Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 05:33 PM

589 posts, read 1,347,856 times

Advertisements

Okay, technically it's landlady, not landlord.

We are 12 months into a 36 month (3 year) lease on a house. We take good care of the property, we are consistently on time with the rent. There's never been an issue there.

A few months after our cat passed away at 19 years old, I spoke to her about wanting to adopt a dog, but one that would be larger than the size limit stated in the lease. Not only did she okay that immediately, but... the rescue we worked with asked for three references in addition to our landlady. They called her first, and she gave such a glowing reference that the rescue never even bothered to call our other references.

Now, as we approach the first anniversary of our moving in, I received a card in the mail today. Our landlady wished us a happy first anniversary in the house, and is crediting us with $50 toward our November rent, just as a thank you for being good tenants.

So, for all those tenants who say all landlords are money-grubbing crooks, and all those landlords who say tenants are low-life scum... there are some good ones out there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 05:42 PM

800 posts, read 1,911,218 times
It's refreshing that you have such a great relationship with your landlady.

There are some renters that treat us landlords (and our houses) like they are doing us a favor by renting from us, and they feel free to trash the place, but we also have great tenants that respect us as fair landlords and they treat the home like they are invited guests. How nice of your landlady to send you a note and give you the $50 off towards your rent. I might consider that as a way to let our better tenants know we appreciate them, and thus give them even more incentive to sign a second year lease.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:36 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,950 times
Its refreshing that you have tried to have a fine relationship with your landlord. When our tenants complained about the cost of heating thge hosue with the propane, we offered to take $200 off their rent during the coldest three months of the year. Without so much as a thank you, they took the $200 off the next three monhths and then proceeded to be 6 weeks late on the next rent payment. We never even heard a thank you.

Since their rent didn't pay for the taxes and the mortgage, our taking $200 of their rent, made it a gift of $600 that we didn't have an had to take out of our retirement resources to do.

Good for you!!

Last edited by Zarathu; 10-25-2011 at 07:14 PM..

Old 10-25-2011, 06:47 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Its refreshing that you have tried to have a fine relationship with your landlord. When our tenants complained about the cost of heating thge hosue with the propane, we offered to take $200 off their rent during the coldest three months of the year. Without so much as a thank you, they took the $200 off the next three monhths and then proceeded to be 6 weeks late on the next rent payment. We never even heard a thank you.

Since their rent didn't pay for the taxes and the mortgage, our taking $200 of their rent, made it a gift of $600 that we didn't have an had to take out of our retirement resources to do.
Zarathu: Why didn't you evict them for being late on the rent in the spring? They are still causing you issues today, even though they were problematic many months ago. You are enabling them, then complaining about it.

Last edited by sware2cod; 10-25-2011 at 07:22 PM..

Old 10-25-2011, 06:53 PM

14 posts, read 75,331 times
You're pretty lucky. My landlord doesn't want to fix anything. There is peeling lead paint all over the house I'm renting. The windows were nailed shut when I moved in and he very begrudgingly had them opened. The house was rented to me filthy and yet they claimed it was "professionally cleaned."

When we started renting here, we did so on a one year lease and were given the impression that the owner wanted to lease for the long term. 5 months into our lease, we find out we're 3 months pregnant and also that the owner wants to sell the property. We try to ask for a mutual agreement to end the lease to allow us to move before the baby comes, instead of 1 month after the baby comes. The landlord says no, saying that he relies on our monthly income to survive. Fair enough, we signed a contract, we can abide by it. We try to purchase the house from him, but he wants more than we feel the house is worth, knowing the true condition of the house having lived here. No go there.

Fast forward to now, and he finally puts the home on the market. We've been trying to be helpful and keep the house clean and help it show nicely (nicer than it actually is, for sure). We allow people in to see the home with appointments. But now the landlord's position is, if I get an offer that wants possession now, how soon can you leave?

So, you didn't want to let me leave when it was easier for me to pack (and I had a place nearby for a reasonable price that I could have moved to), because you relied on my income. But now that you want to sell, you want to make me pack up and move out when I'm 8/9 months pregnant? Ridiculous.

Both tenants and landlords can be awful. We take really good care of properties we rent, treat them respectfully, and even go out of our way to keep the property show worthy when our landlord is trying to sell. What does he do for us? The house is barely taken care of by him, we have to pay all utilities, and he tries to string us along to the last possible minute so he can make as much money as he can.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:26 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Zarathu: Why didn't you evict them for being late on the rent in the spring? They are still causing you issues today, even though they were problematic many months ago. You are enabling them, then complaining about it.
I did. But I wasn't a professional landlord. I had no one to advise me, and a rental agent supposedly handlign my affairs. And, since the property was my retirement house, I didn't want to make them angrier than the might be, since I didn't want to have to do major repairs, before I could move in.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:59 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Default That's good.

Nice to hear a good story. I had a similar experience in Brooklyn, while renting in a private home. They would invite me to BBQ's, were friendly and down to earth. I stayed for a year as it was a basement and a bit small. I still keep in touch occasionally through e-mail even after several years.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:20 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieM View Post
Okay, technically it's landlady, not landlord.

We are 12 months into a 36 month (3 year) lease on a house. We take good care of the property, we are consistently on time with the rent. There's never been an issue there.

A few months after our cat passed away at 19 years old, I spoke to her about wanting to adopt a dog, but one that would be larger than the size limit stated in the lease. Not only did she okay that immediately, but... the rescue we worked with asked for three references in addition to our landlady. They called her first, and she gave such a glowing reference that the rescue never even bothered to call our other references.

Now, as we approach the first anniversary of our moving in, I received a card in the mail today. Our landlady wished us a happy first anniversary in the house, and is crediting us with $50 toward our November rent, just as a thank you for being good tenants.

So, for all those tenants who say all landlords are money-grubbing crooks, and all those landlords who say tenants are low-life scum... there are some good ones out there!
I hope to have the same type of relationship with my tenant. Good for you!

Old 10-26-2011, 06:33 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,554,950 times
We have a pretty good landlord too. We've been here almost 15 years now. It's a 100 year old house so there is always gonna be something breaking down or needing repair. We handle a lot of that on our own (he's OK with that). However, when it is something we can't do or afford he usually takes care of it in a timely manner. We've had a few things take longer to repair than it should have but it was never something that was a habitability issue and it was something we could live with. Once in a while, we just have to nudge him a bit. He's a nice guy and he doesn't intrude on our privacy and we don't bug him with every little thing. After 15 years we're like family! lol.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:36 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
We have a pretty good landlord too. We've been here almost 15 years now. It's a 100 year old house so there is always gonna be something breaking down or needing repair. We handle a lot of that on our own (he's OK with that). However, when it is something we can't do or afford he usually takes care of it in a timely manner. We've had a few things take longer to repair than it should have but it was never something that was a habitability issue and it was something we could live with. Once in a while, we just have to nudge him a bit. He's a nice guy and he doesn't intrude on our privacy and we don't bug him with every little thing. After 15 years we're like family! lol.
Wow! You are like family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting