Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 07:01 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,099,087 times

Advertisements

Hi all

my apartment has few lights. I could get lamps, but I find that annoying, having to walk to the lamp, I like the switch right at the door. Plus, lamps aren't very bright.

Are there any sort of lights that are like light fixture - they look decent and take normal bulbs - but that you mount onto the ceiling as though they were hard-wired lights, and then you just tape the wire to the ceiling and run it along to down the wall and into the outlet/receptacle? And then you do the same with the switch but mount that on the wall

Is there anything out there like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 07:21 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,755,375 times
The closest thing I can picture to what you are describing is a hanging lamp (ask at your local lighting / home improvement store) that plugs in with a twist - style switch in the cord. I don't know how you would put a switch on the wall with that type of lamp...

Old 10-15-2011, 08:49 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,317 times
What you need it the clapper. These are devices that attach to lights and you clap your hands together and they turn on. Put a 100 watt bulb in your light and its gonna be pretty bright.

You can also get sensors that turn on when you exit. But the clapper is pretty good, and rather cheap. My son had several for his rooms.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:07 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
Hi all
my apartment has few lights.

mount onto the ceiling
tape the wire to the ceiling
run it along to down the wall
Yes; all sorts of options exist.
Talk to your landlord before doing any of them

He may have an option to help you...
that will be safe and hold up well
and that will also not risk damage expenses later on.

hth

Old 10-16-2011, 07:18 AM

106,642 posts, read 108,790,719 times
leviton makes a nice controller that is wireless and will control lots of things with either a hand held remote or a tabletop controller.

the sytem can be as simple or as complex as you want to make it .

if you call leviton and ask for technical they will guide you with the best way to set up your system for what you want to control. you can even have your heat activated remotely from a remote computer or phone .

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCZ...5&respid=22372

Old 10-16-2011, 08:25 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
There are interesting lighting options on the X10.com website

http://www.x10.com/promotions/tm751_....html?TWENTY11

Old 10-16-2011, 08:37 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
You can use a wall-socket for any ceiling fixture, I think. That's how they attached the lights in the old days. There was decorative chain around the cord and it plugged into the wall. There was a bracket on the ceiling w/ no wiring behind it. I believe these may also have been used for fixtures that held candles.

You can do the following (which I do not recommend unless you own the property or get permission from the landlord and have a professional do the installation):
1. Mount a bracket to a stud in the ceiling if one does not exist.
2. Buy the ceiling light fixture that's not too heavy.
3. Buy a plug-in cord from the hardware store. It has plugs at one end and wires at the other.
4. Buy electrical tape.
5. Buy extra long chain.

Then to put it together, you attach the cord (3) to the wires from the light fixture and secure with electrical tape. I am going to assume you know about positive and ground etc. Or the fixture comes with instructions for attaching to a regular outlet instead of hardwiring. If you have no clue...contact an electrician. You attach the chain to cover the wire from the top of the fixture to about where the plug is. This is decorative.

You then hang the fixture from the ceiling using a screw, or by hanging the chain from the hook. You can plug the fixture into the wall afterwards. A lot of chandeliers come w/ extra hooks so you can swag the chain over to the wall similar to the photos:

Old 10-16-2011, 11:00 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,212,654 times
IKEA has some nice lights that would work

Old 10-17-2011, 07:59 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,096,877 times
When I bought my wall sconces for the bedroom I added my own plugs. I bought 2 extension cords, cut off the end of them, scraped some of the plastic off to expose the wires and attached it to the wires in the light, capped them off and plugged them in. Its been 6 years and they're still working fine.

Some stores sell plastic cord covers that will keep the cord straight and make it less of an eyesore. You might want to look into them if you plan on running it along the ceiling.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:16 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,922,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
There are interesting lighting options on the X10.com website

X10 Remote-Controlled Lighting Kit - NOW ONLY $29.99
Came here to say this. I've used X10 for over a decade now. It's simple, cheap, and effective. If you're hooking any non-incandescent lights (such as CFLs or LEDs) into a module, be sure to plug more than two in there. Those appliance modules sometimes turn themselves on form the low current draw of those style lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting