U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 05:58 AM

24,669 posts, read 67,081,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
OP. It sounds to me like you live your life just looking for somebody to do something "unjust" to you.
I wouldn't go that far but ... And yes, OP, I have been burglarized; yes, I do know women who have been raped; and yes, I had a friend shot and killed in front of me. I am well aware that bad things happen but I also don't walk around looking for a bogeyman behind every door.

As mentioned before you need to put these concerns in writing to the landlord via return receipt certified mail before going any further. You can verify this information by reading your state landlord tenant laws so that you are fully aware of your state laws concerning locks and keys, maintenance visits, etc. Starting at Step 1 and progressing from there is infinitely easier and less wasteful of time than starting at Step 5 and having to backtrack.

It would also be helpful when updating this thread if you left out the experiences you had at your other apartment. Intermingling the two is confusing. Good luck.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 06:22 PM

8 posts, read 33,002 times
I went to the police station yesterday. The officers said that I should get a lawyer and should be able to get out of my lease. I have their names and badge numbers so if the situation worsens I'll be able to note who I talked to when I went in. I also got the name of the Time Warner worker. I tried a couple lawyers today but the offices were closed so I'll be trying again on Monday. I'll keep you all updated.

Side note: it's amazing to me that my not being okay with men entering my apartment without permission is being compared to the boogeyman. At the very least it's uncomfortable to think that someone could come in while I'm sleeping or undressed. At the very worst, I don't want to be the victim of a crime that could have been prevented. Plain and simple. I take precautions in my day to day life (i.e. not getting into cars with strangers) because personally I believe that's part of taking care of yourself. I don't live my life in a constant state of fear but I do what I can to prevent potential bad situations from happening. Because if I didn't and something awful happened, I would partially have myself to blame.

Bentlbee, the incident with the baby moving in I wasn't planning to try and use legally. Just found it interesting that he would lie to my face. Apparently he also lied to the Time Warner guys and told them that I knew they were coming and had okayed it (one told me today). I was just using the example to give a general idea of his character (i.e. that his actions aren't accidental), but in reality it's irrelevant to my trying to get out of the lease.

Thanks for the info NY Annie!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting