Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 12:47 PM

289 posts, read 776,187 times

Advertisements

I rent an apartment where I have my own private patio which faces south. I really want to install a satellite dish (better programming and better value), but my landlord refuses to allow satellite dishes anywhere on the property. Her reasoning is that satellite dishes make the property look "ghetto."

After reading through FCC laws, I've concluded that I have every right to install a dish on my patio provided that I don't mount it to the building or drill holes through the wall. All I would have to do is place the dish on a pole and run the cables through my window. Should I pursue this with my landlord, or should I have it installed without consulting her?

For what it's worth, I don't see satellite dishes as "ghetto," and don't think it would be any different than having a BBQ grill or lawn furniture in front of my unit, which is what some of the tenants at my complex have...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 01:50 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
If the law says you can do it I would point out the exact law to my LL and inform them I will be installing the dish.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:08 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,922,410 times
Provided that the antenna is not installed in a "common area" (roof, shared patio, garden, walkway, etc), then to the best of my knowledge, your landlord is not permitted to tell you "no". Install and enjoy -- just be prepared to not have your lease renewed.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:12 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
There is one item that often is overlooked, federal laws say that a LL can not unreasonably restrict the installation of antennas but that only applies to receiving permission not if you can install it where or how you want. You also have to adhere to local codes. Local codes can not be unreasonable, but they can control where and how you install it.

Besides notyfying the LL of the federal rule, you also have to check with your AHJ (building, fire , etc) to make sure there is nothing in the local codes on installation and location. An example of this may be where it requires these antennas to be secured in a certain way. If it calls for certain brackets, you can;t just use nylon zip ties. If fire codes prohibit the antanna from being installed directly in front of a egress point, you can;'t install it there.

Many LL think they have no control over these antennas, but LL's do have a say if it violates building, electrical or safety codes.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:47 PM

289 posts, read 776,187 times
A quick update: I discussed the issue with my landlord today and she didn't budge an inch. The complex I live in is managed by a company that has several properties nationwide and she said that this is a "company policy" and that she could get into trouble with her bosses if she allows me to get by with it.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:57 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,886,388 times
As a LL, I'll throw in my 2 cents. I do not have a complex. I have buildings and houses. I do not allow dishes on the front to of any building or on the roof. The installation on the roof will damage the shingles and be a problem if and when the roof needs repairs. I do not allow dishes on the front of any building. I do not like the look and it means large bolts and holes in the building. I do allow them put on the side or back of a building but Not on the roof.
A satelite dish needs exact stable placement to pick up the signal. Attached to a free standing pole will not work. If yoiu move the dish, you lose the signal.
Any satelite company will require a letter from the LL to place the dish. You may not be able to win.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:01 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,950,661 times
Many complexes require you to put it on a portable tripod. I have about 1/2 my units wired for satellite. If someone plans on a dish, I try to steer them into a unit that is already wired. If someone wants to add one, we have specific requirements, including service fees for our time to ensure the connection is safe.

AND any dish affixed to the building becomes MY property and may not be removed. If someone wants to fight over it guess what, M2M lease - goodbye.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:09 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,922,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
There is one item that often is overlooked, federal laws say that a LL can not unreasonably restrict the installation of antennas but that only applies to receiving permission not if you can install it where or how you want. You also have to adhere to local codes. Local codes can not be unreasonable, but they can control where and how you install it.
Right on.

I live on the top floor of a hirise, and while I am permitted to install a dish on my balcony, the dish must be installed in compliance with local codes. This means that I am responsible for grounding the dish -- not an easy task from 14 stories up! This necessitates a professional installation by a certified electrician. To their credit, my landlord has been fully supportive of dishes here and will even assign a maintenance person to supervise the electrician's work / passage through the apartment.

This is the difference between having an awesome, five-star landlord and dealing with some of the slumlords I read about on here. But that's a whole other thread.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:37 PM

911 posts, read 2,599,691 times
my landlord told me the same thing about no satellite..........then i see the neighbor getting one a month ago

Old 07-27-2011, 09:53 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Bound View Post
A quick update: I discussed the issue with my landlord today and she didn't budge an inch. The complex I live in is managed by a company that has several properties nationwide and she said that this is a "company policy" and that she could get into trouble with her bosses if she allows me to get by with it.
Do not discuss this issue with the LL.

Write a letter asking for permission to install the antenna, Attach a copy of CFR Title 47, Section 1.4000. Inform the LL to respond with permission along with any reasonable restrictions. That's what you have to do first.

Give the LL 5 business days to respond. If they dont respond or the response is still a no, get back to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting