Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2020, 06:05 PM

234 posts, read 227,665 times

Advertisements

Money is the only way to get out of a bad apartment situation. Get an upper floor and then you end up unintentionally becoming the nightmare of the tenant below you. I'm glad I'm on the bottom floor and have noise management tools that work well with stompers.

I'd probably have more anxiety living above someone knowing that I have to walk on egg shells in a poorly constructed apartment complex that was built in the early 80's.

It's just a no-win situation unless you move to a solid apartment complex with good noise insulation. Then everyone can be happy in their own living abodes.

I would not be able to do my regular exercises of burpees if I lived above someone. If you know what burpees are then you see why they would be out of the picture. Fortunately I never receive noise complaints about me given that I live on the bottom floor. I'm able to do all of my exercises in peace. Jump around as much as I want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2020, 06:35 AM

1 posts, read 3,359 times
Mental Illness is prevalent in the US, as is drug abuse. Some people do attempt to harass and monitor their neighbors. There is without question equipment to do so. More than likely if you live in an apt and someone is "spying on you" they have some type of mental condition. My neighbors upstairs are nut jobs, they will bang on walls at all times of the day and night, drop heavy items, if they hear my music or tv they will stand above it and do stomping exercises for hours. I've had them go at it all night and day. It is an issue of harassment which violates their lease and an invasion of privacy both of which are illegal. You have a right to quietude and peaceful dwelling implied in your lease.
The world is a crazy place. For myself, it has been going on for about 2 1/2 years since I moved in. I just thought they were nosy and loud. I am not noise sensitive, I have lived in the city my entire life. One night I was awakened from a dead sleep by loud banging above my bed and banged back with a stream of cuss words and insults. After this it became 24 hours a day, nonstop or at least when I was home and all night. Absolute insanity, purposeful and crazy. Banging on the walls, dragging furniture, dropping things, slamming cupboards, you name it. In older apartments the layouts are the same sometimes, if you make some noise, like closing your blinds, flushing a toilet, washing dishes, your neighbor can hear you and know where you are. If they care then they have some serious issues.
I respect peoples privacy but they did not respect mine, and kind of realized they were harassing me intentionally. At this point it upset me that these fools wanted to insert themselves in to my life and my residence without my consent and act like 5 year old autistic unsupervised children on meth. Seriously that is how bad it got. As I mentioned, when it became constant, I contacted my apartment manager with a long letter detailing the offenses. The noise dropped suddenly but not completely, if I made any noise they would still drop things above me, drag furniture, but at night they became quiet as church mice, basically from 10 pm to the early morning. They are not smart people or value where they live, if so they wouldn't behave in such a manner and run risk of eviction over their behavior. Harassment and invasion of privacy are illegal and lease violations, I pointed this out to my landlord/apt manager and it was probably relayed. I was also lucky they took my complaint seriously. I live in a large apt building, I have never interacted with these people, they are complete strangers.
Clearly they are complete nut jobs. I see them as cowards, I do not feel threatened. Whenever I am home they attempt to monitor my actions or let me know they are listening. I bought a fan I keep running 24 hours a day, it is cheap to run it and drowns out sound. I keep music going all the time even when I am not here. They can only guess what I am doing or where I am and if they want to spend their lives doing something so petty and ridiculous they can have fun with that. Sure, there are spy cams, amplified hearing devices , etc. and some can be attained cheaply. But people are creatures of habit, if you are their source of entertainment or derision they know your behaviors and probably enjoy trying to harass you. I do not respond to their behaviors but I document it. Record the noise , keep records, have evidence. If they want to get themselves evicted I am all for it. Do not feel threatened or intimidated. If they are still able to monitor you after flooding your place with constant sound and you change up your routines in your home, chances are they might have listening devices or some type of camera installed. It sounds crazy, but there is a huge market for such things and plenty of cases where such as happened. Google it. Far more common than you think. Don't assume such is the case unless you have proof or it becomes evident. It is easy to go off the deep end, keep your sanity and go about your affairs. Learn to ignore them. Don't play cat and mouse. Chances are more than likely that is what they want.
I am not moving anywhere, I live in a great area, love my apartment and there is no reason to let the mental problems of a stranger determine my life or where I choose to live. To me that is ludicrous. No one determines how I live but myself. Their behavior is probably due to drugs or mental illness but ultimately it is cowardly and illegal and could get them evicted. They'll more likely have to move just by what they are doing. Don't go to war, go about your life , drown it out, make it hard for them to try and monitor or harass you and live your life and be happy. Realize in todays world your supposed right to privacy is long gone and there's a good chance you cross paths with nut jobs where you live or in your every day life. Live your own life and be happy, you owe it to yourself.

Last edited by 206in it; 11-21-2020 at 07:39 AM..

Old 11-21-2020, 08:09 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 206in it View Post
Mental Illness is prevalent in the US, as is drug abuse. Some people do attempt to harass and monitor their neighbors. There is without question equipment to do so. More than likely if you live in an apt and someone is "spying on you" they have some type of mental condition. My neighbors upstairs are nut jobs, they will bang on walls at all times of the day and night, drop heavy items, if they hear my music or tv they will stand above it and do stomping exercises for hours. I've had them go at it all night and day. It is an issue of harassment which violates their lease and an invasion of privacy both of which are illegal. You have a right to quietude and peaceful dwelling implied in your lease.
The world is a crazy place. For myself, it has been going on for about 2 1/2 years since I moved in. I just thought they were nosy and loud. I am not noise sensitive, I have lived in the city my entire life. One night I was awakened from a dead sleep by loud banging above my bed and banged back with a stream of cuss words and insults. After this it became 24 hours a day, nonstop or at least when I was home and all night. Absolute insanity, purposeful and crazy. Banging on the walls, dragging furniture, dropping things, slamming cupboards, you name it. In older apartments the layouts are the same sometimes, if you make some noise, like closing your blinds, flushing a toilet, washing dishes, your neighbor can hear you and know where you are. If they care then they have some serious issues.
I respect peoples privacy but they did not respect mine, and kind of realized they were harassing me intentionally. At this point it upset me that these fools wanted to insert themselves in to my life and my residence without my consent and act like 5 year old autistic unsupervised children on meth. Seriously that is how bad it got. As I mentioned, when it became constant, I contacted my apartment manager with a long letter detailing the offenses. The noise dropped suddenly but not completely, if I made any noise they would still drop things above me, drag furniture, but at night they became quiet as church mice, basically from 10 pm to the early morning. They are not smart people or value where they live, if so they wouldn't behave in such a manner and run risk of eviction over their behavior. Harassment and invasion of privacy are illegal and lease violations, I pointed this out to my landlord/apt manager and it was probably relayed. I was also lucky they took my complaint seriously. I live in a large apt building, I have never interacted with these people, they are complete strangers.
Clearly they are complete nut jobs. I see them as cowards, I do not feel threatened. Whenever I am home they attempt to monitor my actions or let me know they are listening. I bought a fan I keep running 24 hours a day, it is cheap to run it and drowns out sound. I keep music going all the time even when I am not here. They can only guess what I am doing or where I am and if they want to spend their lives doing something so petty and ridiculous they can have fun with that. Sure, there are spy cams, amplified hearing devices , etc. and some can be attained cheaply. But people are creatures of habit, if you are their source of entertainment or derision they know your behaviors and probably enjoy trying to harass you. I do not respond to their behaviors but I document it. Record the noise , keep records, have evidence. If they want to get themselves evicted I am all for it. Do not feel threatened or intimidated. If they are still able to monitor you after flooding your place with constant sound and you change up your routines in your home, chances are they might have listening devices or some type of camera installed. It sounds crazy, but there is a huge market for such things and plenty of cases where such as happened. Google it. Far more common than you think. Don't assume such is the case unless you have proof or it becomes evident. It is easy to go off the deep end, keep your sanity and go about your affairs. Learn to ignore them. Don't play cat and mouse. Chances are more than likely that is what they want.
I am not moving anywhere, I live in a great area, love my apartment and there is no reason to let the mental problems of a stranger determine my life or where I choose to live. To me that is ludicrous. No one determines how I live but myself. Their behavior is probably due to drugs or mental illness but ultimately it is cowardly and illegal and could get them evicted. They'll more likely have to move just by what they are doing. Don't go to war, go about your life , drown it out, make it hard for them to try and monitor or harass you and live your life and be happy. Realize in todays world your supposed right to privacy is long gone and there's a good chance you cross paths with nut jobs where you live or in your every day life. Live your own life and be happy, you owe it to yourself.
You want to know what’s not prevalent in the U.S.? The use the paragraphs and correct grammar.

Old 11-21-2020, 08:40 AM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
You want to know what’s not prevalent in the U.S.? The use the paragraphs and correct grammar.
Your posting is a prime example of exactly what you're complaining about.

And your previous postings are bitter put-downs of people complaining about bitter neighbors.

C'est ironique, n'est-ce pas?

Old 11-22-2020, 09:50 AM

2,954 posts, read 1,410,761 times
I just wanted to chime in, even if you live in a single family home, if close to your neighbors, you STILL might be aggravated by their noise and spying on you. So it's not just apartment living.

Old 03-17-2021, 03:39 AM

666 posts, read 642,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post

And your previous postings are bitter put-downs of people complaining about bitter neighbors.

Things will go a lot more smoothly for all in this forum if we all put a certain known troll on ignore, friend. I'll never look back.

Just wanted to check in on my folks here, thinking this problem has become a lot more prevalent with many working from home and all that due to the Covid virus? My neighbor thought he was having an issue and even found holes drilled that appeared to be used for snaking recording devices through. We filled the holes and look at that, the bad neighbor gave notice to move out within weeks. But tell me this isn't real.

Old 03-18-2021, 05:14 PM

9,838 posts, read 4,623,002 times
In apartments or old houses floors make a lot of noise because they get the most wear and least maintenance. They wood dries out creating wood that moves, bends, bows etc transmitting noise. Also things shift. Just walking will create enough noise on some floors to determine every step/location a neighbor makes.

New big screen and speaker technology make even more noise that will travel through walls and floors.

Shine a light on every hole, crack or opening no matter how small to check for a camera, look for reflections since camera's need a lense.

More than likely it's the noise coming out of your unit ie creeky floors, uninsulated walls allow for drawers and doors to be heard from neighboring apartment.

Old 03-20-2021, 09:20 PM

234 posts, read 227,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post

We have the ability to ignore users on this site. I learned the value of this feature at the very start. Save yourself a few headaches and use it generously.

Old 04-13-2021, 12:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,049 times
first, I want to say how grateful I am to the people who have posted here, I am going through the exact same thing. it is so hard to explain to anyone what is going on. in my case, the people in question are my former neighbours -- I moved because they were harassing me. They have stalked me now across three moves. They make loud comments about what I am doing, and keep me from falling asleep by pounding on the ceiling right above my head. when I wake up in the morning, same thing. they follow me room to room, and pound on the ceiling to let me know they know where I am. when I'm in the bathroom, they scream my name from the upstairs bathroom window when I am cleaning specific parts of my body. they cheer when I take my clothes off, as if to let me know they can see what I am doing. whenever I am trying to focus on something, like work, they try and distract me. I would be grateful to anyone who could please share how they have been coping with the knowledge that they are being watched, and how to ignore them when they try to let you know they can see you? it has become really hard for me to focus, to engage in life normally

Old 04-13-2021, 10:58 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Well, anc, if people are following you around from place to place and always living right over your head, rent a single family house. Then no one can live over your head.

They will have to stand on the sidewalk and harass you and then if they are standing there shouting and using binoculars, you have something you can call the police on them for and get them arrested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting