Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 04:25 PM

10 posts, read 46,988 times

Advertisements

i'm a student living in west hollywood in a 2br/2bth with 3 other roommates. we pay $2850 a month. mid october, the hall bathroom/shower began to have only mildly warm water. i texted the building manager who sent a plumber to change out the faucet. problem remains, now sometimes never getting above full cold. i have been using the master bathroom when possible, although i often wake up earlier than those roommates making a shower sometimes not possible.

after much complaining, the owner came down to check it out himself and told me he doesn't want to hear about it anymore and to live with it. we got into a minor argument about it and he said he'd have the mixer/valve changed out thursday.

today is friday, the master bathroom tub had a leak and had to be closed off. the hall bath is still cold. i called the housing manager to ask where the plumber was yesterday and he said there was another emergency and he couldn't make it - now scheduled for monday. i asked what we were supposed to do about showering and he said the hall one is live-able...which it most definitely is not. what can we do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 04:39 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,777,347 times
Here ya go:
Tenant Rights, Laws and Protections: California

These are your rights under the law in Kalifornia. I have rental properties and see all kinds of stuff but hot water is a must or I'd expect to see the place trashed afterwards. It's a lot cheaper to fix it than to repair a trashed apt, but I'm not advocating you to trash the place. Read up on it as it applies in Kalifornia and hammer the guy. For what yer paying for rent, he should have good looking girls giving you that hot shower, but then you'd need cold water, LOL!

Old 11-04-2011, 04:52 PM

well crazy enough, we put down deposit plus last month's rent. so any damage still leaves us on the hook. i guess the master tub is 'fixed' but can't be used until tomorrow. so today i'm dirty at work after working on my buddy's car this morning. the only issue i have seen is that the tenant code says we need at least one working shower...which we may have. it's just in the master bathroom which makes it sometimes inaccessible.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:56 PM

what would be a 'reasonable' amount of time to repair a shower?

Old 11-04-2011, 05:13 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,482,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcman17 View Post
what would be a 'reasonable' amount of time to repair a shower?
24 hours from first notice.

Call LL and right the F now...
"either it's working by dinnertime or I get my own plumber, at overtime rates, and take it off next months rent"

Old 11-04-2011, 05:34 PM

well we should still have one working shower come tomorrow, albeit in the master bdrm. if the monday plumber bails again, i'll give him written notice that i'm finding my own plumber asap.

also, i've developed a bad cough since living here that never goes away. there are lots of leaking pipes and bad tubs (like our own) in the building and i have seen a decent amount of soaked drywall/mold. i thought i just had a cough but i've now had it for over a month. not trying to be a complainer, but it has persisted. is there anything i can do about testing for mold?

Old 11-04-2011, 11:03 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,444,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
24 hours from first notice.

Call LL and right the F now...
"either it's working by dinnertime or I get my own plumber, at overtime rates, and take it off next months rent"
Probably a good idea to read this before using this tactic:

California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs

Old 11-11-2011, 10:26 AM

still no hot hall shower....

last friday he said the plumber would be here monday
this monday, he came with the plumber and said they'd fix it wednesday (no show)
yesterday, he said the plumber would start collecting parts and planning monday

i asked him for a deadline and he said 'i'll keep you posted'

so i kind of went on a limb and via text (he doesn't use email) i told him if it wasn't fixed by weds nov 16 (30 days after first notice) i intended to hire my own plumber and pay him from dec rent.

the PM told me i can't do that because he has receipts to show they've been trying....although the plumber has only come in the apartment once.

bottom line is my roommate and i are still taking cold showers.

i'm going to draft a letter tonight and cert mail it to him tomorrow.

Last edited by mkcman17; 11-11-2011 at 10:57 AM..

Old 11-11-2011, 10:03 PM

7,555 posts, read 8,594,946 times
Do you pay for gas? If not, use the gas to boil hot water for showering and let LL know. It's their money, too.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:21 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,444,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Do you pay for gas? If not, use the gas to boil hot water for showering and let LL know. It's their money, too.
How does the pot of boiling water get into the hot water tank in order to come through the shower head? Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting