Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 12:07 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarysPoppins View Post
I am asking people to be honest. Why don't more people clean up after their dogs when walking them? If I step in another pile of dog poop I am going to scream.

Our management company has tried to address this issue but people do not seem to get the fact they should be picking up their dog's feces.

I spoke one day with the rental manager and she said they may even revoke the privilege of pet ownership if this keeps up.

That means it will be even more difficult to find a rental in a very tight market that allows a dog.

How do your complexes or landlords handle this issue?
Your management company needs to be more on top of this. A few reports, a few hefty fines and it will stop. It continues because it is allowed to. Speak with your property management company...start complaining.
Koale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 12:54 PM

370 posts, read 1,365,930 times
Good pets (well behaved and trained) are a lot less destructive than drunks punching walls, heavy smokers, and other 'no so desirable' tenants.

I blame the people. The animals have to go somewhere. They have no idea what they are doing is annoying and unhealthy.

My management company HAS tried to do something but like with other situations, you cannot police slobs and flouters 24/7.

We're moving when the lease is up anyhow to another town in the area.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:15 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
One of my neighbors did that to another neighbor before, minus the bag. They had four large dogs and they took them right outside their front door to poop. The man next door to them got tired of his toddler stepping in it and he scooped up every piece he could find and made a huge mound on their doorstep.

After that they started taking the dogs to the back of the building to go, right in front of my patio, so we started keeping water guns out there and we'd shoot the dog with the water when it started to go.
Who the heck would rent an apartment to someone w/ 4 dogs!! Crazy.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:53 PM

35 posts, read 175,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Who the heck would rent an apartment to someone w/ 4 dogs!! Crazy.

Unless they aren't supposed to have that many. One of my old apt neighbors somehow ended up with 8 pitbulls (They were banned there too but somehow she got the landlord to think the only dog she was allowed to have was a golden retriever) He finally caught on...4 months later.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:56 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lz0 View Post
So many of the places I looked at recently were cats only, or no pets period. The few apartments in the city that permit dogs make a huge selling point of it as it's becoming rarer and rarer.

Unfortunately, it's a result of entitlement-minded pricks who think "freedom" means "freedom from responsibility and consideration of others."
The problem is in the word "renter". Renters don't care. Mind you not all of them but a lot more than condo or home owners.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:33 PM

831 posts, read 2,826,104 times
I don't like pets, I would not move to a place that allowed them.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:12 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
I don't like pets, I would not move to a place that allowed them.
There are plenty of places that don't allow them that you can move to.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:06 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,423,914 times
Sad isn't it. The last townhome my parents and I stayed in allowed pets with no weight restrictions. I picked up after my Great Dane every time he went. The neighbors next to us had two daschunds that would leave surprises in our front and back section. I've personally seen them not pick up after their animals. Informed the front office about the matter a few days later there was less mess although the people didn't pick up every time.

Honestly I cringe at the majority of pet owners I see; they have MINIMAL if NO CONTROL over their animals. Many of these people can barely walk their dogs let alone anything else. Unfortunately for every well behaved pet and responsible owner there there are countless irresponsible ones.

I think pets should be allowed but only if certain restrictions were applied like requiring dogs to have OB certificates or a CGC prior to move in, then having an evaluator assess the dog(s). I’d be a PITA to rent from by most owners but a responsible owner will make no objection to this.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 01-31-2012, 01:12 AM

35 posts, read 175,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildnFree View Post
they have MINIMAL if NO CONTROL over their animals.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Exactly. My dogs are social, but my one is skittish around other people and dogs she doesn't know (abused as a puppy-but not kids, she just loves them to death). But it is sad when I can control TWO big dogs, but yet one dog is like a heeler/lab mix...they can't control it to the point it will break free and come running full on and they stand back calling "Oreo" 50 times instead of walking over and grabbing it. There's another dog, they have warned to keep on a leash, but they don't and it caused me to go face first into the pavement in a tangle of my dogs leashes when it decided to run at me. All I got was "sorry" like it was ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting