Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 01:10 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaitWil View Post
I know everyone keeps saying the LL is creepy, but he really seems very far from a creep. .
"going so far as to say he watched who came in and out of the apartment, and memorized faces"

If you don't think that is creepy more power to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 02:58 PM

110 posts, read 348,299 times
Do NOT sign this lease.
It sounds like you are good tenants. If so, you should have no trouble finding a suitable alternate rental with more reasonable lease terms.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:23 PM

15 posts, read 299,233 times
Just an update.... so we've been scouring the lease and there are more problems than just the "no overnight guests"...

- LL may come and inspect the apartment the first week of EVERY month of the lease. The lease serves as reasonable notice.
This may be a problem as we are supposed to keep the space "neat and clean" but we also want to live our lives in there... we have hobbies, and we get lazy with putting away dirty laundry sometimes just like any human being. Worried that may cause problems.

-tenant is responsible for any and all repairs which cost over $50 (typ lease form said "less than" but LL whited out and wrote "more")

-no mention of the laundry hookups, yard use, and parking space (other than "if a space is assigned") we were told were part of the rental.

The lease is cobbled together from a standard NJ rental lease, and some cut-and-paste bits of possibly typewritten text and handwriting (which is where all of these problems are coming from).
We have a realtor, who put together a new lease that addresses all our concerns, but we're seriously reconsidering at this point.
We'll let the LL review the proposed lease and if he doesn't approve, we're out. If he approves, I'm not sure if we want the apartment still, but we might want to meet and talk it over.
REALLY not sure.

The lease protects the LL completely, and doesn't offer us an ounce of protection or rights in the space anywhere, other than "quiet enjoyment." :/

I know the answer is no, but for some reason I'm hesitating.
We want to see what the LL says, too, I guess.
We've had a long search, and the apartment was the nicest we'd found until we read the lease. Not easy to find nice places in our price range... we might want to wait to see if we get good raises, hah.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:52 PM

110 posts, read 348,299 times
Run. Dont walk. Run away fast!

If you do go ahead and sign, good luck getting your security deposit back at the end of the lease term. By the terms of this lease he has already let you know that he is not particularly interested in being reasonable. Or sane.

Seriously, I would let this guy and his lovely apartment be someone else's problem.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:30 PM

103 posts, read 366,376 times
Quote:
Just an update.... so we've been scouring the lease and there are more problems than just the "no overnight guests"...

- LL may come and inspect the apartment the first week of EVERY month of the lease. The lease serves as reasonable notice.
This may be a problem as we are supposed to keep the space "neat and clean" but we also want to live our lives in there... we have hobbies, and we get lazy with putting away dirty laundry sometimes just like any human being. Worried that may cause problems.

-tenant is responsible for any and all repairs which cost over $50 (typ lease form said "less than" but LL whited out and wrote "more")

-no mention of the laundry hookups, yard use, and parking space (other than "if a space is assigned") we were told were part of the rental.

The lease is cobbled together from a standard NJ rental lease, and some cut-and-paste bits of possibly typewritten text and handwriting (which is where all of these problems are coming from).
We have a realtor, who put together a new lease that addresses all our concerns, but we're seriously reconsidering at this point.
We'll let the LL review the proposed lease and if he doesn't approve, we're out. If he approves, I'm not sure if we want the apartment still, but we might want to meet and talk it over.
REALLY not sure.

The lease protects the LL completely, and doesn't offer us an ounce of protection or rights in the space anywhere, other than "quiet enjoyment." :/

I know the answer is no, but for some reason I'm hesitating.
We want to see what the LL says, too, I guess.
We've had a long search, and the apartment was the nicest we'd found until we read the lease. Not easy to find nice places in our price range... we might want to wait to see if we get good raises, hah.
Oh Hell NO Way!!

Old 12-08-2011, 05:42 PM

242 posts, read 235,695 times
your landlord is a moron, if you're paying the rent it's none of his business who does or does stay overnight in ur apartment.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:49 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
After reading your update I can't help but say, RUN LIKE THE WIND AND DON'T LOOK BACK!

That lease is over the top and you guys can find something else without all the ll trouble.

Good luck and keep us posted

Old 12-08-2011, 07:19 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
I know the answer is no, but for some reason I'm hesitating . . .
Wow, you must be some kind of glutton for punishment. Avoid this place like it's an STD because it sounds like a high probability you'll have issues that are just as unpleasant.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:37 PM

584 posts, read 1,936,145 times
yes something is wrong with this man. he will probably search you place when your out.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:46 PM

15 posts, read 299,233 times
We said "NO THANK YOU" to this particular apartment; maybe it's time to take an apartment-hunting break and enjoy our holidays.

Thank you for all the advice and opinions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting