Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 08:23 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,098,775 times

Advertisements

Hi

will be renting for the first time. The unit has two AC window units. Are these secure? Can't someone just pull them out. Or worse yet push them in to get into the apartment? Or are there usually window locks to stop the window from opening higher than just enough to hold the units? I only saw the apartment once a while ago.

And if the unit does get stolen, THEY have to replace it right? Also same with if it stops working? One of the units was left by a previous tenant, but normally doesn't come with their apartments. Are they obligated to maintain that one as well. I.e. aren't they obligated to maintain all the things I saw when I got the apartment - that those are the things that are technically part of the lease contract, because that's what I consented to/expected when I got the apartment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 08:31 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
Hi

Are these secure?
Can't someone just pull them out.
Or worse yet push them in to get into the apartment?
Or are there usually window locks...

And if the unit does get stolen, THEY have to replace it right?
Also same with if it stops working?

One of the units was left by a previous tenant...
ask the LL.
There are no fixed answers for any of these Q's.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:37 AM

912 posts, read 5,259,053 times
All your answers should be answered by the lease.

Except for the security portion of it. Its not too hard to fix up a window so that the AC cannot be removed without doing extensive damage to the window-glass and frame.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:01 AM

OK

any more details on how to do that with a window AC?

Old 10-03-2011, 10:09 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Has the LL told you he *won't* make the window and the unit secure?
Ask.

There are lots of ways to do it but any of the ones that actually work will require hardware secured to his woodwork.
In the event you do it yourself... google.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:01 AM

912 posts, read 5,259,053 times
Quote:
OK

The link below should answer ALL of your questions regarding this matter.

Let me google that for you

Old 10-03-2011, 02:12 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
if the window a/c were left from the previous tenant, the tenants either didnt need them or felt it was too much of a bother to take them. It is probably not the responsibility of the LL.

so if they break, you are owed nothing.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:02 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,095,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
The link below should answer ALL of your questions regarding this matter.

Let me google that for you
that was so cool! The site I mean. Did you do that?

Old 10-04-2011, 05:18 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,881,476 times
Read the lease. It should list appliances and how many window units are included. If the previous tenants left the window unit behind, the LL can exclude responsibility for care and maintenance. It needs to be in the lease. Read it.
As for security, check with the LL if the window units are secure, that much the LL is responsible for because that is part of the security of the unit.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:53 PM

update:

so people are saying "look at your lease". Well people, and I was pretty sure about this before even you guys said it, just beacuse something is in a lease contract doesn't mean it holds. Landlords have to maintain a property, period, and respond in a timely manner. Furthermore, if the don't, you can deduct any changes you make and spend money on from the rent. There are plenty of clauses in my contract that say that it's all up to the landlord's discretion, but they aren't enforceable. They still have to provide me with a livable area. For example, I already knew there is a law out there on the NJ books that explicitly says that LL's have to provide like 72 degrees at least during the winter.

On the AC unit specifically, the "truth in renting" handbook they have to give you says:
"As to air conditioning, the Superior Court, Appellate Division has held that air conditioning that is part of the original tenancy may be considered a "vital facility," and air conditioning failure effects the habitability of the premises.

And the more general not about landlords having to provide a livable space I also got from the handbook. Though the 72 degrees thing I knew about before even renting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting