Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 11:43 AM

3 posts, read 21,680 times

Advertisements

I need advice. I called my landlord January 2 to pick up January's rent since I don't have a mailing address for him and we have had this arrangement for the past 6 or 7 years. He hasn't picked up the rent as of today or returned any of my calls. I also sent him a text message. Is this a ploy to try and get me out?? Please help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 11:52 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,622,307 times
1. WHAT STATE ARE YOU IN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2. What exactly does the LEASE say about paying rent?
3. Are you on a lease or month-to-month?

Old 01-18-2012, 11:53 AM

I'm in California.
My rent is due by the 5th of the month.
I'm on month to month tenancy.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:08 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,492,458 times
Weird, is the landlord the owner? Is there a property tax bill online that you can get a mailing address from, if so? Person could also be sick hurt dead or on vacation.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:14 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,495,863 times
If this has been your practice for the last several years and there's never been a problem, I'll bet something's happened to your LL. Surely you have SOME way of finding out what's going on?

Old 01-18-2012, 12:18 PM

819 posts, read 3,201,216 times
Gotta love the LL who refuses their personal info. When I was rented my last place before I bought my house, the LL refused to give us a mailing address. They would come every month and pick it up. I never understood that. I never called them to come get it, they knew where it was. Sometimes he would come on the 2nd, other times not until the 10th or later. Not my problem.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:07 PM

I don't think anything has happened to him. I left a message with his son-in-law(my neighbor) to call me and still no response. I'm really beginning to think is this some kind of tactic to say that I paid my rent late in order to serve me a notice. Good thing is.....I get cashier checks from my credit union payable to him. It's just a headache having to deal with unnecessary nonsense. Thanks everyone for your comments.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:30 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,388,840 times
If you are on a month-to-month, he simply gives you 30 (or 15 day, etc) notice to move out. He doesn't have to mess with making you pay late and then eviction.

I don't think this situation is related to him trying to get you to move.

I think something happened. Maybe the SIL doesn't know about it. Could be health or marital issues or maybe even a vacation.

He probably picks up the rent for 2 reasons. #1) He wants to come to the house and check things out and #2) He doesn't want to give out his personal address, though he could get a PO Box.

He is probably not responding because he doesn't want anyone know he is on vacation or having health issues, etc. Trying to keep it low key.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:46 PM

831 posts, read 2,818,979 times
If he wanted you out he would simply get rid of you.

The guy could be dead or in the hospital.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:47 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,385,217 times
I agree with sware2cod. On a month to month deal, there is no reason to play any games. If he wanted you to move, all he has to do is give you 30 days notice to vacate (unless you are in one of those rent controlled places, like in NYC, I understand from what I read on these forums that they are a nightmare to get tenants out of, but since you didn't say you are, then I assume it is just a regular old month to month).

If the SIL also isn't answering, then maybe they are on vacation together, or maybe the LL is in the hospital or even died, and the SIL is dealing with that and hasn't had time to return calls. I know it is cold to say, but have you checked the obits? If it has been 48 hours since you called the SIL, I would try him again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting