Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 01:03 PM

4 posts, read 2,740 times

Advertisements

Me and a friend are looking to rent out a house and they all want an application fee. Now its too much money to pay for each house. I was wondering if theres a service that most places use or what tricks there maybe to keep from paying so many app fees.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 01:24 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
To not pay more than one application fee, only apply for rentals that all belong to the same landlord.

If you figure out how to do it, though, I'd like a service where I can pay for one steak and then go to markets all over town and pick up steaks at every store and they are all already paid for...

Old 05-14-2019, 01:46 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,139,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
To not pay more than one application fee, only apply for rentals that all belong to the same landlord.

If you figure out how to do it, though, I'd like a service where I can pay for one steak and then go to markets all over town and pick up steaks at every store and they are all already paid for...
Your analogy doesn't really hold, though. Theoretically, the tenant would just need to pay for one credit/background check, which would show the same thing to every LL it was presented to.

I mean, if people weren't shady/dishonest, a tenant could just print his own file out and bring it to each LL. I understand why that wouldn't work, but it's also why the steak analogy doesn't work. Plus, you know, app fees aren't supposed to be a "profit center" and all.

Old 05-14-2019, 01:50 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Your analogy doesn't really hold, though. Theoretically, the tenant would just need to pay for one credit/background check, which would show the same thing to every LL it was presented to.

I mean, if people weren't shady/dishonest, a tenant could just print his own file out and bring it to each LL. I understand why that wouldn't work, but it's also why the steak analogy doesn't work. Plus, you know, app fees aren't supposed to be a "profit center" and all.
Yes and no. There is something to paying for a universal BG/Credit check.

But LL's still have to evaluate each application, and every LL has different criteria that are important to them.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:42 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,545,464 times
When you find a place you want to rent, ask the landlord for their rental criteria. If you or your roommate don’t meet EVERY item, don’t apply, because you’re going to be turned down. Don’t apply unless you are certain this is a place you want to rent. Work on one property application at a time.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:07 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,238,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post

Bingo. Just today an applicant told me "we only ever park in the garage" when I was explaining the HOAs very strict street parking rules. I've been by their current home and both their cars are in the driveway. If it wasn't for that comment I would have rented to them. Even the best applicants are liars.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:24 AM

486 posts, read 416,082 times
If you ask about what their looking for and don't apply if you don't meet their criteria, then you save your money.

I can't tell you how many apply with credit or income so far from what we tell every applicant. I don't know why they like spending their money on application fees when I just told them what we look for and they aren't even close.

I see no reason to spend money on more than one, maybe two, applications before getting a place. If it's more than that, there's something wrong with your application or credit and background checks that you aren't aware of, or you know there's a problem and aren't asking about their requirements up front.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:47 AM

Dang i tought thered be a universal company. That was my plan b just to know my credentials.
Well thank you much for the imput, really appreciate it.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:24 AM

I wonder if they share their findings. At lest that would be a way to look up your history.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:17 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
Bingo. Just today an applicant told me "we only ever park in the garage" when I was explaining the HOAs very strict street parking rules. I've been by their current home and both their cars are in the driveway. If it wasn't for that comment I would have rented to them. Even the best applicants are liars.
Maybe they're packing and using the garage as a staging area?

But it would have been better that they acknowledge, "I understand the cars will have to stay where the HOA says and ditto for any guests."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting