Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 05:24 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
@lilyflower, Hmm well lily, do you know how section 8 works? or are u jumping on the wagon because everyone else is and we all know that what the majority thinks is right? then it must be right?

Section 8 is based on your total gross income, 30-35 percent of your gross yearly income avrg determines your rent. Further your only quilified for sec 8 if you make less then aprox 1500mth gross for single person. Lets do some math shall we folks? In my state the min wage is 8.95hr. 8.95hr x 40hrs= 358.00x4weeks= 1432.00. mth gross. Now by this time your pretty much paying full fairmaket value of your apt. Then at $1200 gross income, you don't get foodstamps. So now your paying taxes, full rent and food and everything else. So i ask you now? Your in a government room, and you can't go over the aprox 1500mth amount because once you do the government won't pay anything and you will be asked to moveout. So where do you get the money to move out and transition? Further you have to concider or take into cont on next pos
Yes, I KNOW how section 8 works. Google is my friend, thank you very much.

Some of you have turned this into political debates. SO annoying!!

I am a 28 year old woman who just doesn't have the energy or money to play games with tenants who play games with me. I hear horror stories, I will make my choice accordingly. What is wrong with that?

Why is my obligation to rent my beautiful property to section 8 tenants? If I don't want to do it, nobody can force me to.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
@lilyflower, Hmm well lily, do you know how section 8 works? or are u jumping on the wagon because everyone else is and we all know that what the majority thinks is right? then it must be right?

Section 8 is based on your total gross income, 30-35 percent of your gross yearly income avrg determines your rent. Further your only quilified for sec 8 if you make less then aprox 1500mth gross for single person. Lets do some math shall we folks? In my state the min wage is 8.95hr. 8.95hr x 40hrs= 358.00x4weeks= 1432.00. mth gross. Now by this time your pretty much paying full fairmaket value of your apt. Then at $1200 gross income, you don't get foodstamps. So now your paying taxes, full rent and food and everything else. So i ask you now? Your in a government room, and you can't go over the aprox 1500mth amount because once you do the government won't pay anything and you will be asked to moveout. So where do you get the money to move out and transition? Further you have to concider or take into cont on next pos
Plus, you asked other poster a question, "How can you prove some people on welfare are lazy?"

I gave you an example. I was only answering your question. I am not sure why do you need to give me a lecture about how section 8 work. It is not rocket science.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
So is it an administration thing or a client thing that is really the problem?
Obviously both!

Old 08-20-2013, 06:21 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Yes, I KNOW how section 8 works. Google is my friend, thank you very much.

Some of you have turned this into political debates. SO annoying!!

I am a 28 year old woman who just doesn't have the energy or money to play games with tenants who play games with me. I hear horror stories, I will make my choice accordingly. What is wrong with that?

Why is my obligation to rent my beautiful property to section 8 tenants? If I don't want to do it, nobody can force me to.
No one said you were obligatted to do anything lily hon, my hope was to basically breakdown stereotypes, Whats wrong with it you asked? Well what i find is interesting is that you said you didn't have the time or energy to play games with tenants who play games with you, you hear horror stories and will make your choice accordingly. Assuming you meant sec8 ppl or the poor by your own words? I have to cont on next post please wait thank you.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:56 PM

@lilyflower cont.

What i find interesting is lily, you have no experience of renting to the poor or sec8, the only bases to not rent is from horror stories you heard . But i must ask what makes you think every single sec8 person would play games with you or damage your property? Every person? because your statement says why am i obligatted to rent my gorgeous property to sec8 tenants, when i don't want to, nobody can force me too, this is kind of a absolute no way statement on your part, not a chance no way in any situation right? But lily you rent to middle class or well to do people right? I assume you have had to evict a tenant b4 as a landlord? Did anyone ever damage your property? If you answered yes to any of those questions hon then why would you ever rent to a middle class person or upperclass person again? Here you have proof of dishonesty etc, but you will continue to rent to that class again? When just based on horror stories your not even willing to rent to sec8?
cont next page

Old 08-20-2013, 07:11 PM

@lilyflower

cont. well lily i have good news for you, buy law its legal to discriminate based on income even if there is proof of ability to pay, clean record etc.

But i would like to point out that in the past we have had to pass the fair housing act, because ppl wouldn't rent to african americans because of horror stories.

I want you to know i love you anyway that i also suffer from prejudices myself. No one wants to make you do anything lily ok, but you may just want to take a look at what i said for your advancement of yourself.

Classism is the new racism that is legal in this country.

Ok done.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Classism is the new racism that is legal in this country.

Ok done.
Wow, I am sure many of us are scared now. I feel dirty.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Wow, I am sure many of us are scared now. I feel dirty.
So if we the people of this country said that denying ppl equal opportunity based on race, sex, etc etc is illegal then why would you deny someone just based on his class if he\she has clean record, has good rental history, shown the ability to pay on time, even if its sec 8 etc the right to rent? not saying that if there are other potential renters who are more qualified that the sec 8 guy gets the apartment. I am not saying that. Im just saying the right to fill out an ap and be taken seriously. Dont you think that would fall under the spirit of the laws we creatted? And is just and right?

Old 08-20-2013, 09:41 PM

@everybody i just want to say im really tired of politics, so i close with a thought. Just because the majority of people think that something is right or just, doesn't really mean it is, remember the majority thought it was ok to own slaves, the majority thought it was ok that wemon don't vote, the majority felt that african americans should be segregated. etc etc. So please be careful aloha.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
@everybody i just want to say im really tired of politics, so i close with a thought. Just because the majority of people think that something is right or just, doesn't really mean it is, remember the majority thought it was ok to own slaves, the majority thought it was ok that wemon don't vote, the majority felt that african americans should be segregated. etc etc. So please be careful aloha.

okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting