Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 6,687 times

Advertisements

Hello.

So, having only lived in actual apartment buildings I'm now considering moving to a basement apartment in a House. I'm curious if this sort of apartment is more likely to be noisy, both being able to hear them and their being able to hear me.

I tend to be rather quiet and enjoy quiet, but I do have strange hours that leave me up and about late at night sometimes and I wouldn't want it to be a problem to the people living above me.

Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 07:59 AM

912 posts, read 5,258,613 times
It will all really depend on how the house is constructed.

The two main things to worry about in a basement dwelling, in my opinion, would be footsteps from upstairs and utility devices (heater, AC, ect).

Also, basements could potentially be a bit more humid and have poorer air circulation.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:02 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,921,089 times
I don't know if there's any inherent difference in noise transmission compared to other apartments, but you will probably hear your neighbors and they will probably hear you. I agree with CarlitosBala in that it all depends on the construction. I've always avoided basement apartments simply because they feel dark and cramped. It might be better if you have a walkout patio or something.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:31 AM

650 posts, read 2,516,876 times
I lived in one without any real issue. It wasn't too far below grade and got decent light.
I could hear some footsteps here and there, none more than you could in any apt building.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:42 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
I lived for a while in the basement of a big old brownstone apartment building in New England many years ago and loved it. It was wonderfully cool in the summer, very cozy in the winter, was never damp or humid and the noise was minimal. There again the construction was solid and, as has been said, there's no answer to your question as so much depends on that.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:20 PM

27 posts, read 132,039 times
you will hear noise, steps, running and so on if the basement ceiling/area has not been constructed with sound proofing. If you do rent a basment apartment, make sure it's a legal apartment with proper entrances/exits, fire rated windows, etc. Good Luck.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:48 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,095,392 times
always check to see where the main sewer line is located if you're thinking of moving into a basement apartment. If the upstairs lines back up, all that smelly stuff is gonna end up all in your bathtub or on your floor.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:20 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times
Depends on if it was well constructed, not just some homeowner who cheaply slab some drywalls up to make a rental space for easy income. If there is no soundproofing or insulation on the basement ceiling, you'll for sure hear every footstep from LL's living space.

I looked at 3 basement rentals and despite how 'nice' the prospective LL claim they are, I couldn't pull the trigger. Lack of natural light for one, low ceilings (cramp feeling like someone said), and the dampness. I live in an inlaw apt now that used to be a garage. So it's same grade as the grounds. Normally there's no dampness, but we've had lots of rain lately (in NE here) and I can smell a weird damp smell now.... So lesson to myself is because apt looks and feels 'dry', doesn't mean it'll be that way all the time. Also you'd probably need to run a dehumidifer a lot - kind of has an annoying noise to it if it bothers you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting