Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 07:30 PM

924 posts, read 2,229,963 times

Advertisements

When I moved into my place 3 years ago, there was a problem with a living room window - the foam holding the frame was worn and the windows shook in the wind, didn't close properly , noise and a cold draft ensued. Quite stressful and I couldn't properly enjoy half the apartment. (It's a 1 bedroom).
I made several verbal requests and finally after no action for 1.5 yrs, I wrote them a registered letter demanding a repair within 10 days or else I was going to contact the rental board.
This produced the desired results.

However fast forward to 2009 - one of my front door locks got jammed and now just one of two works. It's not a very secure door now and once someone even tried to break in. I was home so I foiled it, but still. I don't have renter's insurance because I've read the fine print and they say you have to be able to take inventory of all your possessions and be able to show all your receipts. I'd have to all that in order first.

For the lock, I made verbal requests again, in fact I've asked them 3 times and no action. I am ready to escalate into a written demand (again), however I wonder if a lock repair can be considered an urgent repair whereby a tenant can hire their own locksmith to unjam the lock, make a new key and then include the bill with the next rent check? So let's say the rent is normally $800/month and the locksmith bill is $100. Could I just deduct it from February's rent and write out a check for $700?

Or is it best to go with the registered letter demanding action within 10 days - or else (a promise to seek compensation via the rental board).
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 08:24 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
When I moved into my place 3 years ago, there was a problem with a living room window - the foam holding the frame was worn and the windows shook in the wind, didn't close properly , noise and a cold draft ensued. Quite stressful and I couldn't properly enjoy half the apartment. (It's a 1 bedroom).
I made several verbal requests and finally after no action for 1.5 yrs, I wrote them a registered letter demanding a repair within 10 days or else I was going to contact the rental board.
This produced the desired results.

However fast forward to 2009 - one of my front door locks got jammed and now just one of two works. It's not a very secure door now and once someone even tried to break in. I was home so I foiled it, but still. I don't have renter's insurance because I've read the fine print and they say you have to be able to take inventory of all your possessions and be able to show all your receipts. I'd have to all that in order first.

For the lock, I made verbal requests again, in fact I've asked them 3 times and no action. I am ready to escalate into a written demand (again), however I wonder if a lock repair can be considered an urgent repair whereby a tenant can hire their own locksmith to unjam the lock, make a new key and then include the bill with the next rent check? So let's say the rent is normally $800/month and the locksmith bill is $100. Could I just deduct it from February's rent and write out a check for $700?

Or is it best to go with the registered letter demanding action within 10 days - or else (a promise to seek compensation via the rental board).
Thanks.
I imagine the local Rent Board regulations are you best answer...

In my State... Habitability Issues are spelled out by statute... there is no requirement that a door have two locks... only that doors and window can be locked.

Repair and Deduct is also quite specific... the Landlord must be notified in writing and given a reasonable time to effect repair... reasonable varies... clearly a non-functioning furnace in winter is a problem, whereas it would not be necessarily urgent in the summer.

All I'm saying is to proceed with caution... I'm sure there is a wrong way and a right way to go about this...

I find it most effective when a problem arises is to include a copy of the pertinent regulation with the request... I NEVER send anything Registered since this service is designed for valuables... Generally, a certificate of mailing is sufficient or in rare cases Certified, Return Receipt.

I would not let the time it takes to inventory and document value prevent you from getting Renter's Insurance since it also offers protection should someone be injured as a result of your negligence.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:33 PM

475 posts, read 1,643,713 times
Take the inventory, photos and get renters insurance if you are really concerned about theft. One lock is all that is required by law.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:51 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Since the letter produced immediate results the first time you had problems after verbal requests for one and a half years (!) failed, why are you waiting? Put it in writing now.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:10 AM

278 posts, read 1,519,594 times
I agree with STT Resident, if writing a letter produces results, then do it.

I wouldn't take it upon myself to change the locks if I were you. Most landlords have clauses that say you can't do that.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:52 PM

924 posts, read 2,229,963 times
Hi everyone, thanks for your replies. I just returned from visiting the landlord's administration office in my building and they claimed that they didn't have a key to my top lock which is why they couldn't enter and fix the bottom one. The thing is, both locks are theirs so why wouldn't they have both keys? The clerk then said she thought someone would have contacted me by now.

When looking at the stack of work orders the janitor still had to handle, the clerk then admitted to me that in comparison to heating and plumbing issues, a broken lock was a low priority. Nice, so my security means little to them.
Their latest excuses have all but convinced me it's time to:
-not renew the lease, or perhaps just ask for a short term extension (3-6 months until I find a better place/decide where I'll live)
-write a letter demanding a repair within 14 days
-make copies of the keys just in case they claim they still don't have them

Old 01-15-2010, 04:17 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
How long does it take to write a simple letter and why do you keep procrastinating and trying to solve the problem based on verbal exchanges when a letter did the trick last time around? Just asking.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:28 AM

634 posts, read 1,558,181 times
Default keyless locks and state law

Quote:
Hi everyone, thanks for your replies. I just returned from visiting the landlord's administration office in my building and they claimed that they didn't have a key to my top lock which is why they couldn't enter and fix the bottom one. The thing is, both locks are theirs so why wouldn't they have both keys? The clerk then said she thought someone would have contacted me by now.

When looking at the stack of work orders the janitor still had to handle, the clerk then admitted to me that in comparison to heating and plumbing issues, a broken lock was a low priority. Nice, so my security means little to them.
-not renew the lease, or perhaps just ask for a short term extension (3-6 months until I find a better place/decide where I'll live)
In Texas all rental properties are REQUIRED to have a secure keyless lock and all locks must be in working order. That is part of the Texas Property Code.

What state are you in? Here in Texas the owner has 3 days to respond, if they do not you can move out and have your deposit refunded. This is a safety issue.

Last edited by EllenArlingtonPark; 01-15-2010 at 04:31 AM.. Reason: addl info

Old 01-15-2010, 06:30 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
That's a good question, I've worked in the industry, there are times when the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing. Apartment unit keys are a security issue and thus need be handled accordingly. These duplicate keys are for maintenance issues, and in the event tenants need remakes, lose their keys and emergencies. Both keys may not be available due to maintenance negligence.

Quote:

Last edited by virgode; 01-15-2010 at 06:38 AM..

Old 01-15-2010, 10:10 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenArlingtonPark View Post
In Texas all rental properties are REQUIRED to have a secure keyless lock and all locks must be in working order. That is part of the Texas Property Code.

What state are you in? Here in Texas the owner has 3 days to respond, if they do not you can move out and have your deposit refunded. This is a safety issue.
I own a rental and I have never heard of that...Do you have a link to it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting