Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 12:49 PM

6 posts, read 20,421 times

Advertisements

Here's our update- We did decide to move out. Our landlord said we could terminate our lease so that's what we are going to do. My brother (a contractor) fixed the ceiling and the landlord was fine with that.

We did purchase a dehumidifier when we moved in because the humidity in the house was so high and we didn't want our belongings getting damaged by mold. We also talked to the previous tenant (who now lives in the apartments across from us) who said she had mold all the time but the LL would not do anything about it. I asked the LL about it, but he said the previous tenant is lying. I don't really want to get involved in that, just happy to get out and hoping for some deposit back.

I'm sorry I didn't answer about the COO. Not sure what that is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 01:20 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,196,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaggyc View Post
Here's our update- We did decide to move out. Our landlord said we could terminate our lease so that's what we are going to do. My brother (a contractor) fixed the ceiling and the landlord was fine with that.

We did purchase a dehumidifier when we moved in because the humidity in the house was so high and we didn't want our belongings getting damaged by mold. We also talked to the previous tenant (who now lives in the apartments across from us) who said she had mold all the time but the LL would not do anything about it. I asked the LL about it, but he said the previous tenant is lying. I don't really want to get involved in that, just happy to get out and hoping for some deposit back.

You did the right thing. I would still let the health dept. know about the conditions of the house, and the reasons that you had to move. Here in N.D. I have a young male client, 23ish. He lived for less than 2 mths in a rental house, developed severe symptoms, diagnosed over a period of testing as addisons, he was told it was from the mold exposure. His dad had investigated, because the mold was not visible.....finally it was discovered that sheet rock, that had not been replaced simply covered over following our 97' flood here, was under the paneling. He will have lifelong issues w/ this illness. I am not an expert, but as part of a large disaster effort here, researched, and helped educate ppl to the hazards after a flood. The mold can continue to grow, unseen in the cellulois interior of sheetrock, part of the insides of sheet rock. We learned that a person needed to completely remove sheet rock that had been exposed to flood water. Even just a few inches required removal of approx 3 ft. Mold will continue to grow up thru the sheetrock and into a second story, thru the walls. It is always best to er on the side of caution. The other caution is that removal swhould always be done by professionals, mold spores can float through the air, and then grow somewhere else. Also, vents which are throughout your hame are an airway for things just like mold, cigarette smoke etc. I have my vents cleaned professionally when I have changed houses. And true, the reason to have it professionally inspected is that some mold can be simply wioed away, or sprayed w/ a mixture of bleach & water. But, identifying the differant types of mold is critical to knowing how to treat it. It is scarey, and a person should really be cautious. Again, my opinions are expressed based on my own life experiences, I am neither a professional, nor an attorney. I always suggest to consult professionals in your own area.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:44 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,792,906 times
COO=Certificate of Occupancy as far as I know. Many states do not require them, many do.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:51 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,662,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaggyc View Post

I'm glad it was resolved to your satisfaction but agree with:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
You did the right thing. I would still let the health dept. know about the conditions of the house, and the reasons that you had to move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
COO=Certificate of Occupancy as far as I know. Many states do not require them, many do.
Someone already let me know about that but thanks. I'm used to it being referred to as a CO not a COO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting