Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 02:00 PM

831 posts, read 2,825,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Had this problem once at a small 6 unit property where the owner provided a washer and dryer at no charge in the basement...

A family was inviting everyone over to wash and it got out of hand.

The decision was to provide notice that new coin-op machines were going in and as soon as they did... the non-residents disappeared.
Ridiculous that some people take advantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 02:15 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
no jail time? darn.
There could be if the landlord wants to call the cops on them, especially if they are a repeat offender.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,074 times
What if another Tennant goes over to another Tenant's home that's renting from the same Landlord to wash and dry clothes twice a week?

Old 01-15-2018, 11:30 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
is it legal to have your friends come over and use the complex washer and dryers?
I don’t think it’s a legality issue. It’s a violation of the lease agreement My leases state the property and it’s amenities are for use by the listed occupants only.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:31 PM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
That is rude if the non-tenant uses the washer/dryer regularly. OP does not say which is the case.

But even if it is one time only, I as a paying renter would be thoroughly upset if i needed to use the laundry, and a non-tenant was taking advantage and now kept me from being able to use the washer/dryer.

So since you never know when it will be busy, then non-tenants need to NOT use the washer & dryer.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:52 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
If the washer and dryer are inside your own unit, the machines belong to you, and you are paying for all of your own water and all of your own power, you can probably get away with letting your house guest use your machines occassionally.

Other than that, you are taking the risk of being asked to leave, or at least being non-renewed.

If the machines are in a laundry room and your landlord sees non-tenants hauling in baskets of dirty laundry, you are asking for problems.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:09 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Had this problem once at a small 6 unit property where the owner provided a washer and dryer at no charge in the basement...

A family was inviting everyone over to wash and it got out of hand.

The decision was to provide notice that new coin-op machines were going in and as soon as they did... the non-residents disappeared.

This resident would disappear too if faced with a coin-operated laundry. For years I lived with umpreen roommates with "normal" washers and dryers.

If I had to pay to do laundry I'd just go to a commercial laundromat.

Everything is a freaking profit center these days but I don't have to buy into it.

(When I relocated I lived with my aunt until I could resume normal activities and did some office work in the rental office, where I learned that EVERY amenity imaginable had a price, down to the icemaker ($5/mo) in my aunt's refrigerator.)

Old 01-16-2018, 12:13 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If the washer and dryer are inside your own unit, the machines belong to you, and you are paying for all of your own water and all of your own power, you can probably get away with letting your house guest use your machines occassionally.

Other than that, you are taking the risk of being asked to leave, or at least being non-renewed.

If the machines are in a laundry room and your landlord sees non-tenants hauling in baskets of dirty laundry, you are asking for problems.

If I'm a landlord and I see non-tenants hauling in baskets of dirty laundry, I'm seeing dollar signs and an opportunity to increase off-peak revenue.

What am i missing?

Old 01-16-2018, 01:33 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina Marie Summers View Post
What if another Tennant goes over to another Tenant's home that's renting from the same Landlord to wash and dry clothes twice a week?
Still a Big No! My son & I went from his home to a 2 bedroom apt. Then Under the Same LL/housing we got 2 - 1 bedroom apts in Different complexes. I aske the Apt mgr IF we could do laundry together she said yes But the 1st time we did She said there was 2 many complaints... Say What... 1st we did it late at night so no holding up the neighbors 2 we were Both there to get it done quickly. I only asked because I Needed the Help I was Not phy able to do much. Anyway after that I took our money to the Laundry matt... When we moved here there was a Mom living in this complex & her DD living in another complex Same Mgr They too got into trouble. BTW in Both cases the Machines were/are Not Free!

Old 01-16-2018, 01:35 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I don’t think it’s a legality issue. It’s a violation of the lease agreement My leases state the property and it’s amenities are for use by the listed occupants only.
2012 post by the OP Take a Look at the current date
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting