Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2011, 10:31 AM

73 posts, read 421,002 times

Advertisements

I have lived in a corporate apartment complex for 3 years and have paid my rent on time for the duration. My lease is up in the middle of October, but, unfortunately, I may have to break my lease and move out the end of August. I understand I will incur a fee equal to 2 months rent ($920/mo) and lose my deposit. I will not be able to pay all of this upon moving out, so, my question is; does anyone know if I will be able to make small payments? Or, if I'm broke, and can't make payments, how quickly will this show on my credit report? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 11:11 AM

232 posts, read 1,654,060 times
If your lease ends in the middle of October, and you plan to move at the end of August, you would only be paying for September and then a pro-rated amount in October, correct? Even if you have to pay all of October, that's still only 2 months - and then you would have a chance to get your security deposit back.

Seems to me it might be smarter to continue to pay rent, rather than officially breaking the lease.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:26 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,544 times
I agree - if you pay the rent for the remaining 6 weeks you'll still get your deposit back and save 2 weeks on the penalty. But I'd probably let them know it's going to be empty for 6 weeks and ask if they're interested in making a deal on an early lease termination. If not, you're no worse off.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:26 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
We dealt with it yesterday. We had tenants who had called us last monthtelling us they wouldn't be able to pay the full rent but would bring partial rent...we don't fall for that and don't accept partial payments which we made clear to them.

We posted a 3 Day Notice and gave them the benefit of the doubt when they promised to pay the remainder by last Friday...of course no money whatsoever...and after a call to the mom who was also the Realtor bringing the clients to us...the tenant got upset that her mom was called.

We call anybody who's name we have on the applications!

The tenant stated that the car repair was more important then the rent and we informed her that for us the rent was more important and we would file for an eviction or she could choose to move out by Monday and we wouldnt' go after her in court.

Upon moving in we raised the sec. deposit since their credit wasn't good at all, so we got to keep that money and partial payment towards last month rent. We are glad they are out after 2 months...omg what if they would have stayed longer.

We found vomit on the floor, a stove that is black, never cleaned and they managed to make it black in 2 months. Some stuff left, fleas, some small items that need to be repaired.

Lucky for us the 7 Day Notice was for mowing and they had taken care of that.

The owner is happy that we got rid of them without eviction costs and weeks with no rent.

We already have showings scheduled....

I'm just letting you know that management companies sometimes will work with you, since it can be in both best interest.

In the end it is sad for the 3 little kids and the next person....NO we won't rent to people with one income, 3 kids and $ 800 in food stamps...say thank you to these people, another lesson learned for us. We thought we did well by giving them a chance.

They should stop giving all these benefits and just don't allow people like this to get more and more babies. The tenant even stated that she would not answer any phone calls since during the day she was too busy with her 3 kids...

Wow...handout money from the tax payers and not able to pick up a call on her cell phone...how about all the people who work and have kids and manage to pay their bills and do all other stuff...

Sorry for the rant but tenants like this, spoil a lot...but I have to thank them for moving out so fast, saved us a lot of work in court and time!

Old 07-19-2011, 03:30 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,544 times
The last time a country tried to stop certain people from pro-creating was nazi Germany. People forget easily don't they.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:52 AM

73 posts, read 421,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridacara View Post
If your lease ends in the middle of October, and you plan to move at the end of August, you would only be paying for September and then a pro-rated amount in October, correct? Even if you have to pay all of October, that's still only 2 months - and then you would have a chance to get your security deposit back.

Seems to me it might be smarter to continue to pay rent, rather than officially breaking the lease.
Yes, you are right, and this seems the most logical, and I will try. But, I would have to borrow the money, which doesn't seem likely I really do hope I can make it through to the end, because with housing debt on my report, I'd probably never be able to rent again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting