Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 03:17 PM

2,233 posts, read 5,470,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I have had 2 recent tenant applications that each said these requirements were acceptable but then failed the screening. When I advised them, each informed me they had been accepted by every other landlord and my requirements were too stringent. I offer great properties at slightly below market competition and have felt this allows me to be selective. However, do you believe my requirements are too difficult for tenants:

Rental Requirements:
1. Minimum 21 years of age. All adults must complete an application. Maximum 2 children and 2 adults for a 2 bedroom house. No smoking is permitted inside the house. Maximum 2 vehicles per residence.

2. Complete, signed, dated application.

3. No felonies within in the last five years.

4. Copy of a valid Driver’s License, State Identification Card, or Passport at lease execution.

5. Copy of a Social Security Card at lease execution - Never had to show mine. That's ridiculous.

6. Good current rental history that can be verified, excluding a family member.

7. At least 2 years of consistent and current employment that can be verified. - 2 years? Ridiculous.

8. Rent that does not exceed 30% of your gross monthly (combined) income. If you are self-employed we will need your latest tax returns as well as two months' worth of bank statements. No non-resident lease co-signers allowed.

9. Copies of your last two pay stubs submitted with application or provided when paying security deposit.

10. Credit, criminal, and eviction background checks.

11. Application fee of $35 per applicant, non-refundable. Security deposit ($900) required to hold the property. If holding property more than 14 days before lease inception, 1/2 deposit can be made with the balance due with first month's rent. - 900 to hold it!? LoL... I've had them holding mine fore more than 14 days. All I paid was the deposit ( 300 or so ).

12. Up to 2 adult pets (2+ years old) that are house trained and will live inside. $200 pet fee per animal. Must be up to date on vaccinations and neutered. Vet records must be submitted. We do not limit size or breed of dog but they must have no history of aggression. - You forgot to ask for the HIV, genital herpes, and gonorrhea test of your prospective tenant.

I honestly wouldn't rent from you. It just seems unreasonable. Not like there aren't any other places.. I would just move on to the next place. Just doesn't you make look like a welcoming LL, imo.

" I offer great properties at slightly below market competition and have felt this allows me to be selective.".
I bet 99% of the LL's will say the same.. but it's only the truth in 1% of the cases.
Apparently, it has not worked. Time to fix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 03:52 PM

911 posts, read 2,592,685 times
i see alot of people ruling potential renters out that have no credit history.

my landlord almost did this to me, but he saw what kind of person i was when i came to see the apartment and he leased to me. so case by case because you truly can never judge a book by its cover.

being on SSI, section 8 or welfare is recipe for disaster though. they can move from place to place and sometimes get first dibs on $800 a month apartments.......trash it...then move on to the next place that'll take em in because its "sure money"

Old 12-03-2011, 03:58 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,901,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
I honestly wouldn't rent from you. It just seems unreasonable. Not like there aren't any other places.. I would just move on to the next place. Just doesn't you make look like a welcoming LL, imo.

Fine move somewhere else.

" I offer great properties at slightly below market competition and have felt this allows me to be selective.".

I bet 99% of the LL's will say the same.. but it's only the truth in 1% of the cases.

How do you figure? Cite your sources or its all BS.

No one said its not working? The OP just asked for a reality check. Most LL here think what she is looking for is fine. Which means it works in their worlds.

For my other comments, see them above.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:00 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,901,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
i see alot of people ruling potential renters out that have no credit history.

my landlord almost did this to me, but he saw what kind of person i was when i came to see the apartment and he leased to me. so case by case because you truly can never judge a book by its cover.

being on SSI, section 8 or welfare is recipe for disaster though. they can move from place to place and sometimes get first dibs on $800 a month apartments.......trash it...then move on to the next place that'll take em in because its "sure money"
Most landlords will recognize the "no credit history" and can make some adjustments for that, such as larger deposit or co-signer, etc.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:44 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,626,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Most landlords will recognize the "no credit history" and can make some adjustments for that, such as larger deposit or co-signer, etc.
Agree.....I certainly do.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:48 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,039,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Fair Housing violation, never state this as reason with prospects or anyone else.

Relationship and or Marital status cannot be taken into consideration.

Does no#1 mean you would not rent to one adult and 3 children in a 2 bdr?
I don't know about where the OP lives, but in Missouri marital status is not a protected class.

In fact, if you own less than four rental properties, by law the ONLY protected class is race. But that's Missouri, your state may be different.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-03-2011, 04:54 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,626,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post

I guess it is all about local common practice. In my area a month's rent is the typical security deposit for a house. This is a single family house, not an apartment like you probably rent. Since this house has a monthly rent of $900, that is the security deposit. The social security number is part of the criminal history background. My properties are near schools and playgrounds and I won't rent to folks Who are sex offenders. Need social security card as part of the background criminal verifications. Actually, so far my practices have worked but I do think asking for a sanity check is not inappropriate and I am quite willing to make adjustments. So far, being a landlord since 1988 I have never had to do an eviction and my tenants have told me they viewed me as responsive and reasonable.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:02 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,682,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I guess it is all about local common practice. In my area a month's rent is the typical security deposit for a house. This is a single family house, not an apartment like you probably rent. Since this house has a monthly rent of $900, that is the security deposit. The social security number is part of the criminal history background. My properties are near schools and playgrounds and I won't rent to folks Who are sex offenders. Need social security card as part of the background criminal verifications. Actually, so far my practices have worked but I do think asking for a sanity check is not inappropriate and I am quite willing to make adjustments. So far, being a landlord since 1988 I have never had to do an eviction and my tenants have told me they viewed me as responsive and reasonable.
I totally support your desire to do a criminal check
I don't have my SS Card. I would hope my military retired ID with my SSN would be enough for you. OR my passport with my picture and SSN on it. Ontop of that we don't work. We get a lot of Tax free money from the VA and SSDI. I've rented my current house for 7+ years and the one before it for 10. You would lose out on great tenants in our case

Last edited by JennyMominRI; 12-03-2011 at 06:19 PM..

Old 12-03-2011, 06:15 PM

36,988 posts, read 41,002,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
I don't have my SS Card.
You can get a replacement card from the SSA.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:17 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,682,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You can get a replacement card from the SSA.
Well yes, I can. I just haven't needed too. I wouldn't think I would need one to get a rental. I didn't need one to get a passport so I wouldn't expect to need one to get a rental. You have every right to ask for one. I just wouldn't have it. I don't understand why you would rather see my ssn with no picture than my passport or military ID with one. I could have anyone's SS card

I'm buying a house and the appraisal is coming in low. If the deal goes south I'm going to look for a 6 month rental while I find another house. Now that I know I might be asked for my SS card I'll go get one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting