Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2011, 02:58 AM

270 posts, read 838,380 times

Advertisements

I'm 26 but don't plan to buy a house for the next 10 years or so, and renting a place by myself seems like a waste (I've never had room mate issues)

But I do know that when searching for room mates on craigslist it seems most ads specify that they want people in my age range, and very few (if any) seem to be a good fit for people over 30.

Is it indeed hard to find room mates after 30? Do you older renters feel like you have to rent your own place (if you don't want to buy)?

Thanks for any insights
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 03:48 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Wink well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD1985 View Post
I'm 26 but don't plan to buy a house for the next 10 years or so, and renting a place by myself seems like a waste (I've never had room mate issues)

But I do know that when searching for room mates on craigslist it seems most ads specify that they want people in my age range, and very few (if any) seem to be a good fit for people over 30.

Is it indeed hard to find room mates after 30? Do you older renters feel like you have to rent your own place (if you don't want to buy)?

Thanks for any insights
Usually...by 30 y/o you want your own place...gets pretty old putting up with the younger bs.
k

Old 08-07-2011, 02:36 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
People over 30 who are doing the room mate thing fall into two basic categories:
1) Those who don't and never will have it together enough to rent/own independently.
2) Those who are in some sort of transition in their life.

Avoid the first like the plague...
and be prepared to tolerate a bit of the drama and baggage that the second group tends to have.
---

As to those beyond their twenties who rent out space in their homes...
all sorts of reasons will apply but it's mostly about financial need and probably simple loneliness.
But keep your eye open for the whack-a-doodle's too

Hope that helps. (hth)

Old 08-07-2011, 08:55 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,922,748 times
Gotta be honest here. Once you get up around 30, roommates become less and less attractive. Most of this is cultural. You're supposed to have your life together by the time you hit 30, and having a roommate (as a 30-something) is seen by some as failing to do so. By that age, you're supposed to be able to handle whatever life throws at you.

Plus, ten years ago I was going out with friends every weekend and staying out at clubs and afterparties until 4am. Today it's more likely that I'll fire up the charcoal, grill some premium steaks, and crack open some microbrews with a few good friends. When I'm in my 40s, I'll probably be playing canasta or eating applesauce or whatever it is that those old 40-somethings do.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:58 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
I think a lot of it depends on where you live as well. Where I'm at, a teeny tiny studio with no fridge and a hot plate is around $1000 a month. The wages are fairly depressed as well because there's a large college population, so instead of paying decent wages with benefits, most companies just hire a bunch of part timers.

Having roommates over 30 is fairly common where I am.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:14 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
When I was in my 20's I had ONE roommate situation that was pleasant and worked out. I rented with two gay men that I worked with in construction engineering.

We rented a gorgeous home from an old widow who lived down the street and gave us daily maid service, because I wasn't going to clean up after the boys after a 12 hour shift. We paid $900 a month (back around 1984) for a house across the street from the beach in Florida. We had a beautiful back yard and ocean view. It was the perfect place, and the perfect roommates. There were no drugs, no personal issues, no boy/girlfriends going in and out. On the weekends we had friends over for BBQ's in the big back yard and more often than not we invited the landlady to join us, because her son was a commercial fisherman and she'd bring us 30 lbs of snapper to broil up!

We all were working a lot of hours and we were there to make money, not party so it worked out. I never rented with roommates again.

These days sadly so many people have drug or other issues. Or the roommate wants to move someone else in, or it's a party house. You really have to be compatible.

I'd prefer renting a pool cabana or guest house somewhere over a roommate situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting