Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 09:06 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,732,083 times

Advertisements

As a mother, and someone who left home at 17 with no money myself, my concern was only for what was best for you, but clearly you're the type that prefers to only deal with things in your own complicated way, so go ahead, and good luck with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 02:35 PM

171 posts, read 443,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
So what exactly are you trying to say here?
Someone suggested I was talking to the "lower end of the landlord spectrum" and I replied that I had no idea if I was or wasn't BUT if that's who makes their presence here on CD, then yes, that's who I've been talking to. 75% of my correspondence with LLs has been on this forum. Simple.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
you're the type that prefers to only deal with things in your own complicated way, so go ahead
Yep. It's gotten me this far in my 2 years since leaving a drug, prostutition, abuse, and theft-infested "home" with no cash or even so much as a high school diploma at 17.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:21 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,382,667 times
OP, what you are talking about is called a Sub-lease. So then YOUR landlord is actually your roommate. If you don't sign anything, then you are in a verbal lease, which usually implies month to month.

Many leases prohibit sub-leasing, so if the LL/owner found out you were there, your roommate (who is your real landlord, remember) will get evicted, along with you. But you would have no financial risk, other than the costs of moving, and losing your deposit if you pay one.

In a sublease, if it is actually permitted, it is typical that you pay rent to the roommate, since they are your landlord. If you don't pay, they can evict you and they can sue you. The overall landlord cannot.

So in short, because that was a little confusing, if you don't sign a lease, you have no obligations to the landlord, but you do have obligations to your roommate. The landlord cannot sue you, your roommate can.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:04 AM

Ah, thank you!! +rep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting