Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 05:50 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times

Advertisements

Why is at every eviction we deal with, a wheel chair and/or walkers are left behind? The tenants have collected disability and trashed the places and every healthy person would get sick if they lived like them...

It is like the parking spots for handicapped people where you see "healthy" looking people easily walk into a store, just cheating the system so they can be lazy and close to the store, mean while taking a spot from a person who really needs it!

Btw except for one case, all others were evictions from inherited tenants that were granted to move in without background check!

The one exception, we had first, last en security dep. and they were out before they used their last month rent, but also "oxygen use" sign on the door, wheel chair and handicap signs on the car while living like pigs, but at least they left the place clean and no trash behind and before the writ of possession was signed by the judge, which saved us $ 90.-.

The eviction we were waiting for to be signed for by the judge, and which we noticed they had abandoned the property, left the place in such a distress it is not even funny...and I would rather have a pig in my house than these people...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 03:57 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,378,530 times
I think it's dangerous to be judgmental when you don't really know that much about another person's health.

I remember standing in line at the DMV a couple of years ago - the line was so long it had twisted outside, and I was nearing the front door - finally! And the people behind me were talking about how lucky the disabled were, because they got to go right in, and get in a special line. Then a big new truck roars up, and it's being driven by this young hot guy, and he parks right in front of the DMV, and pulls out a handicapped hanger, and pops it on his rear-view mirror. And the people behind me start making comments! They're instantly mad, convinced that this young hot guy is trying to cheat they system, and he's going to get to waltz right in and get served, and he's not even disabled! Just instant anger. Then the young hot guy hops out of his big truck - literally hops - and it's clear that something is up, and as he comes around toward us, he has only one leg, and he's using a kind of half-crutch to enable him to walk.

From a distance he looked young and hot and healthy. And he was. But he was also legitimately disabled, and walking was a real issue for him.

It's also possible for people to need things like walkers and wheel chairs and even oxygen, temporarily, right after surgery or an injury. But as they heal, they may no longer need those items.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:52 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
I think it's dangerous to be judgmental when you don't really know that much about another person's health.

I remember standing in line at the DMV a couple of years ago - the line was so long it had twisted outside, and I was nearing the front door - finally! And the people behind me were talking about how lucky the disabled were, because they got to go right in, and get in a special line. Then a big new truck roars up, and it's being driven by this young hot guy, and he parks right in front of the DMV, and pulls out a handicapped hanger, and pops it on his rear-view mirror. And the people behind me start making comments! They're instantly mad, convinced that this young hot guy is trying to cheat they system, and he's going to get to waltz right in and get served, and he's not even disabled! Just instant anger. Then the young hot guy hops out of his big truck - literally hops - and it's clear that something is up, and as he comes around toward us, he has only one leg, and he's using a kind of half-crutch to enable him to walk.

From a distance he looked young and hot and healthy. And he was. But he was also legitimately disabled, and walking was a real issue for him.

It's also possible for people to need things like walkers and wheel chairs and even oxygen, temporarily, right after surgery or an injury. But as they heal, they may no longer need those items.
Good post. I don't understand folks that are trying to be the "disability police". I had a family member that looked young and fit. She was going through cancer treatment , had recently had a lung removed and could only walk so far before getting winded, tired, etc. She had a handicapped card for parking. I am sure some folks judged her because she "looked" fine.

Heard another story from a person that had a temporary disabled card that you hang on your rear view mirror after you park. The rule is that you remove the card from your mirror while driving, and hang it from the mirror when you park. So the person pulls into the handicap parking spot and is still in the car. A pedestrian in the parking lot stands behind the car and starts screaming "NOT FAIR---HEY....NOT FAIR, NOT FAIR." Person in the car places the handicap tag on the mirror and gets out of the car, limping. The person that was screaming then says "oh", and walks away.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:17 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
I didn't get the impression that the OP was summarily dismissing the handicapped, merely venting because she happens to have had bad experiences renting to them which have cost her money. Bentlebee, in answer to your question, "Why is at every eviction we deal with, a wheel chair and/or walkers are left behind?" you're plain darned unlucky, I guess! Sell 'em on eBay!

Old 01-04-2012, 07:27 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,374,791 times
I suspect that it is because some people get them for free. Some people - and this has nothing to do with having or not having a disability - seem to think that if something is free it has no value.

Some of the worst tenants I ever had and who were getting a completely free ride from the state couldn't be bothered to notify the welfare authorities when they moved out. As a result, WIC boxes kept getting delivered. You'd think they would have said something or tried to get the boxes forwarded but no.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:41 AM

295 posts, read 1,179,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
It is like the parking spots for handicapped people where you see "healthy" looking people easily walk into a store, just cheating the system so they can be lazy and close to the store, mean while taking a spot from a person who really needs it!

I have to say that I take exception with this statement. I have a handicapped placard. I look healthy but I also have 2 forms of arthritis plus my back is a mess from arthritis and disc issues. There are days when I just cannot walk from the far end of the parking lot so I use my placard. Do I use it all the time? No....but I do use it when I need it.

I am not trying to cheat the system and I'm not too lazy to walk to the store. I have a genuine disability that when it flares up - it is horrible so I use my placard.

Please think before you make a broad generalization.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:43 AM

295 posts, read 1,179,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Heard another story from a person that had a temporary disabled card that you hang on your rear view mirror after you park. The rule is that you remove the card from your mirror while driving, and hang it from the mirror when you park. So the person pulls into the handicap parking spot and is still in the car. A pedestrian in the parking lot stands behind the car and starts screaming "NOT FAIR---HEY....NOT FAIR, NOT FAIR." Person in the car places the handicap tag on the mirror and gets out of the car, limping. The person that was screaming then says "oh", and walks away.
I have actually had this happen to me before. I had just parked and had not put my placard up yet but this woman just starts making a huge scene. If I hadn't needed to pick up the prescription that I was at the store to get I would have just driven away. It was so embarassing to have this woman yell at me.

I put the placard up and stepped out of my car with my cane and asked her if she felt better after making an a** out of herself becuase she was prejudging before she knew the story. She just looked at me and told me to eff off and then walked to her Escalade and spun out of the parking lot.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:47 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malone7384 View Post
I have to say that I take exception with this statement. I have a handicapped placard. I look healthy but I also have 2 forms of arthritis plus my back is a mess from arthritis and disc issues. There are days when I just cannot walk from the far end of the parking lot so I use my placard. Do I use it all the time? No....but I do use it when I need it.

I am not trying to cheat the system and I'm not too lazy to walk to the store. I have a genuine disability that when it flares up - it is horrible so I use my placard.

Yes, but you have a legitimate problem and a legitimate placard which you use when you have to. The point the OP is making is that perfectly able-bodied people who are NOT handicapped. regularly slide into handicapped spots because they're simply too darned lazy to walk a bit. I have no doubt that this aggravates and inconveniences you too.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:

I'm not generalizating anything just stating what the sheriff told me and what we have noticed during evictions...the 3 we did all had wheel chairs left behind, walkers and were receiving disability...the last person was really sick, we knew that but why leave your wheel chair behind?

In other homes where people vanished overnight we had the same issue...

We had a lot of dealings with bad tenants because we manage homes that we INHERITED due to bad management by another property management company that never did any background checks and the owner was taken for a lot of money. The remainder that we inherited are good tenants and the rest was replaced...

It is sad that people like that spoil it for ores but I was just stating what we came across and it seems that fraud is huge and we all could save a lot of money if these scam artist would not use government money and fake wheel chairs to go into to file a claim and walk around taking parking places from others in need...

Please retread my OP so you can understand what I really stated! Again the sheriff around here has the same experience and was frustrated too, but he stated that he is so used to it...he even stated that often there are drugs use involved as well.

If you want to blame someone don't blame me , blame the fraud committing tenants!!!!!

Old 01-06-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
I have actually had this happen to me before. I had just parked and had not put my placard up yet but this woman just starts making a huge scene. If I hadn't needed to pick up the prescription that I was at the store to get I would have just driven away. It was so embarassing to have this woman yell at me.

I put the placard up and stepped out of my car with my cane and asked her if she felt better after making an a** out of herself becuase she was prejudging before she knew the story. She just looked at me and told me to eff off and then walked to her Escalade and spun out of the parking lot.
I understand at she judged too early but you don't know her story and if you forgot to have it at first she was right at that moment.

My friend blew up at someone for a similar reason...her dad is paralyzed from the neck down and often can't park his car and has to wait for people who don't seem to need a handicap parking spot...he drives a car and needs a wide spot to get out on the side of the car...she knows what it is for her dad so she will get mad at every one who seems to misuse it...!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting