Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 09:28 AM

241 posts, read 792,848 times

Advertisements

Well, I can see this thread is about to go way off topic. I really was only interested in the opinions of landlords regarding the e-cig. To Bentlebee: my response to your first reply was mainly based on the fact that you said you knew nothing about them, but would not allow them. At least Squirl stated that he would have to research them before making a decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 02:21 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraydnerv View Post
I've been smoking electronic cigarettes for a little over 2yrs now. They contain nicotine and propylene glycol or glycerin. They produce a "mist" which is similar in appearance to the smoke of a cigarette. There is no heat or smell to them. I would like to hear from landlords if they would allow these if their rental is no-smoking. Just in case anyone is wondering, I can definitely tell the difference in my breathing and generally feel better since I starting using these. I was a pack a day or more smoker for over 30yrs.
From what I read about it here Electronic cigarette - Wiki both technically and literally it is not "smoking" even though it mimics the actions of smoking a cigarette. So there doesn't seem to be much reason to ban the use. I can't see how it is harmful to the rental property as all of the vapor is delivered into the lungs of the user. I doubt that a landlord would have much of a legal leg to stand on if he tried to evict someone for "smoking" one of these devices.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,240 times
I vape, and have been off cigarettes for a while. sas0814, vapers are unlikely to relapse to smoking. Personally I think cigs smell bad. I used to have the occasional cigar after vaping but they smell and taste bad to me now, just like cigarettes. Regardless... When I smoked and now that I don't, smoking has always been outside only, and vaping inside as there is no burning, no particulates, no carcinogens, etc. so there is nothing harmful or that will linger. Depending on flavor, you might smell cinammon, apple, cola, or wahtever flavor you are vaping... But it's not strong and does not linger or stick to anything.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:38 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraydnerv View Post
Well, I can see this thread is about to go way off topic. I really was only interested in the opinions of landlords regarding the e-cig. To Bentlebee: my response to your first reply was mainly based on the fact that you said you knew nothing about them, but would not allow them. At least Squirl stated that he would have to research them before making a decision.
My statement is coming from the fact that there is a fine line and sooner than later people will call almost everything an e-cig....and I smell lawsuits...lol

BUT in the end as a property manager we have no clue what people do inside a home but if it really smells like cig. smoke and the interior walls are dis colored due to that than we will charge...smell is something that is hard to use in court but pictures tell a lot and sometimes we even find cig. butts in the house after tenants have left...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting