Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2011, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 3,921 times

Advertisements

[FONT=Tms Rmn]We just closed on our townhome as primary residency under an FHA loan. Unfortunately, at the time of our contract, few months before closing, my husband got a job out of state. We decided to close on it to keep our earnest money and to keep the house since he plans to move back. I plan to stay in the meantime with my parents close by. In this span of 2 yrs we want to rent it out. Will there be any problems if I change the homeowners insurance policy to rental policy since the loan stipulation is like 6 months to live there and the lender may find out from the change in the insurance policy?
[/FONT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 11:46 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,887,890 times
the lender should have a copy of the initail homeowners insurance. If and when you cancel it and or change it to a renter's policy, the insurance company may send a copy to the mortgage company. Especially if the insurance and taxes are in escrow with the mortgage. Ask the insurance agent if that is the process. The mortagage company may or may not make it an issue.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:49 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippotomas View Post
We just closed on our townhome as primary residency under an FHA loan.
...my husband got a job out of state.
This is considered a hardship.
Try to use this to get out of the mortgage and the house.
Any alternatives will (almost always) cost more.

Quote:
he plans to move back.
I plan to stay ... with my parents close by.
In this span of 2 yrs we want to rent it out.
Oy vey.
Be very, very, very.... careful.

Quote:
homeowners insurance policy to rental policy...
the loan stipulation is like 6 months to live...
Six months? that's rather generous of them.

Will there be any problems if...
Oh yeah there will; and the property tax will be more too.
About the only way you do this is to "sneak" it.

hth

Old 10-27-2011, 06:11 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
If you also claim "homestead" than it is fraud if it isn't your primary residence. In all other cases you are committing fraud if you don't disclose it to the ins./mortgage company.

Honesty is always the best thing to have a good night sleep without worrying about what will come in the mail the next day or who will on your doorstep...JMO.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:13 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Yes, there will be problems. You will be found out by your lender. As stated above, if you are claiming 'homestead' on your property taxes and not living in the home, you are commiting fraud.

How will you be found out you say? Well......you insurance company for one thing will rat you out so fast your head will spin. And when you forward your mail to your parents home, they will find that out too.

No need to try and 'get out' of your mortage...there's no hardship in this situation...just a couple who made a major purchase without thinking in thru.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:17 PM

192 posts, read 826,815 times
Maybe consider living there and keeping it as your primary residence but rent out a room or two to tenants in the meantime to make up some of the monthly payment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting