Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2011, 03:44 AM

3 posts, read 10,506 times

Advertisements

I have a big problem, I moved to a new room and my new landlord ask a referencing agency to check my references. Since ten days now they try to speak to him by phone but he never answer. I try t call him aswell, I sent him sms, mail.. .but no responses and I'm going t be homeless in a few days because of him.

Can I threaten him with legal action?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 04:45 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Maybe you could explain this a little better and reword it as the way it's written doesn't seem to make sense.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:16 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agathe View Post
I moved to a new room and my new landlord ask a referencing agency to check my references.
Since ten days now they try to speak to him by phone but he never answer.

I have a big problem...
Actually, it sounds like someone else has a petty nuisance sort of problem.
You... are moved into whatever "a new room" means.

Quote:
...and I'm going t be homeless in a few days because of him.
Not in the US. As you're in place... you have certain rights to remain there.

Whatever the specifics actually are... you need to find LOCAL help;
and that from someone who knows what the local LAW's are.

hth

Old 10-24-2011, 07:48 AM

I 'm sorry I'm french so I don't have the best english. I arrived in Uk and I rent a room in a shareflat in London during 7 month. At the end fo my contract I decided to move to an other shareflat. So I moved to the new place 10 days ago.
My new landlord ask for some references: work contract, bank statement and the contact of my last landlord (where I spent 7 month) but this one never answered to the phone (we try since 10 days to catch him on the phone) so they can't check my references and they will look for someone else for the room .

PS: My new landlord doesn't know I'm already in the new room, because one of the roommate left 15 days before the end of the contract and I took his place.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:16 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agathe View Post
PS: My new landlord doesn't know I'm already in the new room,
because one of the roommate left 15 days before the end of the contract and I took his place.
Aha! The plot thickens.

Technically or legally you might be considered trespassing or a squatter...
or you might be considered an unauthorized sublet...
or an occupant with some tenancy rights...
or perhaps some other status depending on local custom.

These finer points and what rights vs responsibilities (that you each have!)
might apply to you and the LL... will be based in what UK law provides.

You still need to find someone local to offer more specific advice.

Quote:
...So I moved to the new place 10 days ago.
My new landlord ask for some references...
...the contact of my last landlord (where I spent 7 month)
...never answered to the phone
Gotcha.

With the exception of contacting the last landlord...
may I assume that the new landlord would be satisfied with the *other* aspects of your 'resume'?
That you're in the UK legally, and employed, and earning enough to afford the rent etc?

This leaves the very common concern of LL's everywhere that they avoid "bringing trouble
into the house" in the form of tenants who leave their previous situations in poor form...
not enough notice, not paying bills, damages, etc.

Again, you need local help with this.
Try these folks: Shelter England - The housing and homelessness charity

Good luck.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:35 AM

The rent's contract is for 1 year. I only have a 6 month contract so they told me that I will have to pay in advance the 6 other months. I said Yes no problem. But even if I accepted to pay 6 month in advance they told me that at first they have to contact my landlord .. .so I'm blocked.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:46 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Ten days if not a very long time. He could be on vacation. In the hospital. Lost his phone. Any number or reasons.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:03 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Do you have cancelled checks that prove you paid rent every month, on time? Maybe your bank can get you copies of these to show the new landlord?

FYI...One of my friends rented an apartment for 5 years and always paid on time and was a good renter. The friend decided to buy a home and the mortgage company called the landlord to get a reference. The landlord would never give the reference-ignored all requests.

The renter guessed that the landlord wanted to renter to stay, and maybe not get the home(?). Who really knows. The mortgage company then requested cancelled checks for the last couple years since landlord was not giving what was requested. The friend did buy the home and moved out and left the apartment in great condition and got 100% of secruity deposit refunded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting