Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 12:38 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,503 times

Advertisements

Ok, my tenant just put in her notice. We now live 2000 miles away, but I think this would be a good time to put in new carpet, since it's pretty old. How should I approach this? Should I give the new prospective tenants a choice ("please choose from these three lovely samples") or give them a carpet allowance (of course, then I could end up with neon green carpet) or just change the carpet to whatever we want and go from there?

To other landlords, how have you dealt with this? Doesn't it make sense to do this now, while it is vacant?

To renters, what option would entice you to rent this house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 01:31 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
carpet color? spilled coffee beige

Old 06-20-2011, 01:41 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Ok, my tenant just put in her notice. We now live 2000 miles away, but I think this would be a good time to put in new carpet, since it's pretty old. How should I approach this? Should I give the new prospective tenants a choice ("please choose from these three lovely samples") or give them a carpet allowance (of course, then I could end up with neon green carpet) or just change the carpet to whatever we want and go from there?

To other landlords, how have you dealt with this? Doesn't it make sense to do this now, while it is vacant?

To renters, what option would entice you to rent this house?
yes it makes sense to do it now. Less disruptive all around. Unless you already have a tenant, forget about asking them, just pick a nice neutral color. Keep in mind, the carpet will last 5 years so don't go too crazy.

I am not a renter but from what I see, the offer that would entice a renter is to go to a solid flooring, no carpet. It will cost 3 times as much but easily makes up for it in durability. My feeling is, if tenants want carpets, they can do area rugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
carpet color? spilled coffee beige
Good choice!!

Old 06-20-2011, 02:08 PM

Thanks for the input!

The only reason I hesitate with solid flooring is what a huge investment it is. But I guess they can do less damage to it? But I'm sure it would be a big selling point, especially if it's brand new.

I can write this expense off on my taxes, right?

Old 06-20-2011, 02:11 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
I agree. If you don't have a property management company (which I definitely think is a mistake if you are 2000 miles away), you should coordinate this yourself. I would suggest using a big company unless you know someone personally in the area (it sounds like you might have previously lived in the area where the rental is). Someone like RC Willey, or whoever is in both locations. That way, you can pick a color where you are, and then have it installed at the other end.

I would also pick a nice basic neutral. Personally, I like medium tan with flecks (the flecks seem to hide stains and discoloration more)

Old 06-20-2011, 02:14 PM

I do have a property mgmt company, but they look to me for direction on how we want this handled. We had it professionally cleaned before this tenant moved in, but the carpet was originally installed in 1997!!! (Although we did keep it very clean and in good condition).

Old 06-20-2011, 02:28 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
We are experimenting with Mannington's commerical Natures path flooring. It's actually a composite vinyl material that looks and feels like real wood but isn;t. It comes in about 2 dozen wood looking spieces. You can also repair each plank instead of having to replace a whole room. So far (2 years in use) it looks as good as the day it was first put down. We are looking at another brand also but their prices are a bit more and nothing about it seems to be worth the extra cost.
(FYI, one tenant did use area rugs that were put down with double sided tape and when removed, didn;t do anythingt ot he floor). Just another option.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
We are experimenting with Mannington's commerical Natures path flooring. It's actually a composite vinyl material that looks and feels like real wood but isn;t. It comes in about 2 dozen wood looking spieces. You can also repair each plank instead of having to replace a whole room. So far (2 years in use) it looks as good as the day it was first put down. We are looking at another brand also but their prices are a bit more and nothing about it seems to be worth the extra cost.
(FYI, one tenant did use area rugs that were put down with double sided tape and when removed, didn;t do anythingt ot he floor). Just another option.
Can I get commercial flooring if I just have this one unit?

Old 06-20-2011, 02:44 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Thanks for the input!

The only reason I hesitate with solid flooring is what a huge investment it is. But I guess they can do less damage to it? But I'm sure it would be a big selling point, especially if it's brand new.

I can write this expense off on my taxes, right?
Mr. Book, I am not trying to be insulting but if you are asking if this is deductible, then you need to either get yourself educated in rental tax law or use an accountant. It is pretty complicated and the question you asked is pretty basic.

To address your question, flooring, as is everything is deductible. Some things are deducted as repairs and some as improvements. Improvements are normally depreciated over what the government feels is its lifespan. (you deduct part of it each year)

Flooring is an improvement. However, one of the bills passed this year in an effort to stimulate job growth, you can deduct 100% of capital improvements in 2011.

Whether that deduction will result in less income taxes you would pay or a raising of the cost basis of the property (or some of each) will depend on a few things like how much you make and how active you are in the rental.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:45 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Ah, good, then you can just tell them how much you want to spend on it, and let them coordinate the whole thing, or you can pick it, order it, and let them just coordinate the install, whichever.

As Downtown Ventura said, some tenants like hard floors. Personally, I hate them as an occupant. I don't like hard floors and I don't like area rugs. I will likely always choose carpets As a landlord, though, I do like them. They are harder to damage, last longer, and are easier to clean.

Check with your accountant, *Deleted the rest about deductions as Downtown Ventura said it much better*

Last edited by Lacerta; 06-20-2011 at 02:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting