Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 04:59 AM

241 posts, read 790,446 times

Advertisements

I've been smoking electronic cigarettes for a little over 2yrs now. They contain nicotine and propylene glycol or glycerin. They produce a "mist" which is similar in appearance to the smoke of a cigarette. There is no heat or smell to them. I would like to hear from landlords if they would allow these if their rental is no-smoking. Just in case anyone is wondering, I can definitely tell the difference in my breathing and generally feel better since I starting using these. I was a pack a day or more smoker for over 30yrs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 07:39 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,464,851 times
I can't see that any LL would have an issue with them since they're completely odorless. No nasty smoke blowing around and sticking to the drapes and upholstery, no burns on furnishings, no effect on others in close proximity. I'd be most curious to hear why any LL would object to their use.

PS: What brand are you using? I purchased some online which are worse than useless. I have quit smoking but once in a while would enjoy that familiar routine without the side effects. If stating the brand is against TOS maybe you could throw me a quick DM with the info? Thanks.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:30 PM

831 posts, read 2,818,053 times
Shouldn't be a problem for a LL, but i'm pretty sure they were not intended to be used for over 2 years. You should weaned off by now, continuing to use them may cause a relapse.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
Shouldn't be a problem for a LL, but i'm pretty sure they were not intended to be used for over 2 years. You should weaned off by now, continuing to use them may cause a relapse.
You obviously know nothing about e-cigs.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:47 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,557,818 times
I don't know anything about electronic cigarettes but I would not allow any cigarettes just to avoid any issues....you never know what will be next and what is than considered smoking or not. so to me anything thats smoked like cigarettes is a NO. Just to keep it simple.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I don't know anything about electronic cigarettes but I would not allow any cigarettes just to avoid any issues....you never know what will be next and what is than considered smoking or not. so to me anything thats smoked like cigarettes is a NO. Just to keep it simple.
Interesting. Rigid, but interesting.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:14 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,611,491 times
I would have to research before making a decision. It is my intent that anyone who leases a property of mine should have full enjoyment of the residence as long as their lifestyle doesn't impact my investment in a negative way. Since I know nothing about e-cigs, I would have to read up on them and if they truly didn't have an effect on the home then I'd have no problem with them being used inside.

Old 12-24-2011, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I would have to research before making a decision. It is my intent that anyone who leases a property of mine should have full enjoyment of the residence as long as their lifestyle doesn't impact my investment in a negative way. Since I know nothing about e-cigs, I would have to read up on them and if they truly didn't have an effect on the home then I'd have no problem with them being used inside.
Fair and reasonable (didn't want people to think I only comment on the negative, lol)

Old 12-24-2011, 07:20 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,557,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraydnerv View Post
Interesting. Rigid, but interesting.
The next step might be that people say "I need medical marijuana and therefore I should be allowed to smoke inside the home"...

To me it is easier to say "Nothing that has to do with any cigarettes, etc" hust to avoid the next discussion...

Nowadays you have people who have "guide dogs", "service dogs", "companion dogs"...according to owners....

And we have to separate the ones that are really needed and their owners don't need to pay non-refundable pet fees, but nowadays they try everything to get a Pitbbull in as a companion dog...lol

Even nowadays a Pittbul is a Labrador when they move in but upon shoing their is Labrador....so i expect the same with the electric cigarette...they will show it and you say yes and sooner than later you have a dispute about smoking.

Just my point of view as a property manager and dealing with many tenants and keeping it simple.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:34 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,611,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
The next step might be that people say "I need medical marijuana and therefore I should be allowed to smoke inside the home"...

To me it is easier to say "Nothing that has to do with any cigarettes, etc" hust to avoid the next discussion...

Nowadays you have people who have "guide dogs", "service dogs", "companion dogs"...according to owners....

And we have to separate the ones that are really needed and their owners don't need to pay non-refundable pet fees, but nowadays they try everything to get a Pitbbull in as a companion dog...lol

Even nowadays a Pittbul is a Labrador when they move in but upon shoing their is Labrador....so i expect the same with the electric cigarette...they will show it and you say yes and sooner than later you have a dispute about smoking.

Just my point of view as a property manager and dealing with many tenants and keeping it simple.
since my properties are individual condos, townhouses or single family homes I don't put a breed restriction on dogs. They have to be adult, neutered dogs and I need to get a copy of their vaccination records. I stipulate that I must meet the dog and they cannot have a history of aggression. I do phone the vet to verify and I meet the dog. If I were managing multiple properties where my tenants shared the same location, I would probably have to be more rigid....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting