Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 05:34 PM

13 posts, read 87,122 times

Advertisements

Hi,
New Landlord of single family house in Texas here. Rented a house to some people who signed a one year lease. They moved into the house in July and by the end of August moved out. They did pay September rent. Looks like I may have it rented to a family for October now (signing the lease tomorrow).

My question is what is a reasonable re-let fee? The rent was $1,100 a month. I have already talked to a lawyer who said I am legally allowed to charge a re-let fee but said the amount was discretionary. How much is normal to charge? One months rent? Half of one month's rent?

Thanks for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 05:58 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granolagirl333 View Post
Hi,
I have already talked to a lawyer who said I am legally allowed to charge a re-let fee but said the amount was discretionary.
Time for a new lawyer.

The relet fee is dicretionary as to charging it but not dicretionary as to what you can charge.

The fee would include the cost of readvertising the place, making it reasonably prepared for a new tenant (unless you took that cost out of the prior tenants security deposit), administrative cost associated with re renting the place (so long as you didn;t charge the new tenant for those cost) and whatever its costing you to find and place a new tenat in the place.
AND
It has to be rreasonable and proportionate to your normal measures for finding tennats. So if you normally place a newspaper ad, post signs, list on CL, etc, you can't go and hire a plane to fly all over the city towing a for rent sign. You can;t hire the Dallas Cheerleaders to stand out front doing a for rent cheer. It has to be reasonable an proportionate to your prior normal methods.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:01 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,668,304 times
What did the lease specify would happen is this case?

Old 09-29-2011, 06:23 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Without more experience in your market and more properties to spread costs across...
I'd be leery of using any sort of fixed fee for early terminations or re-letting.

Subject to the generally cooperative LL laws in Texas and what your lease may have boxed you into...
Stick with an accounting of the actual out of pocket expenses you incur to make ready, advertise, do credit reports, etc associated with a reasonable and diligent effort to re-let; PLUS all unpaid rent for every day the unit is empty. Don't make a final tally until the new tenants have moved in.

This cost recovery number could very easily exceed the security deposit you can charge.
In the even that it does... you then make the decision of whether you can get more out of the tenant (-->small claims court -->judgment -->try to collect) or to settle for what you already have on hand.

hth

Old 09-29-2011, 09:50 PM

Ok thanks for the info!
Law mom- lease did not specify a specific amount. It only stated that I had the right to remedy in case of breech of the lease.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:39 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,669,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granolagirl333 View Post
Ok thanks for the info!
Law mom- lease did not specify a specific amount. It only stated that I had the right to remedy in case of breech of the lease.
You must charge your cost. Cost of newspaper add, maybe you can even get gas to go showings etc. But you can only charge your actual costs.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:49 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,834 times
Lived there ONE month ? Did they give a reason for leaving?
I think I know the answer to that.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:34 AM

Trackwatch,

Yes, they did give a reason for leaving (personal between the 2 of them and I don't want to air their private business in public). So, how could you possibly "know the answer to that"?

Old 10-14-2011, 10:59 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,481,772 times
Are you allowed to keep the tenant's security if they move out before the lease is up? I live in NYC.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:20 PM

Follow-up: I ended up charging half month's rent for re-let fee. And updated the lease to include the amount if lease is broken early.....which is equivalent to one month's rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting