Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 01:19 AM

7 posts, read 23,346 times

Advertisements

Hi all Im newly registered and have to ask a question regarding our nosey landlord and sensitive neighbors.

I believe we are being harassed. We moved into this unit (a 60 unit complex) about 3 months ago on a 6 month lease. The apt manager is a resident here and we pay our rent to the unit owner. The apt manager has had it in for us since day 1. Totally bitchy and never nice. She walks around with a scowl on her face almost at all times and is completely unapproachable. She also happens to live 2 doors down. sigh....

Long story short the neighbors complained about our puppy which had separation anxiety issues whenever we weren't there. The complex is dog friendly. The walls are thin and apparently his barks and whines could be heard. Understandably we did what we could to placate the situation but to no avail and after a long drawn out process which ultimately ended in a threatening letter from the HOA lawyer, we've been forced to place our pet in boarding. Its expensive.

The other day we got accused through another letter of smoking marijuana as she detected the flowery odor emanating from our unit. Our door is next to hallway door which open up to the outside, granted several floors up. Her argument was that it wasn't her and it wasn't the neighbors directly next to us therefore it was us. Then she accused us of having a dog in our unit again as barks were heard. Again...total BS.

What can I do about her? Is this harassment? Can she constantly bug us like this with little substance? Something tells me she can't go around calling people stoners but Im not sure. Something tells me I could've fought the dog barking situation (isn't there a decibel regulation?) but I didn't choose to go that route at the time.

Please help.

Side note: We already arranged to leave early due to this situation. If it comes down to eviction, can they have us evicted within about a month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 06:42 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,418,810 times
What she's doing is annoying but probably isn't actionable harassment. Obviously the dog issue was justifiable. Since the complaint about the pot smoking and the accusation about still having a dog in the unit were in writing you could simply address that with a simple one-liner in return denying both allegations.

You said you're doing an early quit and it's highly unlikely that even if an eviction notice were filed against you that it would even get to court before you leave. Just chalk it up to a bad experience and, up until you leave, just try and stay far away from this woman. Good luck in your new place.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:25 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,438,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K:thecore View Post
Long story short the neighbors complained about our puppy...
Long story short...
did the LL and manager know you planned to bring a puppy into the apartment before you signed the lease?

If so... then they got what they deserved.
(which means that you and your puppy can't be evicted solely for issues related to having a puppy)

Secondarily, if the complex lease doesn't address pets...
I bet it will in the future.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:37 AM

912 posts, read 5,236,296 times
Separation Anxiety is a very cute way of saying your dog barks constantly throughout the day.

Get a second dog to keep it company. We got a small dog for our big dog, they get along perfectly fine and keep each other company when we are not home.

Oh yeah, find a new living arrangement, your current one sucks.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Long story short...
did the LL and manager know you planned to bring a puppy into the apartment before you signed the lease?

If so... then they got what they deserved.
(which means that you and your puppy can't be evicted solely for issues related to having a puppy)

Secondarily, if the complex lease doesn't address pets...
I bet it will in the future.
Re-read the first post. The apartment complex was/is dog friendly. 99% of complexes which allow dogs have caveats in such leases which address pet issues such as scratching, noise, pooping and peeing, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
Separation Anxiety is a very cute way of saying your dog barks constantly throughout the day.

Get a second dog to keep it company. We got a small dog for our big dog, they get along perfectly fine and keep each other company when we are not home.

Oh yeah, find a new living arrangement, your current one sucks.
Your dog barking when you're away is no excuse where a LL is concerned and hardly is a reason for adjoining tenants who have to put up with the yipping and yapping to simply hunker down and say to themselves, "Oh, the poor pup is suffering from separation anxiety but, hey, we can deal with only four hours of sleep a night ..." Good grief!

You shouldn't be pet owners if you can't take on the responsibility of being pet owners. Bringing another one into the mix can work but also can only add to the melee when you end up having two unattended dogs who don't like each other too well and BOTH end up yipping and yapping when you're gone.

Just another reason for people to NOT adopt animals unless they fully understand the commitment. Pots and pans, chairs and tables, electronics and TVs are all expendable. Pets aren't.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:07 AM

61,290 posts, read 87,066,921 times
based on what you said, i dont think you are being harassed. i think you got a dog and dope problem not a mouthy ugly faced landlord problem.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Re-read the first post. The apartment complex was/is dog friendly.
I should have been more clear in my point:
Puppies are NOT dogs... or at least not yet.

And yeah, the manager is a tool.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
I should have been more clear in my point:
Puppies are NOT dogs... or at least not yet.
Oh, OK. So until they turn into dogs what genus are they?

Old 10-14-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Oh, OK. So until they turn into dogs what are (puppies)?
Puppies are unformed, unknown, untrained, baby dogs.
Surely you don't need to have this explained to you.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Puppies are unformed, unknown, untrained, baby dogs.
Surely you don't need to have this explained to you.
Unformed - missing parts?
Unknown - to whom?
Untrained - a puppy by definition is untrained?
baby dogs - AHA, just as I thought although generally referred to as "young" dogs rather than "baby" dogs. But dogs nonetheless.

Many thanks for the attempt at clarification as I obviously DO need to have this explained to me. I was thinking that if puppies weren't by definition dogs, landlords would have to reword pet clauses in their leases to include "puppies" as well as "dogs" and, by extension, "kittens" as well as "cats".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting