Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2015, 09:19 PM

1 posts, read 798 times

Advertisements

Alright so first off, we have not moved into the new house yet. here is the rest of the story...

My wife and I signed a lease on 8/1/2015 for a new house as the current house we are in is about to expire and we wanted a new house. So we where scheduled to move into our new house 8/10/2015.

On 8/4/2015, My wife broke her Ankle and now it looks like she will not be able to return to work for 8-12 weeks. She only has enough PTO for around 4 weeks so we will be financially struggling for the next few months and feel as though we will not be able to pay rent on the new house.

So we have not even moved in yet, we signed the lease, gave the prorated rent of $1450 and have not paid the deposit yet. I need to call and explain everything that has happened with our new landlords but I wanted to see if there was anything we could say or do?

I'm going to tell them everything that has happened over the past two weeks and hope they are understandable. If we end up losing the $1450, I guess that is life but maybe they will take pity on us.

With that said, we feel as though we might end up moving in with friends or family until things get back to normal.

What would you say or do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 01:07 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Disability insuranxe? Not take on debt/rent that you can't afford on one paycheck? Have an emergency fund equal to 6 months expenses?

Okay, that's hindsight. But things to consider for the future. At this point, you've got nothing to lose by talking to the new landlord. If they find a new tenant to move in, maybe they'll send some of your mobey back. Or maybe you can drop the cable tv, Netflix and eat rice and beans for a few montgs and still move.

btw, is your current place STILL available or has the LL found a new renant?

Old 08-12-2015, 01:23 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,233,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faceplant View Post
Alright so first off, we have not moved into the new house yet. here is the rest of the story...

My wife and I signed a lease on 8/1/2015 for a new house as the current house we are in is about to expire and we wanted a new house. So we where scheduled to move into our new house 8/10/2015.

On 8/4/2015, My wife broke her Ankle and now it looks like she will not be able to return to work for 8-12 weeks. She only has enough PTO for around 4 weeks so we will be financially struggling for the next few months and feel as though we will not be able to pay rent on the new house.

So we have not even moved in yet, we signed the lease, gave the prorated rent of $1450 and have not paid the deposit yet. I need to call and explain everything that has happened with our new landlords but I wanted to see if there was anything we could say or do?

I'm going to tell them everything that has happened over the past two weeks and hope they are understandable. If we end up losing the $1450, I guess that is life but maybe they will take pity on us.

With that said, we feel as though we might end up moving in with friends or family until things get back to normal.

What would you say or do?
You have a legally binding agreement with the landlord so for starters I would make sure I understood the early lease termination clause forward and back. Secondly, I would familiarize myself with state laws that govern this kind of thing, does the landlord have to mitigate losses? Once you do those two things come back here and post what they say and we could give you further advice if you need it.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:24 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,009,123 times
First I'd check the wife's short term disability. I'm dealing with a wrist surgery after injury right now and was pleasantly surprised to learn how good my company std is. If the money is still an issue I would talk to the LL before panicking.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:01 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Did your wife break her ankle at work? If yes, see about Workers Comp insurance which should pay 2/3 of wages in most states.

If it wasn't a work injury, as others said, check if she has short term disability insurance at work. Some companies pay this outright for employees and she might not realize she has it. Other companies offer it as an 'add on' where the employee pays monthly for it, but it's optional.

Your new landlord might not let you off the hook as easy as you hope. Unless there are a bunch of other renters ready to move in asap. But seeing that you should have moved in 2 days ago, seems you already owe some money for the days since no other renter could possibly live there now since you are in current lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting