Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 09:15 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,013,150 times

Advertisements

I live in a CA apartment complex and I'm pretty sure 6-7 people are living in an adjacent 2BR unit. My assumption is that they are violating their lease by having so many people staying there. My only reservation about reporting this is that the parents have two children in grade school. On the flip side there are a couple of teenagers living there that are rather loud and obnoxious and it would almost certainly quiet down if they were gone. Am I out of line to think that I pay good money for my apartment which entitles me to live in relative peace?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 09:49 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,354,139 times
my POV is "what my neighbors do is none of my business"-- unless someone is being harmed or there's violence.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:19 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,361,116 times
You follow the rules, why shouldn't everyone else have to? If the extra people are making it noisy as you say, the quality of life there would be improved if they left.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:57 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,921,395 times
Within the limits of a quality-of-life issue, I don't see the problem. Your complaint is about excessive noise coming from the apartment, not the high number of people living there.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:57 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
keep your mouth shut mind your own business.

it isnt for you to deceide what people are doing.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:10 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,757,759 times
I reported someone like this years ago, but only because they were loud, always having knock down drag out fights that spilled over into the breezeway, had tons of cars filling th elot so the rest of us had a hard time parking, etc. This was also several adults living in the apartment, not a family with kids. In this case, the property restrictiosn dealt with the number of unrelated adults living there anyway, so having a ton of kids might not have even been an issue.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:26 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Teens are most likely one of the couples kids from another partner & friends! IF they are LOUD & Rude I would report them to the PARENTS!! Not the LL!

Old 06-29-2011, 09:22 AM

912 posts, read 5,259,053 times
If your neighbors are incredibly loud and bother you, then definitely report it to the LL.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:50 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
I live in a CA apartment complex and I'm pretty sure 6-7 people are living in an adjacent 2BR unit. My assumption is that they are violating their lease by having so many people staying there. My only reservation about reporting this is that the parents have two children in grade school. On the flip side there are a couple of teenagers living there that are rather loud and obnoxious and it would almost certainly quiet down if they were gone. Am I out of line to think that I pay good money for my apartment which entitles me to live in relative peace?
If the noise is seriously bothering you then of course put that in writing to the LL and ask that steps be taken to to ensure that the noise level is reduced. If the noise is extremely loud and the LL does nothing then you can always call the local PD but, if doing that, make sure you know the noise ordinances applicable in your state as most are adjudged on hours of day/night.

As far as an assumption of over-occupancy, leave that one alone. The LL will need to investigate your noise complaint and then they can figure out if something is amiss where occupancy is concerned.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:40 PM

232 posts, read 1,653,688 times
I would say report them, and here is why:

In my complex, water bills are determined by the number of buildings on the property, the number of units in each building, and then the number of people in each unit. We don't have individual meters, it is all divided out by the number of people on the lease.

My apartment has 4 people: me, my husband, and our two young children. We are paying for water based on a residency of 4 people. If someone else on the property has 10 people in the unit, but the lease says they have 4, then they are paying for water for only 4 people.

Everyone else would have to pay a slightly higher cost because of their increased water use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting