Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 05:16 PM

109 posts, read 554,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
A woman who lets emotions rule her life like that shouldn't own a home. Surprised she has her head on strait enough to pay the bills each month. Hopefully she defaults and finds an apartment where nobody died
That's a little cruel, I think. She is a very responsible person, great friend and smart in business. I think she is mostly freaked out by the fact that the death occurred such a short time ago. If it were 20 or even 10 years ago, she wouldn't sweat it, but the fact that a previous owner, or one of them, committed suicide just 3 years ago, just a year before she bought it, that's what makes her feel uneasy to the point she wouldn't live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 07:50 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
A woman who lets emotions rule her life like that shouldn't own a home. Surprised she has her head on strait enough to pay the bills each month. Hopefully she defaults and finds an apartment where nobody died
Oh please

She is not "letting her emotions rule her life".

MANY MANY normal average people find living in a place where someone has killed themelves to be VERY disturbing. It's a personal preference, that's all, and certainly does not make our OP's friend a head case

Old 07-13-2011, 08:07 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
I actually put an offer in on a house where the owner killed himself in the garage. The only thing that meant to me was a lower price. I would have happily bought the place except I found something better. As others have pointed out, if the house is of any age there is certainly a chance someone died in it. Or on the land at some point.

Is it just a case of ignorance is bliss?

Old 07-13-2011, 09:36 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,746,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrworld View Post
That's a little cruel, I think. She is a very responsible person, great friend and smart in business. I think she is mostly freaked out by the fact that the death occurred such a short time ago. If it were 20 or even 10 years ago, she wouldn't sweat it, but the fact that a previous owner, or one of them, committed suicide just 3 years ago, just a year before she bought it, that's what makes her feel uneasy to the point she wouldn't live there.
But didn't she question why the place was so cheap?

Old 07-14-2011, 01:38 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
I believe you have to disclose a death for three years after the occurrence. That might be a CA law I don't remember. She might have a suit against somebody - but who? Maybe the Title Insurance, but I doubt it.

People die. Why doesn't she just have the place exorcised or something and move on.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:01 AM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
The takeaway for your friend should be that toxic mold can cause cancer
The strains of mold that produce toxins associated with cancer are certain types of Aspergillus that grow on grains and certain foodstuffs. They are not commonly found on building materials or indoors.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:34 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
I lived in a house with about five others where in the room I slept in there was a spot with a rug, very oddly placed with no reason for it to be there. It never occured to either me or my roomate to move it or even to touch it at all. Under it the carpet had been scrubbed very very clean. But my roomate didn't like using the closet because it felt "dark". My side I didn't notice but it was on the other side of the rug. But we both avoided, without thinking about it, stepping on the oddly placed rug.

A friend of mine who is quite senstitve was visiting and said he was being pushed out of the room. The woman didn't want men there. He 'felt' that a woman and her children had been murdered there. We never had the nerve to look it up, but that night I did wards on the room.

My roomate said it felt "lighter" the next morning and she didn't know. The people in the next room kept saying that someone was in the room and sometimes the presence would wake them up. I would have offered but neither of them were believers, but they still felt this angry male spirit who couldn't get in.

No way I would have ever bought that house. nada. none. I don't know if what my friend felt was accurate but something terrible had happened there. The others didn't believe in ghosts but still detected it.

Personally I think if violent deaths have occured, or sucide in a house it should be an item of discolsure.

My present abode was empty for quite a while, but the woman who was probably the first resident used to walk across the kitchen. And I hear music coming from nowhere of jazz and dancing and voices in the corner of my bedroom at night. Moved the pillows over and don't hear it but there used to be a door there. These things are no problem.

But in the larger bedroom, currently being redone and mostly empty except as a favorite cat sleeping place and the modem and wireless router, things happen. I feel something in that room which plays tricks. Twice, I've been on the computer in the other room. Since I live alone people wise, and dogs and cats can't unplug things... I'll be online then go to writing and back to online, except its not on. Inbetwen, the cats sleeping in the room have gone absolutely bonkers and settled down. I go in and the modem is *unplugged*. This happened twice. Last time I stood in there and told it I didn't like that and this was my space and it should go if it can't behave. Still feel something but no unpluggings.

This house despite 'presences' is fine. The other no way no how.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:43 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann789 View Post
Has she heard of doing a smudge ceremony to clear out negative energy?
Smuging helpes a lot. Turn off the smoke alarms first though. Even more simple is salting. Put a trail of salt in the doors and windows making sure there are no breaks. If a particular room is suspect put one around the walls with a space opened for the energy to leave. When I redo my flloor in the room where the thing is, will salt the existing floor before doing the new layer.

If it was a sucide or a murder, I'm not sure smuging alone is enough.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:34 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,575,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I believe you have to disclose a death for three years after the occurrence. That might be a CA law I don't remember....
Florida law for the OP has already been posted indicating no disclosure required. According to another post, CA has a 3 year requirement. Just to add, AZ is similar to FL and does not require disclosure at any time.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:55 PM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrworld View Post
but if it was your house, would you leave?
No
Quote:
Do you think she is acting crazy?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
When I bought my first house I had a suspicion someone had died in the home because it was an estate sale.
I knew when I bought my house that the elderly owners had died in the home -- he at the beginning of the year, and she right before Christmas. Her teenage grandson came over to check on her one afternoon, and found she'd died in her sleep. The home wasn't lavishly furnished, but there were a lot of mementos and family photos on tables and walls. It had been a happy home. I, too, embraced their spirit, and figured that if either Mr. or Mrs. Miller were to haunt me, it would be to wake me up because the house was on fire.

Quote:
Sounds like the OP's friend was not happy with her purchase and is using the death as a last straw.
That's what I was thinking, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting