Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 01:03 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,544 times

Advertisements

I don't think the flaky landlord your friend has is a good option, your pets can't live in a home with no heat or AC for weeks.

I understand your desperation to move out, I was the same and I actually did leave home (at 17). I wish I had known what a bad decision it was as I wouldn't have done it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 02:27 PM

819 posts, read 3,208,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_unstable View Post

As far as the exotics go, many people think rats, mice, and ferrets are exotic animals - which I do not. They're found in every petco in the nation. Hardly rare, unusual, or exotic in my opinion. However, the other two unnamed species are indeed what I would call exotic. No weird cats, monkeys, or anything like that. I typically don't disclose what they are because it just increases the likelihood that I will be attacked for keeping "wild animals" as pets. They are good kids. They are quiet, barely smelly at all, etc. One of them is a bit of a digger which is why he will absolutely need to be crated when unsupervised. The other just gets into all of my things and messes with my stuff but hasn't damaged property at all.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:49 PM

52 posts, read 73,992 times
Floridacara - I thank you very much for your replies. It is reassuring to hear that others have been in somewhat similar situations and managed to make it out okay. I thought about driving around the areas looking for rentals but it's rare that you see them so it would take a lot of time and gas to find even a few I think. I will probably do it anyway. I have put wanted ads on craig's list but it hasn't really gotten me anywhere at all. I plan on putting another one up soon. I am also thinking about a wanted ad in the newspaper. I have thought about also watching for rural houses for sale and perhaps offering the sellers to rent instead. If they're having trouble selling in this market, they might go for renting instead. There is a house about a mile away from my parents that is for sale (though I'm sure it's out of my budget) that gave me the idea.

Chicagojlo - The flakiness of the landlord my friend has already drives me nuts. I've probably called her 8 or so times and she's answered the phone 3 of those times. I agree - my pets cannot live in a home without heat or air for weeks and neither can I! I'm just desperate I guess, which is why I considered it.

AdotAllen - Some people believe that no matter what, wild species of animals should not be kept as pets. I don't wish to be lectured or attacked for my choice in pets, which is why I have not specified what species they are - in attempt to avoid that. I understand why people think wild animals should not be kept as pets, however I think the species I have chosen do well in captivity, they are properly cared for (and many, many, many pets out there, exotic and domestic, are not), and were already bred in captivity thus could never live in the wild anyway. Even if I hadn't bought these animals as pets, they would still be breeding them over and over and other people would still be buying them, even if just for fur. So I do not think that what I am doing is terribly wrong. These animals live a mere few years in the wild and face many struggles I'm sure. In captivity, they will likely live over 10 years. One of them could even reach the age of 20.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:04 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Two exotics (one is approx 25 lbs and the other 10 lbs). What kind of exotic pets are they? Besides the exotics, you may have too many animals to rent a place.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:20 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Come on. Tell us what they are. My curiosity is killing me at this point.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:21 PM

I suppose I could be more specific, as no one has attacked or lectured me thus far. I have a raccoon and a skunk. The skunk is surgically descented and does not smell. He is a digger and will definitely need to be crated when unsupervised. The raccoon just gets into cabinets, walks on counters, and messes with my personal belongings but has not damaged any property.

I have pretty much come to the conclusion that an apartment is not an option as cities seem to have laws against "keeping dangerous wild animals as pets". I could see why someone may see a raccoon as being dangerous, but skunks are so incredibly meek, passive, and small. They are very cute, cuddly, quiet creatures.

I am in the process of posting a housing wanted ad on Craig's list - again.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:28 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Let me get this straight. You actually found a LL that said yes to having a skunk and a raccoon (along with the rest of your animal army) and you are looking elsewhere because you don't think she is professional?

Unless you think this LL is going to chop you up and keep you in the freezer you should be sending them flowers and begging to get that place.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:40 PM

I realize I am very lucky to have found someone who accepts these animals. However, I can never get her to answer the phone. Literally. I called her last Friday to talk about it and she told me to call her at 9:30 AM Sunday morning. I did, and of course, she didn't answer the phone. Again. I'm not very comfortable handing over hundreds of dollars to someone who might not answer the phone when I call them about moving in. Also, I found a document on the city's ordinances today and discovered that it would be illegal to have them in that city. If someone found out and called the police, my pets would be confiscated. I am not sure what other consequences there are, but I have read about large fines and jail time in some areas.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:03 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
I've heard that descented skunks make good pets. Where I live, we have lots of skunks that come around, especially at my place. Sometimes I forget to bring in the cat food at night, and they waste no time eating it. The baby skunks are so cute! But a raccoon is actually meant to be outdoors, and they can be dangerous.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:18 PM

Skunks like to eat and will typically eat and eat and eat until there is no food left. Then they find some more and eat until that's gone, too! They are very cute, snuggly little things.

When observing both species, it seems like the skunk is the one that benefits from being outdoors more than the raccoon. Raccoons are brilliant animals and they adapt very well. Mine loves to check out all of these odd things humans have, especially kitchen cabinets. However, I would say he is potentially more dangerous than the skunk because he has a more wild animal personality, despite enjoying being indoors so much. They are of course also larger thus can cause more damage if they attack someone.

It seems like each day I become increasingly more worried about finding a place to rent with these little fellows. I understand why landlords reject pets, and I definitely understand why they would reject mine. I just tell myself it's not completely hopeless, that if I'm patient and apply maximum effort, something good just has to come out of this. It wouldn't be fair to them to have to get rid of them just to move out, which is why I do not see it as an option. I would rather hide them in an apartment than do that. I do worry about them slipping out into the hall and then who knows what happening, though. That's why a house or even a duplex would be ideal.

I wish that I had a well paying job so I could do a rent to own/lease to own arrangement. There aren't very many rural houses for rent as far as I can tell - and even less would allow a pet raccoon and skunk! So...any ideas anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting