs. Oh and spackle all over. I just dealt with it myself to avoid losing our privacy.

So now I am told "things are going quickly" and i should expect to have to show our home while packingand cleaning, risking theft of our things and our cats going outside. They used to be outdoor cats and its a struggle to keep them in at times.

Clearly, I don't want to show the home that we were not shown and able to inspect. I plan on leaving it spotless with nice prof. clean carpets.They need to paint the place and deep clean the black grout anyhow, so it WILL NOT be move in ready on July 1. Do I have a legal obligation in Arizona to vacate the home for showings to new tenants?

I think it depends on what your lease says. When we rented our house there was a clause in the lease stating the tenants agree to show the property to prospective buyers and their agents. We did have to give the legal 48 hour notice though.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:02 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Your lease and state law will say what can be done. Most leases will require you cooperate with a showing. You state law will say what is reasonabkle time and under what conditions you can refuse. It does not matter what happened when you were moving in, that's in the past and if you didn't say anything, didn;t do a walk through, accepted it in the condition it was in, too bad. The way its being done now is all that matters.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:24 PM

That's what I thought, no option. When we showed our home for sale,it was always vacant.

I guess we can stay but I cannot say my attitude will be that great.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:39 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
I can't imagine you would actually have to leave the house. What does your lease say?

Old 06-14-2011, 01:05 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,887,890 times
You need to read the lease and see what it says about notice to move and showing to re-let. If there is no clause about showings, then read the Arizona laws(on-line) and fiollow that as a guide.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:54 PM

Yes I am looking for the lease now, as clearly that is the guide. I am also going to take some great pix in case the PMI will like those as an alternative.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:00 PM

402 posts, read 1,406,393 times
Cool Yes, but you can stay and hold your kitty.

Quote:
Do I have a legal obligation in Arizona to vacate the home for showings to new tenants?

Most leases state that that there MAY be showings during your tenancy.

1) Usually you MUST be notified 24-hours in advance. An owner or property manager CANNOT come in any time that they feel like showing the property.

2) They would PREFER that you were not there, but they CANNOT make you leave during showings.

I have purchased houses in which the previous owner and (once) tenants stayed there during the showings. It was awkward, but it happened.

I would just round up all of the kids and pets and sit together (watching a movie--maybe) in one room until the prospective tenant leaves.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:44 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
If you refuse to show it they can deduct money from your security deposit since they were not able to rent it sooner...by law in Florida a tenant has to be reasonable to allow a showing after having given notice or when the lease is ending...

You have nothing to do with the prior tenants and why they didn't show it is not your business and you don't know what and if money was deducted.

Complaining about how dirty it was back then only makes sense if you have proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting