Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 12:42 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,666,486 times

Advertisements

If you want a legal question answered, ask a lawyer. Look up the statutes in your own state. What may be true for a landlord in his/her own state might not be true in your state.

People here took a little of their own time to try to give you answers. I don't know what more you expect -- this is not a legal forum. In fact, one should never ask for legal advice on the internet period.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:40 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,672,346 times
You will need to discuse tif it needs to be signed with a lawyer.

CA rules only cover that it must be in writing, the timing 30 or 60 days, the 5-day "mailed" extension, the proper serving of the notice, and stuff like that, but I could not find anything in all the laws and cross reference entries where the LL is required to affix a signature to that notice.

So if there is anything about requirng a signature, it's part of some other rules, not the LL tenant laws.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:16 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
The question is as follows:

Is it legal for the owner not to sign it? I've never gotten an unsigned rent increase notice from any landlord that I've rented from.

I got my rent increase notice in April for it to increase in June, and my next door neighbors just got one for theirs to go up in October, which is also unsigned.
Despite your belligerence, the answer to the question is yes, it is legal. Further, you have paid the increased rent which constitutes your agreement to same. It's unfortunate that you took responses as "lectures". No doubt like most of us you're under a lot of stress right now but biting back at posters who are trying to help and really do have other things on their minds really isn't very nice.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:19 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,304,389 times
This thread needs to be closed. No one took the time to read my actual question, and I guess something scribbled on a piece of paper constitutes a legal notice. I posted this for my neighbor, because he got a notice yesterday that looks worse than mine.

I'm not being belligerent, check out my posts on other threads. I merely asked a question that no one could answer, and I'll find my answer another way without lectures.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:25 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,666,486 times
Still doesn't like the answer given by more than one poster, lol.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:49 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,672,346 times
Quote:
This thread needs to be closed. No one took the time to read my actual question, and I guess something scribbled on a piece of paper constitutes a legal notice. I posted this for my neighbor, because he got a notice yesterday that looks worse than mine.

I'm not being belligerent, check out my posts on other threads. I merely asked a question that no one could answer, and I'll find my answer another way without lectures.
You wanted to know if a signature is required and you got the best answers anyone can give, what are you expecting? You the one who first raised the issue of the manual typewriter as if thats something and we said that's meaningless. So you got pissed off and formed a new verson of that same sloppy question. You got answers. But your still pissed and asked it again as if the bold of the question changes the answers. Now your saying that its scribble on a piece of paper, well you didn;t mention that it was scribble until now. We are not mind readers and can only answer based on what YOU write. If YOU write slop, the answers you get are based on slop. Don;t come throwing around used toilet paper and expect to be handed a gold rolex in exchange. Maybe if you BOLD and Italic while underlining and change the color of the question, it will change the whole meaning off the question. or better yet don;'t have a answer in your mind and get pissed off when the real answers aren't what you expected....

Old 08-18-2011, 06:17 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
Quote:

I took the time to read your question, I don't suffer from a reading comprehension disability and you said nothing about "something scribbled on a piece of paper". I answered your question as did others. Repeat - the 30 day notice you were given of a rent increase was legal even though it didn't bear a written signature. You paid the additional rent accordingly which legally constitutes your agreement to same. If you don't like the answer then pay an attorney to verify it and be sure that he personally signs the verifying letter so that the hundred or so dollars you'll pay will be worth it. Good grief.

I'm sure that your wish to have this thread closed will be granted if only because it'll die a very quick and natural death. All the best.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:21 AM

912 posts, read 5,258,227 times
Quote:

FINE.

I will now speak as both a lawyer, a landlord, a priest, a doctor AND an astronaut.

Despite what the law says, the notice you got was not legal. It does not constitute an agreement between you and the landlord.

Given these facts, you should now stop paying rent.

The pay-or-quit notices you will now get and also fake. So don't worry about it either.

Also disregard any other notes that include terms such as "eviction" or "being served".

In a few months, a man dressed as a cop will show up to your door and demand that you leave. This is a fake too. Don't fall for it.

Happy Now?

Old 08-19-2011, 10:47 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,487 times
Thumbs up Poor guy...

Here is what I would think. Sounds to me like the notice looks a little 'fishy'...no letterhead, no signature...could be the manager is looking for a little pocket change...it happens. I would suggest you try to contact the owner directly and ask if the notice is official, then take his word for it. And... don't worry about the ridicule. It's a new day...enjoy
Koale

Old 08-19-2011, 11:15 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,304,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Here is what I would think. Sounds to me like the notice looks a little 'fishy'...no letterhead, no signature...could be the manager is looking for a little pocket change...it happens. I would suggest you try to contact the owner directly and ask if the notice is official, then take his word for it. And... don't worry about the ridicule. It's a new day...enjoy
Koale
Thank you, someone actually took the time to read my post. Maybe I should post a copy of the notice, but some people on here wouldnt' be able to read it either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting