Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 09:33 AM

18,466 posts, read 31,624,300 times

Advertisements

my living room is back to back with my neighbors bedroom on one side of the apartment, fortunetely for her we are in bed by 10 so it is very quiet for her.

my kitchen is back to back with my neighbors bathroom on the other side of the apartment, we hear the water running and stuff like that, but who cares, in the kitchen it doesn't matter anyway.

my bedroom is back to back with my neighbors sons bedroom, the wall has been soundproofed on their side before they moved in because of the noise I would hear from the previous tenants. Now we don't hear noises like TV, or radios or loud talking, we just hear foot steps, and there is nothing you can do about that.

Once and a while we hear the tenant below TV late at night, but not to often.

Luckily we like all the people around us now so we don't have any problems. But it always wasn't like that.........We have had our share of tenants from hell!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 01:08 PM

819 posts, read 3,207,609 times
I live in an end unit Townhouse. The first few months were nice. No noise at all. We have a cement fire wall inbetween us. Oh, but then it started. All they do is fight! At least 3 times a week I hear the mother & kid fighting like crazy. The kid is like 13 or so, but wow, they really go at it.
I would love to figure out how to find out if they are renting or they own the unit.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:23 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,469,020 times
I've lived in only one apartment in my life, but I was there for 3 years. Oddly, based on noise, I'm pretty sure I never had a neighbor next door or anyone living above me. I did occasionally hear the person 2 floors above me vacuuming. Either that or they were really really well built. Maybe they were, because the parking spaces were always mostly full.

As a landlord, I know most of our duplexes have relatively thin walls, that is all code requires, and I do get noise complaints on them sometimes. But shared wall townhouses have much more strict building codes and the noise insulation is much better on them, at least in my area.

I currently own and live in a shared wall townhouse with some extra soundproofing built in, and I hear my neighbor only in the early hours of the morning when I'm in the bathroom and she's in her closet, which are on adjoining walls, and it is very quiet in the house. I think I heard her dog bark once when it was very quiet, also. Otherwise, I wouldn't know I have a neighbor.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:36 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,750,224 times
I'm a tub soaker after work (I know TMI but it gets even better) & when we 1st moved to Alaska we were in a condo with a shared wall. I could soak in my tub & hear my neighbor in her tub on her cell phone relatingjuicy stories of getting in trouble with the law etc etc and this was even worse, when her gentleman friend would join her. We will never share a wall again, particularly a bathroom wall LOL.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:41 PM

831 posts, read 2,825,608 times
My garden apt. was built in 1940 and when my neighbors are at work, I am very comfortable. Therefore, I know it's them.
They're ridiculous and ignorant, mostly the wife. The man isn't so bad, but the lady is seriously not all there. The drops things all the time, walks like zombie (hard), slides furniture constantly, wears heel type shoes and clunks, blasts the tv so she can hear it from the kitchen, stomps up the stairs, slams the toilet seat down when she goes to the bathroom (100 times a day), and never sleeps.

Thank god she works and goes to church or i'd be doomed.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:30 PM

804 posts, read 2,891,639 times
Make srue there are strong no smoking rules for the apartment you are looking at if your a non smoker. If your neighbor smokes the smoke will come right through the wall and make your house stink too.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:17 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnofish View Post
Make srue there are strong no smoking rules for the apartment you are looking at if your a non smoker. If your neighbor smokes the smoke will come right through the wall and make your house stink too.

rule number one next time i rent--right now i am up coughing and anticipating an ER visit cause person on other side of wall has been burning strong incense for 24 hours straight probably to cover her drug use odors----tomorrow i will visit local/fire/police station for pointers and monday the board of health----open to all other ideas

Old 01-29-2012, 08:10 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,009,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
rule number one next time i rent--right now i am up coughing and anticipating an ER visit cause person on other side of wall has been burning strong incense for 24 hours straight probably to cover her drug use odors----tomorrow i will visit local/fire/police station for pointers and monday the board of health----open to all other ideas

When you contacted your landlord about this problem, what was their response?

Old 01-29-2012, 09:45 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
When you contacted your landlord about this problem, what was their response?
from landlady--boss of the family----she's my friend----i just hope she doesn't burn my house down or get it taken away from me(since discovered they go out drinking together and ll has a business in a high drug area)-----had i known this or met this woman before hand i would have never rented here---looking for handicap accessible single home

NEVER encountered this in fla---darryl strawberry was once my next door neighbor and his drug use never impacted my condo life

Old 01-29-2012, 02:41 PM

804 posts, read 2,891,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
You can take them to court over the nuisance. If you start researching it you will find you have several legal options.

http://www.tcsg.org/sfelp/fha_01.pdf

Fact Sheet: Legal Options for Tenants Suffering from Drifting Tobacco Smoke | PHLP

[SIZE=3][SIZE=3][LEFT]If tobacco smoke drifts into your apartment from a
neighboring unit, causing you illness or discomfort,
you may wonder whether you can take legal action.
Suing your neighbor or landlord is an option, but
it should be your last resort. Lawsuits are time
consuming, expensive, and contentious, and the
outcome is always uncertain. In a lawsuit regarding
drifting tobacco smoke in an apartment building, the
result is especially unpredictable because very few
cases, and no state laws, are directly relevant.
Before suing, you should try to reach an agreement
with your neighbor to limit where and when s/he
smokes. You also could ask your landlord or property
manager to make certain areas of the building
smokefree. In addition, you could work to pass a law
in your community to address the problem of drifting
smoke in multi-unit residences. If these approaches
fail, you may even want to consider moving.
If you reach the point where a lawsuit seems to be
your only option, this fact sheet outlines several
things to consider.[/LEFT]
[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=4][SIZE=4][SIZE=4][LEFT]Evaluating Your Case[/LEFT]
[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][LEFT]To help you evaluate your potential lawsuit,
ask yourself three questions: What harm have I
suffered? Who is responsible? And what do I want
to get out of a lawsuit?[/LEFT]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[LEFT]What harm have I suffered?[/LEFT]
[SIZE=3][SIZE=3][LEFT]As a general rule, it is unwise to file a lawsuit unless
you have suffered significant harm. Your chance
of convincing a court that you have a justifiable
legal claim is far better if you can show that you
have been harmed badly by repeated, unwanted
exposure to secondhand smoke in your apartment
—for instance, if you have visited a doctor with
frequent respiratory complaints, missed work due[/LEFT]
to illness caused by the smoke, stayed away from [SIZE=3][SIZE=3]
[LEFT]home when you know your neighbor tends to
smoke, or kept your windows closed in hot weather
or your heater off in cold weather to prevent smoke
from entering your unit.[/LEFT]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[LEFT]Who is responsible?[/LEFT]
[SIZE=3][SIZE=3][LEFT]Depending on your
situation, it may be
your neighbor [/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][SIZE=3]and[/LEFT]
[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][LEFT]your landlord. Your
neighbor could
be responsible for
harming you directly
by smoking, and
your landlord could
be responsible for
knowing about the
drifting smoke and
failing to do anything
to protect you from
it. So you may be able
to sue both your landlord and your neighbor, or you[/LEFT]
may be able to sue only one or the other.
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting