Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 07:19 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,922,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxx View Post
Thank you guys for all of your answers ,,, it is helpful and I'm getting some ideas,,, however I was thinking about different evidence such as using witness ,, letters and so on,,, can you tell me what kind of whitness and letter is good to have? And also is there any other evidence that I can use? Thanks a lot
Letters can generally be easily dismissed, as the writer isn't there for the other party to question.

From what the others have said, it sounds like you broke the law. At the very least, even if the defendant didn't pay, he could come and argue "unclean hands" and probably defeat your case.

Let this be an expensive lesson on why landlords need to follow the law and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 07:52 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,946,515 times
Also from now on NEVER EVER accept Cash to hand .. I demand a MO or a check so there is always a paper trail of payments .. I do not care if its an inconvience for the tenant or the LL that paper trail is gonna save somebodies butt down the line ..

Old 10-06-2011, 05:09 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
We accept cash, but I write a receipt for everyone who pays cash, even if they refuse to take it (yes, some won't keep them). That way, I have the carbon in my book, and if there is ever a question, I know who paid how much on what date.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:30 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn
If not then the burden to prove that they paid you should be in them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You think?

When discussions get to phrases like "burden of proof"...
the onus will usually be on the LL as the putative responsible party.
(even in Texas: Section 92.011 of the Texas Property Code to provide a written receipt for a cash rental payment. If the landlord violates this law, the tenant can recover $500 or one month’s rent, whichever is greater, plus court costs and attorney’s fees. )

In this instance, the LL can't prove the tenant made ANY payments.
Since he's going to Court anyway why not sue the tenant for the rent due for their entire tenancy?
He might just win big.
Funny how you left out the part of my quote that said:

Quote:
Does your state law require that you provide them with a reciept?
And what makes you assume he is in Texas? Neither his two posts or his profile indicate where he is from.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:50 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,376 times
Cash & "verbal" is never the way for rental.
You need a lease agreement and "proper" paper documentation.

Without these as proof and backing, in a he say she say case, all the tenant need to do is prove that you are "avoiding tax" and "scamming someone in these ways" will more than do you in. Never good to cheat the government in anyways... it only proves to the judge that YOU are "unreliable", hence "untruthful"... and if caught in a lie at court... it will be a very bad thing to do; might even land one jail time.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:09 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
This is a dead thread and a moot case. The OP can play a forum spin until the cows come home but his chances in court are ZERO.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:09 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
And what makes you assume he is in Texas? Neither his two posts or his profile indicate where he is from.
Texas has nothing to do with anything addressed to the OP.
My comment to the OP ended that with my saying:
"the onus will usually be on the LL as the putative responsible party."

Did you notice the parenthesis for the rest of what was said?

The question raised... is/was about the need, or just common sense, to provide written receipts for cash received and how such applies just about everywhere. This perspective seemed to be in conflict with the view you seemed to be taking.

To illustrate the point and that it applies just about everywhere, even where you are and seemed to somehow have gotten the opposite view, I provided the Texas law for your clarification. Did that help you? I hope so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting