Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 05:43 PM

2 posts, read 23,680 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

First post, so please excuse any forum faux pas.

Recently began renting a large 6 bedroom home. The landlords are... kooky, it's a family business, they are randomly sweet and rude to us. Over the past few weeks it's become clear that we should be diligent about documenting every interaction and repair as they sometimes "forget" about a problem or don't take action until we've followed up a few times. (After reporting a large problem with ants (in a bathroom and closet) it took 2 weeks for our LL to even schedule an exterminator)

The house is 100 years old, with lots of character and charm, we knew stuck windows, creaky floorboards, weird drafts, ghosts , etc were part of what we were getting ourselves into, but I have some questions and concerns about the electrical system.

We have five people living in the home, and we are about to add a sixth person to the lease. All of these people are on the lease and have their own bedrooms. LL has rented this house to roommate groups of 8+ in the recent past.

Before we rented they had updated the kitchen, new cabinets, new dishwasher, and new outlets. It's very nice and we're very happy here.

Except the electrical system in the home does not seem to be able to support five people, let alone the six that will soon be living there. We're constantly blowing fuses, thing is, it's not like we're running 5 microwaves and televisions and hairdryers all at the same time. It's mostly lights and computers charging, two or three tvs spread around this giant house. Actually pretty conservative for the number of people living there. But still, one person wants a frozen burrito and a side of the house shuts off.

Recently we blew a fuse running the microwave and an electric kettle on the same outlet (the new outlet with 6 plugs in the kitchen)

I'm not concerned about not using the microwave at the same time as anything else (though some of my roommates are...6 people...), but I am concerned that we will be held responsible for any damage from unintentionally "overloading the electrical system" constantly.

LL is quick and eager to deny responsibility to repair anything that may possibly be our responsibility/fault (example: When I informed him of the "broken kitchen outlet" he said we had to pay someone to fix it... not their problem (is that true??) It went away when he discovered it was only a blown fuse) I know that stuff like clogged toilets and drains are our responsibility to fix, but a non-functioning outlet??

Questions:
-Is there an easy or inexpensive way to check if the electrical system is up to code? And that everything is arranged in the most ideal way (like the fridge being on a separate breaker?) The circuit breaker box doesn't seem too antiquated, but it's not labeled and I don't know much about electrical stuff.

-What are ways to avoid unintentionally overloading the system? (I plugged a tv and cable box into one room with NOTHING else in it and half the house blew... Was there any way to have anticipated that or have prevented it?)

-What are our responsibilities as tenants to protect the electrical system from overloading constantly?

-What are the LL responsibilities to provide a stable electrical system for the number of people renting the house?

We paid two months rent for the security deposit (the max allowed by CA / LA law) so she has just over $10,000 of our money, and we heard from previous tenants that LL did everything she could to keep as much of their SD as possible. We especially don't want to lose it or any of our belongings to an electrical accident.

Any ideas, advice, or guidance is very much appreciated! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 05:49 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
If the walls are plaster, there is no way to rewire the whole house. It can have some new wiring where accessible (in attic) and the old knob-and-tube inside the walls. There should be a new circuit breaker box, not fuses. Also sounds very expensive to fix.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:50 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,676,227 times
Call yoor local authority that has jurisdiction over rental properties and first check to see if it is a legal rental. Your local town or city may require that the place posses some form or registration or code compliance. Based on if its a legal rental or not (and for the amount of tenants) will determin the course of action.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:57 PM

2 posts, read 23,680 times
If it's not a legal rental? Will just inquiring about it cause a lot of problems? Does that mean I've broken the law? Will we have to move out?

Old 09-27-2011, 07:04 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Under CA landlord tenant law (and a standard in all state laws), a landlord is responsible for providing a habitable rental which, amongst other things, must include, "An electric system, including lighting, wiring, and equipment, in good working order."

Yours is NOT in good working order and is a hazard. This is obviously an older building where electrical outlets have been added onto a system which can't support it and it's a hugely expensive fix. You need to start documenting everything and taking photographs (even videos) to demonstrate how even the simplest overload throws the breakers. Consult your state landlord tenant laws to determine who you should bring this to the attention of and then do it.

However much you love the charm of this old house I suggest you start looking for somewhere else to live. My concern is that the landlord obviously is very well aware of the problem, has demonstrated already that fixing simple things isn't a priority - and is happily sitting on a huge amount of your money in the form of a security deposit which I'm sure he'd love to keep when you leave.

Are you "blowing fuses" or tripping breakers? It doesn't make any difference except that fuses went out with the Dodo. Curious too that the breakers aren't labeled. Start working on a plan to get out of there. Good luck!

PS: No, you've broken no laws!!!

Old 09-27-2011, 07:20 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,361,405 times
Are all of you renting as a group (meaning you knew each other beforehand and went in on the rental together) or is the LL renting out rooms seperately to whoever wants to live there?

Old 09-27-2011, 07:21 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,096,273 times
yes to what STT said..

Why anyone would update a kitchen, add electrical outlets, and NOT update the electric panel is beyond me.

I know next to nothing about electricity, but I do know that if there are fuses used, that they have to be the right amperage or else it can cause a fire.

Check that please, or have someone check them for you.

I don't mean to scare you but I hope he supplied you with working smoke alarms.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:28 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,947,000 times
First of all, the house is quite probably up to required code. But 100 years ago nobody had TV's etc. So the wiring was probably updated to code at some later point. But in say the 1960's houses didn't have 3 TV, 5 computers, phone chargers, microwaves, Refers, well OK they had refrigerators..., but you get my point.

It's probably on a 100 amp breaker and you are using 120 amps.

Are your plugs two or three prong - that will help tell where you are elect wise. Also breakers or fuses?

Meanwhile be careful you do not overload circuts - typically several plugs are on the same circut and they may not be in the same room. Be careful or you may burn the place up.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:19 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,407,819 times
Exclamation hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessHarvester View Post
If it's not a legal rental? Will just inquiring about it cause a lot of problems? Does that mean I've broken the law? Will we have to move out?
I would suppose that if you cause your LL a headache and lots and lots of money you may be moving out anyway...sooner than you think.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:05 PM

815 posts, read 2,997,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
yes to what STT said..

Why anyone would update a kitchen, add electrical outlets, and NOT update the electric panel is beyond me.

I don't mean to scare you but I hope he supplied you with working smoke alarms.

Actually, unfortunately, a lot of people would Lauriedeee, a new electric box isn't a flashy upgrade, unlike things like granite countertops. Most people forget about systems, and they will bite you in the butt if you let them go.

Case in point. Parents of a good friend of mine, spend thousands re-siding and replacing their windows in their hundred year old house (neither really had to be done). But the wiring, which was in horrible shape, they do nothing (needed a new box and most of the wiring wasn't great).

The clothes dryer was on an extension cord!!! Come on!! Six months after the siding and window project, they had a fire. A major fire. A huge hot electric fire, fed by their brand new vinyl siding and windows (melted away). The house was a total loss.

The LL is risking plenty by not rewiring this house.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-29-2011 at 10:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting