Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 08:10 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I've never done anything but negotiate and never paid the price listed.

Your leverage is a little pre-negotiation intel.

First, drive by the place at different hours of the day and night, and yes that means getting off of your ass at 1 AM or 2 AM on both a week-night and weekend night to have a look/see.

I drove by at 2 AM on a school night one time and saw a bunch of low-life scum hanging around and small children running about. Not a place you want to live.

Next, talk to the neighbors and ask how long a unit or units have been vacant. The longer they have been vacant, the greater your negotiating leverage.

Some markets have high vacancy rates and you can take advantage of that. Landlords only make money if people are paying rent, and if units are vacant then no one is paying rent.

As a landlord, it comes down to this: you ain't making money, and you can drop the rent to $400 or $375 per month from $450 and have something, or continue to collect absolutely nothing very slowly.

See? It ain't rocket science.

Another thing that works for hard sells is cash up front.

Now, I'm not your typical American that would rather die instead of throwing away every penny they make plus burn up all of their credit to buy useless nonsense to satisfy infantile urges to live The Extravagant American Life-Style™, so I always have lots of cash on hand.

6 months rent up front, in cash, yeah, baby.

Rent is $500, I'll give you $2,400 up front, 6 months rent at $400, take it or leave it.

That works and 12 months cash up front works even better.

I'll also say that if you do stuff like that, then you need to keep your festering gob shut.

Rubbing it into the faces of other tenants that you pay less is not good business for you.

Invariably, someone will feel that they've been discriminated against because they aren't sure what gender they are or something like that and file a Fair Housing Act complaint and then the landlord and everyone, including you ends up getting the short end of the stick, because you pay less that the other tenants "and that is not fair."

So, keep your business to yourself and enjoy your savings.
From his mouth to your ears...

I can say this with some authority...

The only thing I'll add is some, not most by any means, have the thought process of not allowing squalor to enter into their communities in a feeble attempt to stop criminals and other not accepted prospects into the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 08:15 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Generally not a good policy for either party and one which, in my experience, is shared by many real estate attorneys.
Some management companies won't take that much up front for the simple reason that when you renew they want to be able to bring you up to market rate.

I wouldn't take that much up front.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:02 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
As a landlord, it comes down to this: you ain't making money, and you can drop the rent to $400 or $375 per month from $450 and have something, or continue to collect absolutely nothing very slowly.

See? It ain't rocket science.

Another thing that works for hard sells is cash up front.

Now, I'm not your typical American that would rather die instead of throwing away every penny they make plus burn up all of their credit to buy useless nonsense to satisfy infantile urges to live The Extravagant American Life-Style™, so I always have lots of cash on hand.

6 months rent up front, in cash, yeah, baby.

Rent is $500, I'll give you $2,400 up front, 6 months rent at $400, take it or leave it.

That works and 12 months cash up front works even better.
You have got to be kidding me.

You don't want it at the advertised price? Get out of the way to make room for the next applicants in line who will take it in a heartbeat.

I don't negotiate with potential tenants. If you can't afford it, go find a slum to live in.

Anyone who wants to pay cash up front for several months in advance is likely to be a crook. And I'd rather leave the place empty then get a low life, it's a LOT less expensive. That isn't rocket science.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:33 AM

912 posts, read 5,261,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Anyone who wants to pay cash up front for several months in advance is likely to be a crook. And I'd rather leave the place empty then get a low life, it's a LOT less expensive. That isn't rocket science.
You put things in a very harsh way, but thats not to say that you make some excellent points.

Also, I would never take rent in advance. Its makes things horribly complicated if you have to evict during the time that the pre-payments apply towards.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:31 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,097,668 times
As a LL..Cash up front doesn't work for me either. It just makes me wonder what business the tenant is into that he's got all this cash laying around.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:44 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,649,653 times
As a landlord, I don't negotiate with prospective tenants. You can look great on paper and end up a horrible tenant. I set a reasonable price based on comps in the area. I keep my properties clean and kept up during tenancy. If you can not afford my set rent, then you best move on. I did not invest my hard earned money in properties only to subsidize tenants. I have bills to pay too in regards to these properties. And I certainly would not be swayed by someone offering up cash advance rent payments, something I would never accept.

I have tenants who have been with me for 10 years. They stay because I am fair and do not gouge them. I keep in mind how long they have been tenants and how they keep up the property, when and if I decide to increase rent. If a situation occurred with a good long-term tenant, I might work with them. But for a new tenant coming in, nope.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:04 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,517,433 times
Had to come post. ACTUAL phone call I just got, from the For Rent sign in front of the house. PT is potential tenant.

Me: Hello?
PT: I'm calling about the house you have for rent?
Me: Yes?
PT: Will you take less then $850?
Me: No.
PT: No?
Me: No. Why would I do that?
PT: Ummm ok, bye.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:48 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
Had to come post. ACTUAL phone call I just got, from the For Rent sign in front of the house. PT is potential tenant.

Me: Hello?
PT: I'm calling about the house you have for rent?
Me: Yes?
PT: Will you take less then $850?
Me: No.
PT: No?
Me: No. Why would I do that?
PT: Ummm ok, bye.
What's wrong with that phone call. Right to the point! Nothing comes of wasting each others time.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:38 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,517,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
What's wrong with that phone call. Right to the point! Nothing comes of wasting each others time.

I suppose if you want to look at it that way. If it were me and I couldn't afford that I wouldn't call. If it were someone with stellar credit and history who was negotiating lower rent, I would hope the question would come after having proved that. I might look at the request more favorably with a good chance I'd get a good tenant.

I still don't know why ANY landlord would say yes right off an initial phone call. I think its silly for a tenant to ask like that. They don't even know the extent of the upgrades, the amenities or anything about the house, its simply to expensive for them. Again, if it were me, I wouldn't ask.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:50 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Prepaid rent to us is nothing because under our state law, a tenant can ask for a refund of any unused prepaid rent at anytime. legally we can collect the first months and last month (but last mionth isi just that the last month rent on the current lease) so anything paid above the amount due is refundable at the tenant's descretion. I bet many LL who take prepaid rent really have no idea what their state law says about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting