Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 07:51 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
If my income was 60 times my rent, I would be making $87,000.. and I pay less than the median rent in San Jose!!
so are you planning to move?
or to start earning more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 04:19 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
so are you planning to move?
or to start earning more?
Planning to buy actually. It would cost less.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:08 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,922,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
The whole 30x 60x talk is moot if you don't take current debts into account.
Quoting for truth.

There is no magical formula that works for everyone. Only suggestions. The most sensible approach is:
  1. Start with your monthly net (after-tax) income
  2. Subtract your rent
  3. Subtract your car payment, student loan payments, etc
  4. Subtract your car insurance, renters insurance, health insurance, etc
  5. Subtract your utility bills (electric, water, sewer, trash, cable, cellular, Internet, etc)
  6. Subtract any short-term debt payments (credit card, personal loans, etc)
  7. Subtract enough for food
  8. Subtract whatever you spend on entertainment & going out
  9. Subtract for clothing
  10. Subtract whatever you want to stash away in savings

How much is left? In an emergency, can you still afford to pay rent? What if your ATM card gets hijacked and your checking account gets cleaned out? What if your bank hiccups and withdraws someone else's check from your account? What if your employer botches your direct deposit and your paycheck is two weeks late? Do you have a contingency plan?

All this talk about "4x this" or "60x that" is silly. It is a very rough starting point that applies to almost nobody.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:17 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
I own now..but my yearly salary is 99x my monthly mortgage payment. When I was saving for my downpayment, (two years ago), my yearly salary was 203x my monthly rent. Even 40x seems like a lot to me!

Old 09-12-2011, 04:35 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,481,772 times
Opal set that requirement because they want to attract upper middle class young caucasian professionals; that's fine.

I am not going to set a minimum amount. I think it is best to give everyone an application and make my decision based on the applicants merits and how well they will fit in the neighborhood. I really want a responsible and conscientious young family that will stay for a long time. We do not have much turnover here.

I appreciate all of your comments.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I really want a responsible and conscientious young family...
curious... how do you measure these characteristics?

Old 09-12-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
curious... how do you measure these characteristics?
It is hard to put into words. All due diligence will be done, I am not a fool, but I am looking for something specific.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
It is hard to put into words ... but I am looking for something specific.
Two points:
1) The ratio rules of thumb (in this or any other example)..
are not meant to be anything more than a first hurdle qualification.
Most make good sense but all are subject to reasonable tweaking.

2) Not having objective criteria which can be uniformly applied to ALL applicants
leaves a LL open to potential discrimination suits.

hth

Old 09-12-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Two points:
1) The ratio rules of thumb (in this or any other example)..
are not meant to be anything more than a first hurdle qualification.
Most make good sense but all are subject to reasonable tweaking.

2) Not having objective criteria which can be uniformly applied to ALL applicants
leaves a LL open to potential discrimination suits.

hth
I wish I could file a suit against all of the bosses that did not give me a job I felt I was qualified for. Don't you think Opal discriminates? We all discriminate at some level. Steady employment and good credit only present a portion of the picture. The process is subjective. I value community and I think it is the responsibility of the landlord to place a suitable family in a home. I could eliminate several applicants by imposing an income requirement and it is within my right. However, I do not want to exclude the family that may fall slightly short on the salary but have their priorities straight. The goal is to find a long term tenant that will pay the rent on time, keep the place reasonable clean and fit in with the community. This criteria will exclude people that are qualified on paper. I will not be coerced in to making a decision based on a possible discrimination suit. I am hopeful it will work out. Maybe no one will be interested. Lol!

Last edited by goodlife36; 09-12-2011 at 09:31 PM..

Old 09-12-2011, 11:37 PM

44 posts, read 124,820 times
Quote:
Rules of thumb are not requirements.

40 (3x12, +extra) is typical... but this is still just a first step before seeing the Incomeebt ratio and twenty other factors that go into qualifying.

The 60X may just be their way of cutting through that clutter...
(and in general, keeping out the riff raff )
Probably this. I'm curious if you find 60x to be common or find a bunch of 40x that are reasonably similar places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting