Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 04:51 PM

13 posts, read 49,980 times

Advertisements

Would it be appropriate in the advertisement to make a statement that "Good gredit is a must" and that credit report and other background checks will be performed?

Since I am going to live in the same house that has only 2 units altogether, FAIR Housing rules does not apply
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 11:20 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,121,360 times
I have top notch apartments in good areas and can fill them within a week usually. Almost always throuh Craigslist. But you need to be careful about renting to people who want in ASAP. Many are either transients or were kicked out of their previous home and are desperate for a new place to live. My best tenants took their time, mailed in their application and waited for me to call them.

Also, you need to match the requirements with the property. You are not going to fill the midocre dated apartment with an 800 credit score applicant in 1 week. You need to cut your vacancy and find someone with a lower credit score but still has decent payment history. On the other hand you will not be filling the taj-mahal apartment with a low grade renter because low grade renters do not take care of things and don't have the money if you have to go after them for damages.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:38 AM

67 posts, read 146,971 times
I'm seeing that a lot of requirements to rent is proof of previous rental history.
My situation....I've owned for the past several years, 20 of them to be precise, and my current house is now on the market. Once I sell, I will be relocating out of state and renting a home at my new location. I don't have rental history. Is that going to be a problem since I don't have 'rental' history?
I work out of my home and have been with he same company for going on 12 years, so I have good established employment...just no rental history. Am I going to be a red flag for when the time comes?

Old 08-24-2011, 09:53 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue4u View Post
I'm seeing that a lot of requirements to rent is proof of previous rental history.
My situation....I've owned for the past several years, 20 of them to be precise, and my current house is now on the market. Once I sell, I will be relocating out of state and renting a home at my new location. I don't have rental history. Is that going to be a problem since I don't have 'rental' history?
I work out of my home and have been with he same company for going on 12 years, so I have good established employment...just no rental history. Am I going to be a red flag for when the time comes?
Provide some documentation to show that you consistently made your house payments. You should be able to download your payment history for your mortgage. That and an acceptable credit rating should be sufficient.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:14 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,373,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue4u View Post
Strictly speaking I don't ask for "rental history" but instead for proof that the applicant has been paying for the roof over their head. I once had a gal say that she was living in a house that she had inherited and therefore didn't have any proof. I told her that in that case I would want to see the property tax bills in her name. She refused. That was a red flag!

Old 08-26-2011, 06:28 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
Is the 3x monthly salary requirement net or gross? What are your thoughts on requesting first, last and a security deposit? I read somewhere that the majority of people income of $85,000 and up own dogs. I am afraid my floors will be damaged. What has been your experience with renting to people with pets?

Old 08-27-2011, 02:19 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Is the 3x monthly salary requirement net or gross? What are your thoughts on requesting first, last and a security deposit? I read somewhere that the majority of people income of $85,000 and up own dogs. I am afraid my floors will be damaged. What has been your experience with renting to people with pets?
Gross. I request security deposit (one month rent) at lease commitment time -- usually about 30 days before move in -- and then first month's rent at move in along with pet deposit in cashiers ck or money order. The is what is common in my area. If security, 1st & last is common for your area go for it ... I think you have to do what is competitive and usual locally. If you worry about floors being damaged by pets, don't allow them or get a hefty non-refundable pet deposit. I don't allow cats at all but do allow neutered, house trained dogs over 2 years old. No puppies. I also require that pets can never be left outside unsupervised...so if my tenant is not home the dog needs to be inside.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:40 PM

327 posts, read 1,118,970 times
Mostly Advertise in Craigslist.

I created a quick checklist for when they first call to get their contact info, how many people would be renting, when the require the rental, reason for moving, preliminary landlord and work reference and any additional requirements that may be tied to property.

We agree on a time to view, I give them a property info sheet with an application. I tell them if they are interested to fill out the application as completely as possible and send it back to me.

I don't collect fees because I don't want to deal with the aftermath in case prospective tenant doesn't qualify. I may begin charging $20 though as it is starting to get a little pricey to perform the checks.

I find that I am always tweaking things and a lot depends on the property.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:43 PM

774 posts, read 1,777,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Ditto on CL. Once they respond to my CL posting, I send them the address and a very detailed list of my rental requirements. I ask them to review the requirements and drive by the place and if they want to see it, get back to me. Each time I have gotten a lease w/i 2 weeks of posting on CL. However, I have a posting right now and no one who has reviewed my requirements has gotten back to me. However, I am also posting 6 weeks ahead of availability and before I posted right at 30 days ahead.
What's the purpose of asking people to drive by? As a tenant, I was only asked to do this once, and I interpreted it as the landlord either being a jerk or not wanting me as a tenant. Either way, I decided not to waste my time.

Imagine a car dealer who asks you to test drive the same car at another dealership before coming to him if you are really interested...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting