Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 08:47 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Are you serious? IPads cost a fortune, and they couldn't pay you your rent?? I would be livid. You have felt so guilty, and torn and worried about them. I hope that is over, and that you just do what you have to do now. I would see if you can put liens on any of the vehicles, something to secure your judgment. Ask your attorney, who's fees have got to be a small fortune by now....Thanks to these tenants. The company is forced legally to garnish. And, tax time is coming, when you speak to your attorney, ask how to put a lien on his taxes. Get your judgment amended to include garnishment, or other resources, like his bank account.
I would be livid too, but that seems to be the new standards for dead beats...have Internet, buy movies, alcohol, go out and blame the LL for everything that goes wrong in their life and it is never their fault.

How can you think that an IPAD will not be bought but rent will be paid

Many home owners are doing the same...stop paying their mortgage, stop paying HOA fees, but keep paying to have Internet, buy cars, etc...but not money they signed a contract for, but let others pay for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 08:54 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I would be livid too, but that seems to be the new standards for dead beats...have Internet, buy movies, alcohol, go out and blame the LL for everything that goes wrong in their life and it is never their fault.

How can you think that an IPAD will not be bought but rent will be paid

Many home owners are doing the same...stop paying their mortgage, stop paying HOA fees, but keep paying to have Internet, buy cars, etc...but not money they signed a contract for, but let others pay for you
There are, sadly, too many people who think that way. There's a woman in my church. I don't know her whole story and I don't want to, but for some reason she is not allowed to live in the same place where her teenage children live (red flag right there) and so she was saying she was going to have to sleep in her truck because she has no money to rent an apartment. I knew she was dropping hints because my daughter is at school overseas and so she figures I have an unoccupied bedroom. I would not take the bait. In the next conversation this same woman is showing me her online-dating-site "matches" on her $400 phone.

Last I heard she's living with a sister. She can afford a fancy phone that I would never spend money on and she's looking to live off of other people. Nice.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:05 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,923,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I could be wrong, but an unpaid judgement for personal debt isn't met with jail time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You're not wrong. There are no debtors prisons in the US.
You are both correct. And it's important to note that the defendant in these cases wasn't jailed for the debt, they were jailed for contempt. I'm not going to post the specifics here because I feel that it's an abusive exploitation of our judicial process. The general idea is that the plaintiff wins a judgement, the defendant fails to pay, the plaintiff complains to the court, the court orders payments, the defendant still fails to pay, and the defendant is arrested for contempt. Coincidentally, the bail is often set to the amount of the debt.

In jail for being in debt | StarTribune.com

It can and does happen. It's rare, but increasing in frequency in several states. This is why you never, ever, under any circumstances, ignore a demand for payment, no matter how right you are or how wrong they are.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:09 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There are, sadly, too many people who think that way. There's a woman in my church. I don't know her whole story and I don't want to, but for some reason she is not allowed to live in the same place where her teenage children live (red flag right there) and so she was saying she was going to have to sleep in her truck because she has no money to rent an apartment. I knew she was dropping hints because my daughter is at school overseas and so she figures I have an unoccupied bedroom. I would not take the bait. In the next conversation this same woman is showing me her online-dating-site "matches" on her $400 phone.

Last I heard she's living with a sister. She can afford a fancy phone that I would never spend money on and she's looking to live off of other people. Nice.
That's like how a lot of homeless people live...making more than minimum wages just by making some statement on a sign...

Here in Florida we have so many and if you check the sex offender list than you will be shocked...I guess warm Fl nights are better...many of them have nice clothes or shoes and the worst looking are mostly wasting it on drugs and alcohol..." funny" to see them later talking on a phone that I expect a homeless person can't afford.

With the $400 phone come the monthly bill...since she had Internet on her phone that means like a t least a $ 25 monthly bill...

Old 01-08-2012, 10:03 AM

27 posts, read 40,310 times
Again...thanks everyone!

This has been a true financial upheaval for us as we didn't expect to have to pay mortgage (on the house we rented out) + rent (we have a rental house we are living in) for the past 3 months...but guess what?

We have (by the grace of God) come up with the money every month to pay ALL of our bills...nothing has been late. (I was a stay at home mom...but have since restarted my Ebay business and will soon be working outside of the house).

It was OUR decision to move to another state and to rent the house out and we REFUSE to get behind on anything and jeopardize our financial well being because of someone's else's irresponsibility.

It has been tough and we have had to make sacrifices ~ but my kids are happy & healthy, I have a loving husband, we have a roof over our heads, food on the table and clothes on our back.

I will continue to update this as I have more info (I just hate the threads that have no conclusion )

Again...thanks for listening to me vent.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:28 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Happy that you are surviving. But, what has happened w/ regards to your thread? Are the folks out?

Old 01-08-2012, 09:15 PM

27 posts, read 40,310 times
JanND ~ not yet

They have not been able to serve them...1st attempt was Friday and now they need to do a 2nd attempt ~ if they are not home this time they will do a "Nail & Mail" where they post the notice to their door and then mail it to them...THEN the 72 hours starts...

So...I am in "wait" mode right now!

Old 01-09-2012, 04:11 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Ota~ That bites! I have a feeling they are avoiding service. Unless they already bailed?? Will you get called, or notified the moment they are served, so your close-up team can get started?? Lots of hastle. Hope you start re-coop your money soon...or are you ready to sell now?

Old 01-09-2012, 05:46 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ota Blue View Post
JanND ~ not yet

They have not been able to serve them...1st attempt was Friday and now they need to do a 2nd attempt ~ if they are not home this time they will do a "Nail & Mail" where they post the notice to their door and then mail it to them...THEN the 72 hours starts...

So...I am in "wait" mode right now!
UGH!!!!

How annoying..I'm sure those tenants know the game and are just trying to get a few extra days..oh well they'll be gone soon enough. hang in there!

Old 01-09-2012, 09:47 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,518,242 times
Ohhhhh yeah. They know the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting