Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 01:26 PM

935 posts, read 3,447,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Again, it is in there because of the bad behavior of a few. After the first time a landlord gets a party house, they add a similar clause. Otherwise, you get tenants who move in 15 people for their entire lease term, and call them "guests" and the landlord has absolutely no grounds to evict, can't charge extra deposit, and can't raise the rent. It isn't meant to limit the activities of normal people with normal common sense, but to protect the landlord and owner from tenants who think they can do whatever they want.

Sorry you don't like it, but every single clause in my lease is in there because someone did something stupid.

Our lease did used to say just "no smoking in the house", but too many people couldn't and didn't follow that rule, so we had to make it more strict.

Same thing with guests, we didn't use to define a time frame, we just said "no excessive guests", but people took advantage of that as well, because it was too vague. So now it is more specific.

As in many other things in life, the bad behavior of a few ruin it for the majority. We have these rules because "common sense" isn't as common as we would like to think.
The cafeteria at my office used to put out bowls of butter and cream cheese to have with our (purchased) bagels and toast. Recently they took away the bowls of butter and cream cheese and put out little packets. They charge $.10/butter and $.50/cream cheese. When I asked why they would possibly make such a poor PR move, they sited a few folks who would abuse it and "take too much." Well, they alienated me--a reasonable customer who bought toast or a bagel every day--to the point that I just started bringing my own from home. So now who will buy from them? The abusers are no longer interested and at a decent percentage of their good customers will spend less there now. It takes brains.

Whatever you're reasons and experiences, I have a feeling that if I read your lease terms, I'd sense that you were a control freak who might try to micro manage my tenancy. I've had LL's like this before and its awful. So I'd choose to live somewhere else. What tenants are you left with then? Probably just pushovers who can't think for themselves, and those will probably end up with drug addicts for boyfriends.

Of course, I'm being hyperbolic, but there is also truth in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 01:37 PM

455 posts, read 633,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Again, it is in there because of the bad behavior of a few. After the first time a landlord gets a party house, they add a similar clause. Otherwise, you get tenants who move in 15 people for their entire lease term, and call them "guests" and the landlord has absolutely no grounds to evict, can't charge extra deposit, and can't raise the rent. It isn't meant to limit the activities of normal people with normal common sense, but to protect the landlord and owner from tenants who think they can do whatever they want.

Sorry you don't like it, but every single clause in my lease is in there because someone did something stupid.

Our lease did used to say just "no smoking in the house", but too many people couldn't and didn't follow that rule, so we had to make it more strict.

Same thing with guests, we didn't use to define a time frame, we just said "no excessive guests", but people took advantage of that as well, because it was too vague. So now it is more specific.

As in many other things in life, the bad behavior of a few ruin it for the majority. We have these rules because "common sense" isn't as common as we would like to think.
How much notice needs to be given for eviction?

Old 07-20-2011, 02:05 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman View Post
How much notice needs to be given for eviction?
According to our state law, one of the valid reasons you can give a 3 day eviction is for violation of the lease. So we technically could give a 3 day notice. Typically that only happens though if there is something either illegal or damaging to the property that is happening. So, if they were smoking in the house, we would give a 3 day notice, since damage is current and ongoing. If they were just smoking out in the yard, and the neighbors were complaining of butts in the yard, but there was no current smoke smell or evidence of smoke damage in the house, or if I see them smoking in the parking lot before coming in to pay rent and they walk in reeking of smoke, we would probably give 30 days.

If they are smoking only socially on rare occasion, and I never see or smell it, and the house doesn't smell and they don't leave butts in the driveway, and the neighbors don't complain, then I'm unlikely to ever know, and there is no problem. Those rare breeds might as well be classified as non-smokers. But there are many more people who THINK they fall in this category than who actually DO.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:00 AM

4 posts, read 4,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMOGAJAD View Post
I would not mention Facebook. I would however (as a non-smoker) readily detect cigarette smoke on their clothes and breath, in which case I would not rent to them. I live in Alaska. Many prospective tenants have stated: "Yeah, I smoke, but only on the porch." Scenario: It's -15 degrees at 2 am and the wind is blowing. These folks are going to spend 10 minutes dressing up like Nanook of the North to stand in sub-zero weather to suck on a butt? Get real; that's not happening. As an ex-smoker, I find cigarette smoke repugnant; it gets in everything fabric and is very difficult to remove.
It gets below zero here and we really do smoke outside. We either remote start the car or walk out to the shed. I even quit for four months myself and hated the smell too-I don't see how someone can't smell it on another person. I don't know that I would even want a landlord who was spying on me on Facebook. Not that it is not a smart idea but..I don't know, it's quite disturbing to me for some reason.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:21 AM

935 posts, read 3,447,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflybuzzing View Post
It gets below zero here and we really do smoke outside. We either remote start the car or walk out to the shed. I even quit for four months myself and hated the smell too-I don't see how someone can't smell it on another person. I don't know that I would even want a landlord who was spying on me on Facebook. Not that it is not a smart idea but..I don't know, it's quite disturbing to me for some reason.
Its harder to detect on some people. I'm an ex smoker and I've developed that loathing for the smell like every ex-smoker does. My cube mate smokes and I've only ever smelled it on him once in the winter from his jacket. Most of the time I know pretty quickly when someone is a smoker.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:34 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,193,246 times
Wy are you asking if people are smokers? Just because they smoke doesn't mean they smoke inside. I don't smoke, but iwoild assume that the landlord was a douche if I saw this on a rental application. I would also think that a landlord was a douche if he or she was spying on me online.

It's sad how few social skills some people have. Plenty of landlords on here should just go work at whatever menial job they're qualified to do.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:12 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Wy are you asking if people are smokers? Just because they smoke doesn't mean they smoke inside. I don't smoke, but iwoild assume that the landlord was a douche if I saw this on a rental application. I would also think that a landlord was a douche if he or she was spying on me online.

It's sad how few social skills some people have. .
"Why are you asking if people are smokers?"
Because landlords have the right to ensure that their premises remain smoke free if that's their druthers? What don't you understand? A landlord is totally within his rights to ask the question, put the non-smoking clause in the lease agreement and is not a "douche" for doing so. There are many people for whom a smoke-free living environment is important. Be happy that although you're not a smoker and can tolerate second-hand smoke, you aren't afflicted with asthma or COPD where even second hand smoke poses a major problem.

"Spying on line"? With the advent of the internet, NOTHING in cyberspace is privileged or private. Sites such as Facebook have been fair and legal game for many potential employers to look into for a few years now.

Social skills related to taking on the role of a LL? Surely you jest when you apparently assume that a landlord by definition has no social skills? An assumption that, "Plenty of landlords on here should just go work at whatever menial job they're qualified to do"? is rather ludicrous.

What can we learn from your contribution to this thread?

Old 07-21-2011, 01:47 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:

It's sad how few social skills some people have. Plenty of landlords on here should just go work at whatever menial job they're qualified to do.

Unfortunately, as my next door neighbor learned when he had to pay to have everything professionally cleaned, some smokers will say they won't smoke in the house, but then it rains and is cold and they just stand inside with the door open, then next time, maybe not so close to the door, etc. Couple that with the smell coming off them anyway and bam, your house is full of odors.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:46 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:

Somehow I get the feeling these same LL's would have a similar feeling about you.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:34 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman View Post
if the ventilation is adequate, I dont see a problem from any logical/health standpoint.Let's stop being neurotic, I have been very nearly knocked out @ walmart from perfume on these women, but I don't complain, I do laugh about it though. Lol. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflybuzzing View Post
I don't know that I would even want a landlord who was spying on me on Facebook. Not that it is not a smart idea but..I don't know, it's quite disturbing to me for some reason.
Spying on facebook - did you forget that it's supposed to be a "social environment" much like meeting people in public. And how is it different if the landlord sees your pic of you in a place with a butt in your mouth than if he sees you in that place with a butt in your mouth? Pic or real thing, you're still out there for him to see. Neither is spying. Spying implies sneaking, following, etc. No LL or PMC agent has the time, energy, or inclination to do that. The profits aren't enough to pay for that time investment.

Quote:

I don't understand how your thought processes work: social skills related to doing one's job - perhaps you are the one who should work at whatever menial job you're qualified to do since logic is not your forte.

Machines to rid an apt/house/hotel room of the smoke smell are quite expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting