Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2011, 12:42 PM

4 posts, read 48,512 times

Advertisements

In moving out of our rented townhouse, we had the carpet cleaned per the lease agreement. The management company approved the company we used. The walk-through inspection went great. Now a few weeks later, the management company gave us a "heads-up" that they inspected the carpet with a blacklight to check for pet stains (we have a dog). When they used the light, they found green spots - which they attribute to the carpet cleaning solution being left in the carpet. They are going back to the carpet cleaning company to have them fix that.

When we asked if they used a blacklight before we moved in, they said no...only when people with pets move out. The previous tenants had a small child, how can you tell a blacklight spot isn't from the kid and not my dog? Our feeling is that they are trying to find something to ding us for our deposit.

We live in Virginia. Reading through the tenant laws, I don't see anything very applicable here. Do they have to prove the stains weren't there before we moved in. Any help/thoughts?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 01:21 PM

710 posts, read 3,390,954 times
They use them here in my state, but only on tenants who've kept animals in the place. Have they billed you for the extra cleaning? Or taken it out of your security deposit? If not, chances are they won't. I know here in AZ a landlord is required to send an itemized list of damages within 14 days - apparently in VA it's 45. Are you past that timeframe yet?

http://www.fredericksburgva.gov/uplo...Guide_2009.pdf

Old 07-14-2011, 02:36 PM

We had the move-out inspection June 24 and the lease ended June 30. The management company said they use 45 days after the move-out inspection to return the security deposit. So we aren't past that timeframe yet. They haven't tried to bill us anything yet, but given our interactions with the management company after we moved in...it wouldn't surprise us.

We're fine paying for items we are responsible for, but our pet did not have any accidents in the townhouse.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:54 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
The black light will pick up other stains, too. They could no way prove they are from a pet.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:19 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
I agree that they are on some pretty thin ice here. Unless the carpet was brand new (and they can prove it with installation/purchase receipts) there is no way in my opinion that they could prove a dog or a baby peed on the carpet. Additionally, this should have been disclosed to you when you were approved for the property and they approved your pet. While pet stains are not normal wear and tear, if the carpet was not new I don't think they can prove anything that would hold up to a challenge.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:42 PM

710 posts, read 3,390,954 times
sounds like you're ok then. I remember as a kid being able to write on walls in clear Tide detergent, then once it dried, looking at the green/blue words under a blacklight. Pretty sure the apt management can tell the difference between residual detergent in the carpet, and a pet accident spot.

Bet you're fine.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:40 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
There's a whole host of things that show up under a blacklight....I personally think it's great if you yourself want to find stains, but I don't think a landlord should it against a tenant..it's hard to prove stains.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:12 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
I'm not saying they can prove any stains are from anyone in particular, especially if they did no test prior to your move in, but dogs have accidents. There is no dog in the world that does not have one occasionally. You can try to delude yourself and say yours does not but that would be rare indeed. (We have 3 dogs, a friend who visits with a dog that also "never has accidents" and a blacklight)

Old 07-18-2011, 04:31 AM

3 posts, read 17,903 times
You could also throw it back to them that rats leave urine that is picked up by black light and it makes you wondering what else has been living with you. Actually, many animals, including people, leave urine stains that will show up under a black light. Other fluids such as semen, vaginal fluid and saliva show up under a black light.

Using a black light allows the invisible to become visible to people. If it was invisible to the naked eye when the original inspection was done and does not appear without a light at this time, your landlord has hanged the rules of the game and is not adhering to consistent and fair rules. This is just as out of line as if the landlord pulled out a microscope to examine your walls and flooring with.

The only fair way to judge the condition of your place is to inspect it in the same manner at the end as they did at the beginning. I seriously doubt if it is legal.
Contact your State's Attorney General's Office for who to contact regarding this.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:41 AM

Thanks for the comments. The carpet cleaner went back out to the townhouse to look and things and then chatted with the management company president. The cleaner (apparently) convinced them that 1)the carpets were fine and 2) they can't prove the blacklight "stains" weren't there when we moved in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting