Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 09:07 AM

18 posts, read 35,426 times

Advertisements

Thank you for all the kind and helpful replies. We will ride it out. We are not the kind of people to not take care of the property. We have already made many improvements to this place,including the piles of old wood they LL left from renovations, (and claimed the would be "right over" with a truck to pick up because they forgot about it) cleaned up a huge "dumping" area by the back yard shed and grew a garden, painted interior rooms with neutral colors. We have no intentions of being blacklisted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 01:57 PM

57 posts, read 361,849 times
As others have said, first look through your lease and make sure you understand everything. Second, call the land lord and negotiate with them, but try to make it as fair and easy for them as possible so that they would want to let you leave. best way to do this would be to ask them if it is ok if you post an ad for the place and try to find a new tenant that they will approve of. Offer to do the showings yourself.

Most private land lords would be perfectly okay with this. I would be-- I don't have to do any work and my compensation doesn't change so it doesn't really matter who's living in it as long as their background and credit check outs and I approve of the new tenant. Most private land lords would rather have someone who WANTS to be there rather than force a tenant who DOESN'T want to be there to keep paying.

If this is a corporate landlord you may be in for a bit more of a challenge, as they are less willing to negotiate with tenants, especially at the lower staff levels...

Old 02-11-2014, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 761 times
I only have one month left and am purchasing a home. Gave them my notice and now they said they never got my purchase agreement. So now have to to pay again another month which I can't afford. What do I do

Old 02-11-2014, 01:07 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic0029 View Post
I only have one month left and am purchasing a home.

Gave them my notice and now they said they never got my purchase agreement.
You gave who notice, your LL? What does your purchase agreement (for the house?) have to do with your LL?

So now have to to pay again another month which I can't afford. What do I do
If you gave your LL the required amount of notice, why do you now have to pay another month's rent?

This is way too confusing with too much left out - sorry!

Old 02-11-2014, 03:04 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Why would they need your purchase agreement?

Here's a resource for legal aid in MN:

HOME Line — A nonprofit Minnesota statewide tenant advocacy organization

For anyone on this forum to help you, you need to give a lot more information.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:56 AM

139 posts, read 311,010 times
Like another poster mentioned it depends on private vs. corporate landlord. One of the best tenants I've ever had was a young man who called me in the middle of the third month (March) into a year's lease that he was moving into relative's house who had recently died. He paid for April and May, as he left a few items in the house, but everything was gone by the second week of April, plus I was able to show the house from late March on. He left the house spotless and professionally cleaned. To this day, I use the cleaning lady he used. I was able to find an excellent new tenant who moved in Memorial Day weekend. Although he did not ask me about the deposit, I returned it minus the May utilities I paid. I didn't have to, but it just felt like the right thing to do as this gentleman was so forthright with me and paid for two months he did not live in the house. Yes, I know that was the least he was supposed to do, as technically the entire lease was due, but let's get back to the real world, not too many would have even done that.

The above may not be feasible for you as my tenant moved to a free house, but you should be able to negotiate something, if the landlord is fairly reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting